Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Need serious computer tech help...!Could be memory.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    512mb is so last week. Get 2 stick of 512 pc3200....i'm gonna guess your cpu is running 400fsb because it's a dell....so anything higher than 2700(2100 is for 400fsb) is usless., but if it's 800fsb get pc3200. With a gig you'll load faster, and it won't have to hit the page file as much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dell Dimension
    that's all you need to know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dont know if its glidlagrad or kullagrad really,just ordered all parts from a company in Malmö who assembled it as well.
    I´ve had itf for about 2 years,using the PC for approx. 3 or 4 hours a day.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tobbe is it

Glidlagrad

or

Kullagrad

(sorry forgot the english words for em)

and how old is the fan?

fans usaly last 6 months to 3 years depending on usage and workload RPM

one of my fans have started to fail during boot meaning it's basicly stuck.... and my bios wount boot without a full number o' rotating fans

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The fan on my PC is sounding like an aircraft..should i give it permission to lift off?

Seriously,is it dying or something?

Ok,off topic in an off topic thread,sorry.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dell makes it fairly easy to check on your system specs. Goto Dells website and goto their support page. When you get there look on the left side bar for something that says "my system specs" You'll need your 7 digit service tag, and after entering it, the site will display a page that has your complete system specs on it.

The other way to check what speed you're running at is to go into bios and see what speed your memory is running at. No need to crack the case or anything.

On a side note, Dell seems to update their bios fairly regularly. You may want to note which version you're currently running and then check the downloads for your machine to see if they've got something more up to date. No bs, my laptop that I bought back in May has had 5 bios updates in that time. Dell, also allows you to enter into something 'my system file watch' which will alert you if newer drivers or bios comes out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Impy
    Well when he said the 'old' memory standard I thought he meant old - not RDRAM - lol

Impy
    No i was just laughing cause EDO, SIMMS and all that is old!

I dunno - lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by shottah_king
    EDO SIMMS is ancient! lol lol

Extended Data Output
    Well when he said the 'old' memory standard I thought he meant old - not RDRAM - lol

Impy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Impy
    Its EDO SIMMS (single inline memory module) which had to be bought in matched pairs, now we use DIMMS (dual inline memory module) which you can install a single stick of

Impy
    EDO SIMMS is ancient! lol lol

Extended Data Output

Leave a comment:

• replied
    umm... is there anything i can do about my sucky 266mhz sticks?

would my old as fsck mobo support faster ram?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    RDRAM needed to be ran in pairs. I think they came out when the p4 hit the market. The standard is expensive and is no longer used...as faster and cheaper ram is available.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KriLL3
    no ddr memory dont come in pairs... unless it's twin dual channle stuff.. but that's very new and wasn't even in use when his dell was made

your thinking of the old ram standard... forgot it's name... it's 2 letters though RD or SD...

they came in pairs and was slower than a snail in reverse
    Its EDO SIMMS (single inline memory module) which had to be bought in matched pairs, now we use DIMMS (dual inline memory module) which you can install a single stick of

Impy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Loosecontroll6
    cool...thanx guys!.

How would i find out what speed the memory is (2700, 3200 etc)...and how do i find out what memory i would have to buy to be compatible with the current one.
    Go here and use ther memory selector:
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.asp

You bascially enter the product description of your machine and crucial looks up waht memory you require

You dont have to buy the memory from them but at leasdt youll have some idea what you need (however if you do buy from crucial they do guarantee memory bought via the selector to be compatable with your machine....so if your a noob its useful)

Impy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    2x DIMM Synchronous SDRAM 256MB/64 bit @ 266Mt/s

(says SiSoftware Sandra)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KriLL3
    no ddr memory dont come in pairs... unless it's twin dual channle stuff.. but that's very new and wasn't even in use when his dell was made

your thinking of the old ram standard... forgot it's name... it's 2 letters though RD or SD...

they came in pairs and was slower than a snail in reverse
    Is it SDRAM, RDRAM?

pc 133 = standard before ddr 266 pc2100
    pc 100
    pc 66

Leave a comment:

Working...
X