Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Need serious computer tech help...!Could be memory.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT - Need serious computer tech help...!Could be memory.

Hey guys.
    Sorry for posting this here but i hope some peeps can help.

I really think my computer isn't as fast as it should be, cos i see people with lower specs getting better results.

Here is my system (It's new...only bought a few months ago).

Dell Dimension p4 2.4 gig
    Ati Radeon 9800 128meg graphics.
    256meg ddr ram
    80 gig HD

Now UT2003 runs reasonably well but has long load times still and even though i get 60-70fps there are always pauses and freezes during matches all the time.

FarCry is just unplayable...Takes 5-10mins to load and always crashes and when it does work about 15fps at 1024x768 on med settings. I have seen people getting much better fps on much lower spec pc's.

So do you think it's my memory or something else. I have latest drivers on everything.

If it is my memory, how do i find out what kind i need to work with my computer (It's UK)...so i need to find out.

Thanx.

Re: OT - Need serious computer tech help...!Could be memory.

Originally posted by Loosecontroll6
    Hey guys.
    Sorry for posting this here but i hope some peeps can help.

I really think my computer isn't as fast as it should be, cos i see people with lower specs getting better results.

Here is my system (It's new...only bought a few months ago).

Dell Dimension p4 2.4 gig
    Ati Radeon 9800 128meg graphics.
    256meg ddr ram
    80 gig HD

Now UT2003 runs reasonably well but has long load times still and even though i get 60-70fps there are always pauses and freezes during matches all the time.

FarCry is just unplayable...Takes 5-10mins to load and always crashes and when it does work about 15fps at 1024x768 on med settings. I have seen people getting much better fps on much lower spec pc's.

So do you think it's my memory or something else. I have latest drivers on everything.

If it is my memory, how do i find out what kind i need to work with my computer (It's UK)...so i need to find out.

Thanx.

Another stick of 256 ddr memory would help alot!

Comment

You really need some more ram. 512 ddr minimum

Comment

these guys got it..more memory would help you out..

Also, I'm not sure what speed Dell put in there, they could have cheaped out and put PC2700 in there..Get good memory, PC3200 to take full advantage of your FSB..512Mb would be a minimum.

if your current memory is is slower speed, it will probably be more cost effective for you to just buy an extra stick at the same speed that you already have..Your call tho.

Comment

cool...thanx guys!.

How would i find out what speed the memory is (2700, 3200 etc)...and how do i find out what memory i would have to buy to be compatible with the current one.

Comment

Buying Memory of the same brand is always best IMO.
            I'm not sure how to check the speed of the memory though. Hopefully someone will come along and help you with that .

Comment

if you open your case the memory may have a sticker on it with the size and speed of it..

You could download SiSoft Sandra and it'll tell you exactly what you have, as well as let you run benchmarks. Also CPU-z will tell you what you have as well, but no benchmarks included.

Comment

Originally posted by Loosecontroll6
                cool...thanx guys!.

How would i find out what speed the memory is (2700, 3200 etc)...and how do i find out what memory i would have to buy to be compatible with the current one.
                Well there are a few ways. You can check your bios, or you can check dells site cause you have a dell! you can take out the memory look for a sticker that says pc 2100, pc 2700 pc 3200.

EDIT: Oh if you do decide to take out the memory make sure you ground yourself before doing it!

pc 2100 = ddr 266
                pc 2700 = ddr 333
                pc 3200 = ddr 400

Comment

Dont memory sticks come in pairs?
                  So if you have 128 you have 2 64 sticks,256, 2 128 sticks?
                  So as i see it you´ll have to get 2 new sticks of ram like 2 256 sticks..as i remember it from putting it in myself.

Comment

no ddr memory dont come in pairs... unless it's twin dual channle stuff.. but that's very new and wasn't even in use when his dell was made

your thinking of the old ram standard... forgot it's name... it's 2 letters though RD or SD...

they came in pairs and was slower than a snail in reverse

Comment

Ops,ok Krille.Lol,it was some time since i did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobbe
                        Dont memory sticks come in pairs?
                        So if you have 128 you have 2 64 sticks,512, 2 128 sticks?
                        So as i see it you´ll have to get 2 new sticks of ram like 2 256 sticks..as i remember it from putting it in myself.
                        You can have just have one 512 stick of memory installed in your system if you want! (single channel)

If your mainboard supports dual channel that means you can buy 2 of the same sticks of ram and utilize dual channel technology!!!

I don't think you really see a big difference when using dual channel with fps!

Comment

xp+ut2003 uses over 500mb of memory
                          the pauses are from using your paging file(virtual memory)
                          the dell prolly came with pc2100

Comment

xp+ut2003 uses over 500mb of memory
                            the pauses are from using your paging file(virtual memory)
                            the dell prolly came with pc2100
                            Cool...so if iut's that speed (probably is)...should buying a new 512meg make things run better you think...so then i would have 768meg ddr 2100 overall.

Comment

wow.. my compaq with p4 2.0Ghz (willamete) 512mb ram and GF5600Ultra

got 266mhz ram... awsome :up:

...not

Comment

Working...
                              X