how would you rank the 9 normal weapons in order of range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H3i53nb3rg View Post
    The 45 degrees thingy doesn't take air resistance into account.
    I don't think epic made any air resistance in ut2004 :P

but yeah in rl air resistance ftw

Comment

Heh, yeah I remember seeing a question on a physics exam (from a few years before I took the subject) where people had to explain how they would go about adjusting the standard projectile motion equations to take into account air resistance.[/geek]

Comment

Originally posted by Ben1220 View Post
        I would say that bio rifle has less possible range then the flak cannon, but the flak cannons effective range cuts off before the bios does, in other words the bios effective range is closer to its max range then the flak cannon's. The flak cannon has a max possible range much further away from its effective range, as after a few meters flak spread becomes so high that it does next to no damage. In fact the flaks max range is probably until it hits the wall. How you rank them on range in general though is more difficult and probably depends on your playing style or past experiences with the weapons. I would say that flak goes before bio, despite the fact that bio has a longer real range, the reason is that the flak becomes almost useless past its effective range. Another variable between the weapons (particulary the projectiles) that we could consider ia their speed, as the slower the speed the more suited the weapon would be to close range as it is easier to dictate where your target will be with a slow weapon at close range. This is why the rocket launcher should be classified as a mid range weapon imo, despite fact that it hits where you aim, unlike the flak or bio, its weapon speed means that it is hard to use for long ranges.

we are having a great discussion
        oh now you want effective range....you cheeky ******* :P

Comment

1- shock
          2- lighting
          3-flak
          4- rockets
          5-mini
          6-bio
          7-shield
          8-link
          9-assault

Shock is without a doubt the best weapon, and I use it the most( I would consider it my default weapon) Lighting gun is another great gun. Good for both short range and long range attacks.Plus, you can use it as a setup weapon(hit someone with lighting and then switch to flak) Flak cannon primary fire bounces off walls and is an instant kill up close. There is nothing more satisfyingly than hitting someone in the face with a flak grenade/ball. Rocket launcher is decent, but the sound it makes when loading up rockets is a major disadvantage.Also, rockets are easy to avoid. The minigun, which most people will call a noob gun, provides a steady stream of fire. Bio gun is a one hit kill, and if it misses, interrupts a players movement pattern. Shield another one hit killer. Link gun, I absolutely hate.Seems nearly impossible to fire in a straight line. Assault is rather weak and I prefer the shield gun to it

EDIT: this is not base on range, but on what I think is the best weapons

Comment

Originally posted by ZippyDSMlee View Post
            oh now you want effective range....you cheeky ******* :P

well theoretically most have unlimited range, so i guess i was talking about effective range from the start.

Comment

I always hear the Flak stuck into the box of a midrange to close range weapon. While it's range is limited, it can strike accurately a very long distances. The key is the grenade, and twitch arcing it accurately. It also takes a good eye for target leading.

After playing UT200x for many years I have found that it's all about leading the target in terms of range. I can hit people across large maps with single and triple rockets with ease. Sometimes they are "lockets" (lock-on rockets), or sometimes it's just air rox, and accuracy. Back to target leading. With the Rocket Launcher and Flack, you can be just a deadly as the Shock rifle guy, or the Lightning gun guy. You just have to have matery over the weapon, which is a different style than hitscan. Rare is a player that is truly great with both.

I'd rank them is groups:

Lightning Gun
              Shock

Rox
              Flack

Link
              Mini

Bio
              Shiled

Make sense?

Comment

that makes sense, not many people would put flak as longer range then mini, but I can see your point that the grenade can let you fight in mid range quite well, and I guess the mini does have a spray which gets worse with distance...

Comment

As far as best for range goes:
                  Lightning
                  Shock
                  Mini
                  Assault Rifle
                  Rox
                  Link
                  Bio
                  Flak
                  Shield Gun

If you want an actual list of how they should be used ingame, there isn't one. Any good person will have to use the shield, improvise because they don't have all the weapons all the time, and adjust for where they are in the map.

Comment

I can understand that list. My list was almost identical to yours.

Comment

Working...
                    X