UT2K4 BETA Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    PCZ's review was promising, but offered little new info. I think Willhaven said on here that that was an OLD build... 91%=meaningless.

And their screencaps were dire - Wow, a robot in a grey corridor, check it out! :down:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by E.Terror|MyU
    I had to stop there. :haha:
    rofl, same.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well based on how the actually quote is set up (using a coma), it seems they are referring to the "seven new CTF maps", and not the whole gametype in general. Hence a good reason while you should not just stop reading mid-sentence

Leave a comment:

• replied
    :haha: :haha: :up: :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sorry, i dont get PC zone, so i didnt know it was a copy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Best played with the InstaGib modifier

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's just the UK PC Zone rewiew. It's basically the online version of what was in the magazine. I haven't read it all but those quotes seemed almost if not completely identical. In fact having now just taken a v.quick look, the PC Zone logos are a bit of a give away :P

Still, it certainly makes everything look promising.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks dude, I appreciate it! :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    BTW i really dislike that site due to its layout, use of frames, and the whole registering thing....

Leave a comment:

• started a topic UT2K4 BETA Review

UT2K4 BETA Review

I dont know if this has been posted already, i scanned and have not seen it as a topic:

Computer and Video Games has wipped up a UT2K4 Review based on a beta version:

BETA Review 94/100

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=100242

Capture The Flag stays the same as it's ever been. Grab the enemy's banner and return home before the enemy steals yours. Best played with the InstaGib modifier, the seven new CTF maps vary in size - from an insane single corridor of joust to the vast expanse of an ancient and misty valley dominated by a Chinese temple. The latter is one of the most arresting UT levels we've seen, and one that, were it not for the endless cacophony of conflict, we'd quite like to picnic in someday.

Whether online or off then, UT2004 is a triumphant success. It's certainly not the glorified expansion pack some - myself included - feared. The return of the old stalwart gameplay modes is welcome, despite the fact they will remain unexplored by most people. What's more, the backward compatibility of the game is a feature that will endure it to many veteran deathmatchers still refusing to jump aboard the teamplay bandwagon.

Save for a non-linear, dynamically-structured single-player campaign with endless replayability, UT2004 offers just about all you could ever want in a first-person shooter - and just a smidge more. Out of all the other vehicular shooters, UT2004 is by far the most visceral and accessible, and is almost always fun.

PlanetSide is certainly more 'epic' and rewarding in the long-term, but its size and scale is tempered by moments of excruciating boredom. Similarly, BF1942 may be a more realistic game and certainly a more varied and tactical one, but it's also marked by ungentlemanly play on public servers. What's more, the bots are poor, and on foot, the game is far from being as enjoyable as it is when mounted in a tank or swooping from the skies.

To return to the FIFA analogy, the difference between UT2003 and 2004 is vast, as if the former was just a kickabout in the park. My only worry is how Epic plan on topping it, because aside from bolting on new weapons, maps and vehicles, there isn't much else to be added apart from say a massively-multiplayer persistent-world mode. We'll see. In the meantime, there's more than enough to enjoy this season before we contemplate the next. Game on.
Working...
X