Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't anyone use the Link gun much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also think it will be more frequently used in 2K4, especcially considering what i read in CursiveĀ“s write-up over at the Prounreal forums:

"The pulsegun's sampling rate on the 2ndary fire has been doubled, so no more of those frustrating attempts to hold it on a guy until it registers a hit, now it samples twice as fast and is actually a decent weapon to use. Also the primary fire's apperance has been tweaked feels much more accurate and it seems alot easier to track people with it and actually make it useful. "

sounds kinda nice, doesn't it

Comment

Originally posted by Tunnis
      "The pulsegun's sampling rate on the 2ndary fire has been doubled, so no more of those frustrating attempts to hold it on a guy until it registers a hit, now it samples twice as fast and is actually a decent weapon to use. Also the primary fire's apperance has been tweaked feels much more accurate and it seems alot easier to track people with it and actually make it useful. "
      ^^^ This is the main reason that I hardly ever use the link. The current sampling rate sometimes makes for an agonizing second or 2 of holding the beam on any enemy before a hit is registered.

In a fast paced battle, this pretty much renders the weapon useless.

Comment

When linked, the projectiles move faster and the shaft's range is extended by a scale of 1.5. The projectiles also grow bigger, but I don't know if the actual collision radius is adjusted to make it easier to hit...

Comment

I'd don't dislike the link, but there are many weapons I prefer to it. Also, I like to keep moving when I play so standing still to link is unnatural for me.

Mostly though, it's because I find the combo of good movement and aim with the Lightning Gun and Rocket Launcher to be devastating. I'll pull out the Flak and Shock for close quarters work and crowd control respectively. Combos into crowds always bring a smile. Goo, Link and Mini are, for me, just weapons of convienence.

Comment

Originally posted by -Loric-
            - You don't get a real bonus by linking as of now.
            The bonus you get (1 beam at x2 damage) will make the same damage as if the 2 players were separately shooting at the same opponent ( 2 beams at x1 damage)
            In addition when 2 people shoot separately they increase their chance to hit (since there are 2 beams instead of one, which tends to confuse the opponent and makes it harder for him to escape)
            Not true. 1 link (using 2 linkguns) makes it THREE times as powerful. Also, what other people said: the max distance is also multiplied.
            Linking IS worthwile, but it also makes the beam even swirlier, which is NOT good combined with the low sampling rate.

Originally posted by Tunnis
            AAAAARGH! That's so stupid, I'm going to get really angry now!
            I can't believe Epic programmed both UT1 and UT2k3. Why the hell is there a fixed sampling rate on the CONTINUOUS beam of the linkgun anyway?!
            UT1's pulsegun checked CONTINUOUSLY for hits. 10 shots/second is NOT constant, while the beam SHOULD BE constant.
            I've written a mutator that makes the link emulate UT1's damage system in about 10 minutes. (took another 10 to fine-tune it and fix bugs)
            Why the hell isn't this in in UT2k4?!

Comment

you guys realize that the 'twisty swirling' effect is purely aesthetic right? If its under your crosshair (and in range) itll get zapped, no matter where the beam seems like its going.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilDrWong
                you guys realize that the 'twisty swirling' effect is purely aesthetic right? If its under your crosshair (and in range) itll get zapped, no matter where the beam seems like its going.
                The problem is that it obscures your view. Also, it's very distracting because it's bright and moving fast, and makes it LOOK as if you're shooting somewhere else.

Code:
                    if ( Instigator.Role < ROLE_Authority )
                      return;

if (Other != None && Other != Instigator)
                    {
                      // target can be linked to
                      if (IsLinkable(Other))
                      {
                        if (Other != lockedpawn)
                          SetLinkTo(Pawn(Other));

if (lockedpawn != None)
                          LinkBreakTime = LinkBreakDelay;
                      }
                      else
                      {
                        // stop linking
                        if (lockedpawn != None)
                        {
                          if (LinkBreakTime <= 0.0)
                            SetLinkTo(None);
                          else
                            LinkBreakTime -= dt;
                        }

// FUNKY MODIFIED CODE STARTS HERE... PRETTY MUCH

if (bDoHit)
                        {
                          if (Beam != None) 
                            Beam.bLockedOn = false;

Instigator.MakeNoise(1.0);
                        }

AdjustedDamage = Damage*(1.5*Linkgun.Links+1);
                        BuildUpDamage+= dt*AdjustedDamage/FireRate;
                        if ( ( !Other.bWorldGeometry ) && (Beam != None) )
                          Beam.bLockedOn = true;

if (BuildUpDamage>=15 || (LastHit.IsA('Pawn') && Pawn(LastHit).Health<=BuildUpDamage) || Other!=LastHit || !KeepOnFiring)
                        {
                          TempOther=Other;
                          Other=LastHit;
                          AdjustedDamage = int(round(BuildUpDamage));

if (AdjustedDamage>0)
                          {
                            BuildUpDamage-=AdjustedDamage;  // Leftover decimals are stored to prevent loss of damage when converting from float->int
                                    // When you keep missing, the decimals are somewhat random, but the damage while hitting is
                                    // always 75 points/second on average
                            if ( !Other.bWorldGeometry )
                            {
                              if (Level.Game.bTeamGame && Pawn(Other) != None && (Pawn(Other).PlayerReplicationInfo != None)
                                && Pawn(Other).PlayerReplicationInfo.Team == Instigator.PlayerReplicationInfo.Team) // so even if friendly fire is on you can't hurt teammates
                                AdjustedDamage = 0;

if ((Other.Physics == PHYS_Falling || Other.Physics == PHYS_Flying || Other.Physics == PHYS_Swimming) && (AdjustedDamage > 9)) // Need a major hit to get lockdown
                                MT = DeathMatch(Level.Game).LinkLockDownFactor * MomentumTransfer;
                              else
                                MT = 0.0;
                              Other.TakeDamage(AdjustedDamage, Instigator, HitLocation, MT*X, DamageType);
                            }
                          }
                          Other=TempOther;
                        }

LastHit=Other;

// FUNKY MODIFIED CODE ENDS HERE... MOSTLY
                      } 
                    }

if ( bShouldStop )
                      B.StopFiring();
                    else
                etc...
                BTW, above is the code to make the linkgun check for hits continuously. It's from Linkfire's ModeTick function. Now, I doubt I can code better than Epic (in fact, Epic is the original author of the code, since it's taken almost completely from UT1's pulsegun)
                The funky-modified-code bits show what I changed. The bits above and below those markings are the original linkgun's code.
                If you want the complete file (which is better readable than the above), just PM me or something, and I'll get it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                  Not true. 1 link (using 2 linkguns) makes it THREE times as powerful. Also, what other people said: the max distance is also multiplied.
                  Ok my bad then.

Why the hell isn't this in in UT2k4?!
                  Would take too much bandwidth?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilDrWong
                    In my opinion, aesthetics is a large part in what can make or break a weapon. Wimpy firing sounds, bad weapon model, weird shooting graphics, etc. will affect the feel of any gun and therefore affect the mentality of the person using it.

If the Link shaft was one large straight beam with smaller wiggly ones, it would feel more powerful to me (IMO). The UT PulseGun shaft felt like a giant energy drill, since the beam was straighter, the texture of it looked like many beams going into a central focal point and the gun itself went backwards, looking like the person was recoiling from a great amount of force.

Heh, if you had two versions of the Rocket Launcher, except the other version went "poof" upon firing, the rocket has no trail/corona and the static mesh of the projectile was, say, a spinning crayon... The second version sounds pretty comical, right?

Comment

Originally posted by -Loric-
                      Would take too much bandwidth?
                      Perhaps it would take more bandwidth than the current solution, but it won't be much more. Also, UT1 had it, and I never noticed more lag when firing the pulse than when firing other weapons.

Comment

Perhaps it would take more bandwidth than the current solution, but it won't be much more. Also, UT1 had it, and I never noticed more lag when firing the pulse than when firing other weapons.
                        Agreed:up:

UT1's pulse was pretty much dead on in terms of hit registration and aesthetics... and of course this was with lesser net code than Ut2k3 uses. I can't imagine that bandwidth would be issue with the link.

Comment

wow 4 people crammed into one area and only one of them can shoot at the enemy (referring to the picture)...i'd much rather have 4 people from my team spraying a miniguns or rockets or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Spectre
                            The best way to get your squad using the link, is to just shoot someone else that has it equipped. They will shoot you back at first, and then *hopefully* realize what you are doing and start using it as well. Works wonders on defense.
                            Yeah, but if no one ever uses it, you won't be able to link. Sometimes I start linking with somoen and then they go pick up another weapon, grrr:sour:

Originally posted by Asty
                            wow 4 people crammed into one area and only one of them can shoot at the enemy (referring to the picture)...i'd much rather have 4 people from my team spraying a miniguns or rockets or something.
                            Yeah, but the more peopel that link the more damage it does. SO you can kill in only a few hits.

Also, you dont' have to be crammed in one area, you can like have player 1 shoot Player 2, Player 2 shoot Player 3, Player 3 shoot 4, so its like a straight line:

0====0===0===0

I'm assuming you never linked before, but it can be very handy when playing defense too. One time we go a 3 person link at the entrance to our base, and Nobody.....and I mean Nobody could get through. It was towards the end of the game(we were in lead), and we stopped 3 speed's from scoring(couldn't even get in the door)

Originally posted by CChaos
                            I'd don't dislike the link, but there are many weapons I prefer to it. Also, I like to keep moving when I play so standing still to link is unnatural for me.
                            Who said you have to stand still? You can still move around while you are linked, and the link will even bend some to stay locked on. And if you do a Straight-Line-Link like I said before then it'll be easier to move while linking.

Comment

Working...
                            X