• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is feign death coming back

ever? - just curious

I'm curious too.
    And what about chat animations?

Comment

feign death in IG while using beserk combo...

now that's something i'll like to see.... and frag

Originally posted by tarnationsauce2
      And what about chat animations?
      Back in... several shots & vids show it's back (and it's been said by Willhaven + Dr.Sin etc)

Comment

No, feigh death can't be combined with the use of Karma:
        karma cant be applied to "living" characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamer
          Don't use karma. Use a scripted sequence (like running, crouching, etc.). Am I genius or what?

Comment

Don't use karma. Use a scripted sequence (like running, crouching, etc.). Am I genius or what?
            If you can't tell the difference between a static animation and karma, feign death probably isn't necessary to fake you out

Feign death is not coming back in UT2004. This has been mentioned several times. Do a search.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamer
              True because it's client side only as of today. But not unfeasible at all. It's just a question of someone actually coding it.

What could be made is when the characher feigns death, the karma kicks in but sends the bone information to the server.
              And when the player gets up, the bones are moved so as to be in a fixed position which would correspond to the first frame of the getting up animation.

The only problem left is that the transition from karma position to standard anim could lead to very weird results.
              And it would be hard to define a standard duration for that part of the anim.
              That would probably make the whole "getting up" sequence a bit erratic.

/and Tarnation, the karma death are still one of the best features in UT2003. Removing it wouldn't do any good to the way the game looks.

Comment

Feign death in UT was hilarious...

I remember when I didnt play serious at all, I was feigning death.. and suddenly some1 fragged me from long distance..

I was like wtf? and it appeared I had the shieldbelt

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial
                  If you can't tell the difference between a static animation and karma, feign death probably isn't necessary to fake you out

Feign death is not coming back in UT2004. This has been mentioned several times. Do a search.
                  Well you would make more than one animation per person. And usually the speed is so fast that you don't have time to scrutenize wheather it is scripted or karma. Not to mention all the fancy "karma" we have now is that unpredictable. There are common positions people land in. Just copy those with scripts. Good enough to satify me.
                  Has nobody around here even played UT?

Comment

Make it an adrenaline combo...

You die as normal (full karma) but you respawn where you "died" instead of randomly when the 100 adrenaline counts down, or when you hit the button, whichever comes first.It also doesn't count as a death in your score.

Don't know enough about it to know if it would be possible to make it work with forced respawns.

Honestly though, I really don't care. I've let it go.

Has nobody around here even played UT?
                    Yes... all it does is create the habit of wasting ammunition on blasting bodies.

Bodies dissapear too fast for it to have the same flavour as it did in UT.

Comment

its useless with options like darken dead bodies.

oh wait ttm is the devil and anyone who uses it deserves to die

oh shi

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q
                        Make it an adrenaline combo...

You die as normal (full karma) but you respawn where you "died" instead of randomly when the 100 adrenaline counts down, or when you hit the button, whichever comes first.It also doesn't count as a death in your score.

Don't know enough about it to know if it would be possible to make it work with forced respawns.
                        good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by ast27
                          its useless with options like darken dead bodies.

oh wait ttm is the devil and anyone who uses it deserves to die

oh shi
                          ...darken feigning bodies?

There's not really one reason why feign death isn't coming back. It's more that there's a lot of tiny reasons it just doesn't work.

First, bodies disappear a lot faster in UT2k3 than they did in UT1. Worse even, they disappear in a bright green... thingie (which I hope they removed from UT2k4 if you ask me... just remove the **** ragdoll when nobody sees it, or when there's more than 2 on-screen)

Second, since bodies are done client-side, you will never see a body lying around in a room when you enter. The only situation in which dead bodies appear is when you actually SEE someone die. Meaning that when you feign death and someone sees you, he will ALWAYS shoot.

Third, karma bodies look a lot different from scripted animations. Karma bodies slide off ledges, if you script it, you'll stick or slide off statically. Karma bodies fly at different speeds when killed with different weapons. You'd have to make a lot of animations to simulate that.

Fourth, it's just a lot of coding.

Considering those reasons and the very small percentage of players that even know the feature could be there, let alone the amount of players that care... and also considered the amount of times people that do care would use it, it just isn't worth the time spent on it.
                          (it's fun to write posts about tho')

Comment

You have to get rid of the stupid green ghost de-rez in order to feign anything. I say the green de-rez feign's homosexuality

Give me giblets or give me nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial

I know people can't tell if you feign death, that's why in UT when I'm low on health and someone's chasing me I run around the corner and feign death. Then sometimes they think I was killed and leave me.

Hell, I even feigned deth in the middle of a fight, and the person just walked over me. Then I got up and shot him in the back

Comment

Working...
                              X