Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would I get an FPS increase in UT2003/4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok thanks for the answers! I just reinstalled UT2003 today and defraged major. I still have my celeron , mobo and cpu is not here yet.

But I decided to use the benchmark.exe instead of the bats and I get 98 flyby and around 52 botmatch. On full graphics! must be the video card because it has a plasma capicitor.

Comment

If you install a current top-end graphics card, such as a Radeon 9800 XT, into a system that has a 1GHz P3 and 256MB of ram, you will be wasting your hard-earned dollars. You will see a more direct increase in performance by upgrading the proc, mobo, and ram. Stick with your 9000 Pro, it already has 128MB of DDR and a fairly powerful GPU, even though it is only 4X AGP capable. Higher-end video card prices are dropping every day, so a 9600 or 9800 will be available at a much better price in the coming months.

The applications you use make a big difference in whether you need to upgrade the cpu and memory, or video card, or all three.
      At my work, my engineers are experimenting with VTK (Visualization Toolkit) on Dell 2.2GHz P4s with 512MB DDR266 ram.
      Using the Radeon 7500 64MB cards from the factory, the VTK modules were eating up massive CPU utilitization. We later acquired a handful of NVidia Quadro FX 1000 workstation cards and installed them in the systems, the CPU utilization dropped dramatically. And that's also going from a single monitor to dual monitor setup! We have one dual-monitor Dell 2.8 GHz P4 w/HT and 1 GB of ram that came with an ATI FireGL X1-256, and that system CPU utilization in VTK is, well, virtually non-existent. The graphics card is handling ALL of the graphics work. But, that's VTK. I'm sure UT2K3 is not rendering the same way VTK does.

Comment

You misunderstood me..

I am NOT upgrading my Graphics processor..and I have a 9200 PRO. Maybe you were talking to the other guy..if so I am sorry.

Also I am upgrading to a 2200+ cpu which should be way powerfull enough..as powerfull as a P4 2.2 ghz. And I am also in about 4 months..long time away :cry: going to get 512 megs more ram. Also my ram is PC 3200. pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
          You misunderstood me..

I am NOT upgrading my Graphics processor..and I have a 9200 PRO. Maybe you were talking to the other guy..if so I am sorry.

Also I am upgrading to a 2200+ cpu which should be way powerfull enough..as powerfull as a P4 2.2 ghz. And I am also in about 4 months..long time away :cry: going to get 512 megs more ram. Also my ram is PC 3200. pretty good
          Oops! My bad. Yep, you got the 9200. Sorry, I got confused, I'm old. I have a 9000 Pro. your 9200 is an 8X AGP, so you have more bandwidth than I do. You will see a big enough increase by upgrading your proc. I just saw other posters saying you should upgrade the video. I'm running my 9000 along side a 2500+ Barton and 512MB of Corsair XMS ram. UT2003 Benchmarking, I get 52 FPS on Botmatch and 98 FPS on Flyby at 1024X768 with everything on Ultrahigh detail. Seems like my system does good in botmatch but sucks in flyby, as it seems most users average around 180 to 190 in flybys, or so they are posting.

Comment

wow sweet! thats good botmatch on super high!

Comment

Originally posted by .:i:.
              the card is the most important part
              And my current card is powerful enough

Comment

Working...
              X