Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would I get an FPS increase in UT2003/4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would I get an FPS increase in UT2003/4?

if I change from my celeron to a XP2200 + ? Ha the new mobo and processor should be coming soon!

Current specs:

1.1ghz celeron. ****.
    384 megs ram.
    Radeon 9200 PRO.

In 1 1/2 months:

Athlon XP 2200+ with MMX , SSE , 3D Now! , 3DNow! + , Quantispeed ****.
    768 Megs PNY extreme memory. (will take longer then 1 1/2 months to get).
    Radeon 9200 PRO
    Codgen case (I know wont change performance)
    Volcano 12+ CPU cooler.

Right now in UT2003 on full graphics I get about 20 FPS. I want that to double or triple. On normal graphics , which looks fine at 45 FPS I would like that to be 60 or so. Will I get what I want with the after?

yes get it
    you will need a new card as well

Comment

Originally posted by .:i:.
      yes get it

Comment

I will keep my Radeon 9200 PRO 128 meg thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by .:i:.
          yes get it
          If you do get a new card be sure to send your old cards to me

Anything that's better than my 64mb GF2 mx400

Comment

If it goes anything like my upgrade from a PIII 1GHz to an AMD Barton 2800+ then it will make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
              I will keep my Radeon 9200 PRO 128 meg thank you very much!
              the card is the most important part

Comment

Test your CPU upgrade with your current graphics-card first. I was going to upgrade my GeForce3 until I saw the difference the CPU upgrade did.

I still want to upgrade my graphics-card, but I don’t feel any desperate need to right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
                  Test your CPU upgrade with your current graphics-card first. I was going to upgrade my GeForce3 until I saw the difference the CPU upgrade did.

I still want to upgrade my graphics-card, but I don’t feel any desperate need to right now.
                  Same here. I went from an Athlon 1.33GHz to a P4 3GHz but kept my old Radeon 9000 Pro and I've noticed the difference everywhere. I am going to wait until after a few new games come out before upgrading my video card. Everything I play now runs well enough.

Comment

I see no need to upgrade my graphics card I can play UT2003 at full graphics almost now. And Deus Ex 2 Invisible War also plays at 1024X768 with full graphics with AA2 on very smoothly.

So I see no need. This card was also given to me from my dad and we're not rich so it has other special meanings to me.

Also it has a 9200 Plasma Capicitor which makes the card as fast as a 9800! so I think I am fine..

Comment

will upgrading from a Pentium 4 2.0ghz to 3.0 ghz make a big difference in fps?

.............I know........... stupid question.......... but still......... it had better be worth it.....

Comment

my system specs are:

1.3ghz duron
                        gf fx 5200
                        192mb ram
                        win2k

i hope i will get at least 30+ fps

Comment

Even semi-modern cards can push enough polygons to give a good framerate in UT2003, so as usual with Unreal engines its the CPU that matters most.

In case you don't know: the CPU is working pretty hard even at flybys, since all the graphic optimization done by the unreal engine is done by the CPU before the polygons are sent to the GFX card.

Double the CPU and you almost doubles the framerate, atleast if you play on not-to-high resolution and already have a decent gfx card.

Besides, its the framerate during close and intense duels that matters most, and in those the CPU is definitely the bottleneck unless you have a really crappy GFX card.

/Kronon

Comment

Originally posted by Kronon
                            Even semi-modern cards can push enough polygons to give a good framerate in UT2003, so as usual with Unreal engines its the CPU that matters most.

In case you don't know: the CPU is working pretty hard even at flybys, since all the graphic optimization done by the unreal engine is done by the CPU before the polygons are sent to the GFX card.

Double the CPU and you almost doubles the framerate, atleast if you play on not-to-high resolution and already have a decent gfx card.

Besides, its the framerate during close and intense duels that matters most, and in those the CPU is definitely the bottleneck unless you have a really crappy GFX card.

/Kronon

BOOM SHAKA LAKA!!! SO it should make a good difference!! :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Kronon

Hardware T&L allows the "dots" to be rendered first on the video card, back in the old days in UT etc, the "dots" used to get rendered by the CPU, and THEN the dots get sent to the video card for the dots to be joined up and textured and lit

what you said doesnt matter in games now, keep up with the times

Edit: I also heard that the Unreal Engine renders BSP in software (so the dots are made up by the CPU), that could be a big factor, while static meshes are rendered by the video card. I dunno if this is true tho

Comment

Working...
                              X