X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to get rid of old catalyst driver wtf

y0 i wana update my ati driver cat.3.9
    3.10 is out now and 3.9 has ****in issues with nfs underground
    so when i deinstall the driver and reboot it says new grapiccard found and does reinstall the driver i guess coz of the dll .files
    how to do that plz?

You sould be able to install the new driver right over the old one. What type of trouble are you having with nfsu?

Comment

I'm currently looking into that myself. I know after a removal of drivers, on a tweakers forum I'm on they advise to use some 'Driver Cleaner' (something like Detonator Destroyer) to get rid of ALL the files, instead of the standard de-install. I think ATI also has some help of files you should remove manually, but I guess the Driver Cleaner does that for you, so you can't mess up. I have no link yet, that's what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Voila: http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Comment

its called AtiCimUn.exe

I used it - worked fine

google it see how that goes

Comment

hmh i have to try it but isnt there a easier way ? what is when i delete the ati folder on C: also
          2:shawneboy :i should just install right over the old driver ?

Comment

eww i try to understand the readme file of this driver cleaner programm and wtf does that mean ?=5. Navigate to device mgr->display adapter->uninstall and/or remove ATI display adapter but do not reboot I HAVE GERMAN WINDOWS LOL i dont understand this at all where is this device mgr>display....option doh!

Comment

aww heeelp
              btw can any1 play nfsu with a 9800 pro card gopd ****in ati mofos argh grapic totaly ****ed up

Comment

1. Go into the Control Panel and under the ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE icon uninstall the ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.

2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once removed, it will prompt you to reboot....select NO.

3. In Device Manager, uninstall the display adapter. Select NO if it asks you to reboot.

4. Search for files called oem*.inf containing ATI Technologies ; you should find a few files named, for example, oem0.inf, oem1.inf. Open them and double check that they acctually contain ATI Technologies in them. Delete them. note: if windows search comes up with no results go into tools->folder options->view and untick the "hide extensions for known file types" and search again

5. Search for files called oem*.pnf. Delete the ones that have the same file names as the oem*.inf files you deleted in step 4. Example: If you deleted oem2.inf in step 4, now delete oem2.pnf.

6. Reboot.

7. When returning to Windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will come up and will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will prompt you for drivers. Hit CANCEL!

8. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all files and folders on your windows installation drive using the filename ati*.*
                Delete all the files except ones that are located in a .cab file and ones whose path includes a folder called ReinstallBackups (you may not have any of these, don't worry). Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty your bin.

9. Next...time to go to your Registry. Go to START -- RUN -- regedit

Here go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control -- Video . Here there should be 4 entries. 3 of them are default Windows XP entries and the 4th one is put in by the ATI drivers. Expand each one by one until you see ATI entries. Once found, erase the entire key.

Now repeat the same step above for the ControlSet002 key and the CurrentControlSet Key. Normally, whenever you erase a key in the ControlSet001, XP automatically deletes it in the CurrentControlSet section too. So if the ATI key is not found in the CurrentControlSet section, don't worry about it.
                Once all keys are deleted, proceed to the next step.

10. While still in the registry, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SOFTWARE section. Here you should find an ATI Technologies key. Select it and delete it. In that same section, look for an Installed Options key. Expand it and there you should find another ATI Technologies key. Select it and erase it.

11. Still in the registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- Software and there you should find another ATI technologies key. Select it and erase it. Once all this is done, close the registry. the registry is now clean.

12. Close all windows and reboot.

13. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD will pop up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you have downloaded. Extract them and run the SETUP file (or just run the .exe). Once complete, reboot and you are done. You may want to reinstall your ATI MMC software and DVD software if you use them. You can the latest ones at the ATi website ( http://www.ati.com ). DONE!

Comment

Jeebus
                  thats too much to do

i think the newer catalyst have a uninstall feature in the folder it unzips the driver to(crogram files,....?)
                  I know the omegas have a cleaner that comes with it
                  but i just uninstall,reboot,and install a newer driver:bulb:
                  or you can use xps update driver feature in device manager
                  I reformat so often that it doesnt matter,normally only get 2 driver releases before i reformat.

Comment

umn thx for your work thorshammer but iam not english and dont understand this all what is device manager and what is display adapter and i have to do this all ? I only want to update this driver wtf

Comment

lol every1 says something different here what should i do know awwwww confused .............!°

Comment

Originally posted by ;-x
                        Jeebus
                        thats too much to do

i think the newer catalyst have a uninstall feature in the folder it unzips the driver to(crogram files,....?)
                        I know the omegas have a cleaner that comes with it
                        but i just uninstall,reboot,and install a newer driver:bulb:
                        or you can use xps update driver feature in device manager
                        I reformat so often that it doesnt matter,normally only get 2 driver releases before i reformat.
                        The new uninstall feature from Ati does no better than the standard windows add/remove as far as I can see.
                        Try it and you will still find tonnes of ati files on your comp.
                        You dont need to be that ****, but the guide is there for anyone who wants to completely remove Ati.

Comment

get the new driver,unzip it
                          go to start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager
                          open display adapters
                          right click on it and update driver
                          if it doesnt find it you may have to help it find the new driver(install from a specific location)
                          3.9 to 3.10 it really shouldnt make any difference,because theres so little changed

Comment

Well, I only have a Radeon 7500.... whenever new drivers are released, I do the following:

1) Delete the C:\ATI folder. This is where the backup of the driver files are stored.

2) Go into Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall the Drivers, ATI Control Panel, and Uninstall Utility

3) Reboot. Upon booting, XP Pro installs MS' default ATI drivers. If you haven't deleted the ATI folder, then the last set of drivers you used will be re-installed.

3) Run new driver installer. Reboot when prompted. Configure drivers inthe control panel. Enjoy.

Comment

hmh sounds good casper thats like i thought how to do it so i gonna try it now -_-

Comment

Working...
                              X