Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody water cool their system?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by ;-x
    Here ya go
    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/3d...00_04_256k.wmv

    I have a freind that has a 9800pro Swiftech Liquid and a Prometia Mach II freon unit on a 3.0c p4
    Swiftech makes good kits and has great pumps (though Iwaki makes better) but mixing and matching components will get you a better system.

    Comment


      #17
      I have a Siftech MCW50-T TEC on my 9800p - Cooled by the Asetek Waterchill system. Highly recommended system for a water n00b wich I was when I set this up. Had no trouble at all. And they supply everything you will need for GPU, CPU and NB cooling.

      www.asetek.com

      I also Have a modded Vapochill cooling my P4 3/800@3.98

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by [FSB]Med
        I have a Siftech MCW50-T TEC on my 9800p - Cooled by the Asetek Waterchill system. Highly recommended system for a water n00b wich I was when I set this up. Had no trouble at all. And they supply everything you will need for GPU, CPU and NB cooling.

        www.asetek.com

        I also Have a modded Vapochill cooling my P4 3/800@3.98
        Hey Med, how do you get the OEM heatsink off your GPU?

        Comment


          #19
          Highly Effective Video GPU Cooling...Cheap!

          I watercool my system and I OC my my CPU. The biggest bump I get in useable performance, however, is by OCing the GPU and memory on my video card. My water cooler is a Koolance Exos, which works quite well. I wanted the portability and this seemed to be a logical choice. I did not want to water cool the video card as I tend to change them a lot and I didn't want to tie it to the machine.

          In the pix below you can see my solution. It's a 120mm fan (which is amazingly quiet) mounted above the heatsink assembly on the back of the Hercules 9800 Pro. The fan is tilted about 5 degrees off-center so that the air pulled down onto the card is passed from front to rear across the surface and then passed out the back of the case by the two rear exhaust fans.

          Pre-install temps measured between the heatsink and the GPU with a DigitalDoc 5:

          Idle- 124.5F

          Under Load- (UT2003 for 45 minutes) 145.0F

          Post-install temps measured between the heatsink and the GPU with a DigitalDoc 5:

          Idle- 102.0F

          Under Load- (UT2003 for 45 minutes) 110.0.0F


          That's a whopping 35 degree F drop under load! I can now run the run the card in a very stable state at speeds higher than a 9800 XT out of the box.

          My only install advice is make a very sturdy bracket to support the fan and allow adequate clearance to prevent anything from shorting out. If you can't get the 120mm fan into your box, try a 92mm version. I would imagine that you would still get a hefty decrease in the GPU temp.



          -Toonces

          Comment


            #20
            Just curious, if I make my next system watercooled, can I get rid of all fans ? I would like to build me a totally silent system. Is watercooling the solution ?

            Comment


              #21
              I thought about an aluminum Exos to go with my Lian Li PC-75b (being custom cut now, thanks Santa!) but I thought since I want water I may as well go 1/2 inch all the way. Besides, I never move my baby anyway. Good on those filters Toonces. Not enough people take the time to protect their fans the right way.

              Comment


                #22
                Unfortunately...No...

                Originally posted by LittleFlower
                Just curious, if I make my next system watercooled, can I get rid of all fans ? I would like to build me a totally silent system. Is watercooling the solution ?
                I think it is still a good idea to have at least one case fan to exhaust the warm air out of the box...Regardless of that issue, however, the watercooler itself (the radiator assembly) needs to have a fan(s) to cool the liquid passing through it. My Exos has 3 of them, but at the lowest speed setting they are nearly silent.

                -Toonces

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by LittleFlower
                  Just curious, if I make my next system watercooled, can I get rid of all fans ? I would like to build me a totally silent system. Is watercooling the solution ?
                  No, you'll still need a fan or two to vent your radiator and a fan or two to keep your case vented. Depending on the way the watercooler is configured you can get pretty close to a silent case though.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Filters are the stuff...

                    Originally posted by Khmer Spirit
                    Good on those filters Toonces. Not enough people take the time to protect their fans the right way.
                    The big one on the 120mm is an amazing **** collecter! I blow it out about once a month and the rest of the machine stays as clean as a whistle...

                    -Toonces

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Re: Filters are the stuff...

                      Originally posted by Toonces T. Cat
                      The big one on the 120mm is an amazing **** collecter! I blow it out about once a month and the rest of the machine stays as clean as a whistle...

                      -Toonces
                      I learned to hate dust so much I used to use old stockings to cover my fans. Are you water-cooling anything else other than your CPU and GPU? How's that Digidoc working for you? How long are the fan cables on it? I've got a 5 + showing up today and was wonder if they'd be able to reach all my fans.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Re: Re: Filters are the stuff...

                        Originally posted by Khmer Spirit
                        I learned to hate dust so much I used to use old stockings to cover my fans. Are you water-cooling anything else other than your CPU and GPU? How's that Digidoc working for you? How long are the fan cables on it? I've got a 5 + showing up today and was wonder if they'd be able to reach all my fans.
                        I have DigiDocs on two of my machines....I love them! The fan and the sensor cables are about 24" to 30" long. Between the fan cable and the DigiDoc cable, I don't think I've had a connection yet that wasn't too long...:haha:

                        You are gonna really like it a lot. I suspect you are very close to being as obsessive as I am and the DigiDoc is custom made for the obsessive compulsive type...I mean no aspect of your hardware is too small to ignore. It gives you amazing control over your fans and the voltage monitoring and alarm system is the shizz!

                        The manual sucks, but you're a smart guy and will quickly overcome it...

                        ....and no on the water cooling.

                        -Toonces

                        Comment


                          #27
                          A MAJOR Tip on the DigDoc....

                          A major tip on the DigiDoc for you...Be vary careful about which bay you put it in! You will have up to 16 leads coming out of the critter...7 fans, 8 temp sensors, and the power lead. Try to put it where if you have to replace a drive or CD-ROM, you won't have to remove the DigiDoc to get to it...I made that mistake once...Ouch!

                          If you have any issues with the install, drop me a note at:

                          Toonces

                          ...and I'll try to help you out.

                          -Toonces

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Re: Re: Re: Filters are the stuff...

                            Originally posted by Toonces T. Cat
                            I have DigiDocs on two of my machines....I love them! The fan and the sensor cables are about 24" to 30" long. Between the fan cable and the DigiDoc cable, I don't think I've had a connection yet that wasn't too long...:haha:

                            You are gonna really like it a lot. I suspect you are very close to being as obsessive as I am and the DigiDoc is custom made for the obsessive compulsive type...I mean no aspect of your hardware is too small to ignore. It gives you amazing control over your fans and the voltage monitoring and alarm system is the shizz!

                            The manual sucks, but you're a smart guy and will quickly overcome it...

                            ....and no on the water cooling.

                            -Toonces
                            Man, that's good to hear. I've read reviews until I was blue in the face but yours counts the most. :up:

                            Close? My wife had to beg me to buy two pairs of shoes and promise me the tax refund to keep me from buying a 9800 XT instead. :haha: I'm looking forward to playing with it. My new case has 10 fans total (2x120, 8x80) and that's not counting the 3 in my PSU or the Delta on my CPU. I just can't justify them all running full tilt all the time. It's going to be mad scientist heaven setting this baby up. You're not the first person I've heard say the "manual" for the 5 sucks. I understand that the printed manual for the 5 + is MUCH better.

                            Are you using a sensor for the CPU? Flat or bulb? How did you set it up if so?

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Re: Re: Re: Re: Filters are the stuff...

                              Originally posted by Khmer Spirit
                              Man, that's good to hear. I've read reviews until I was blue in the face but yours counts the most. :up:

                              Are you using a sensor for the CPU? Flat or bulb? How did you set it up if so?
                              Thanks!

                              ...On the CPU sensor...The Exos comes with it's own sensor and the water block has a recessed area cut in it to accomodate it.

                              -Toonces

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X