Is there a LAN optimising program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a LAN optimising program?

I play ut2k3 a lot, and i am on a lan here at school. This lan doesnt let me play on outside servers so i play against some people here. But lately it has been laggy as hell. I dont know why. The ping claims to be 50 or 60 usually, but their is a lot of packet loss or something. I dont know much about this subject. Does anybody? Is there a program to reduce this or something...?

p.s. plz dont flame a network noob...

Well, tbh there really isnt much you can do about this issue.
    The problem should be dealt with soon enough by the admins... But firstly, I must warn you that admins are some of the meanest buggers you will know!! At least the ones at my College were. I was just like you, we used to play the ut99 demo and had awesome matches. Unfortunately I doubt you can take the game online. It didn't work for me and I doubt it would work in your college. In uni however I can .

But I just got caught playing Q3 last week. So I think I'm gonna stick to gaming at home.

Oh and incase your wondering why admins will ***** about guys gaming, is because it actually slows the rest of the network down. (at least thats what they told me) Also they want to ensure that the computer resources are used for educational purposes.

Viva la resistance!!! :up:

I got banned from the library after my last exams So it was kind of a way of leaving my unreal legacy behind

Comment

That really sux...
      they dont mind if we game on the LAN tho, they just set up some form of Firewall or something, i dunno what that, it just doesnt allow us into outside servers...
      sometimes it is ok... Maybe people are just streaming other stuff over the network at the times it is slow... could that b it?

Comment

Originally posted by CH405
        Oh and incase your wondering why admins will ***** about guys gaming, is because it actually slows the rest of the network down. (at least thats what they told me) Also they want to ensure that the computer resources are used for educational purposes.
        Admins in general are a pretty power-mad bunch (not all, but many). Also they hate seeing people playing games when the admins have to be working

Comment

Originally posted by cAm
          Maybe people are just streaming other stuff over the network at the times it is slow... could that b it?
          That's the most likely explanation - also, if you've got a load of new students, lots of people are gonna be running kazaa/edonkey/etc, which really does suck bandwidth.

There's not much you can do, but you might try dropping your net speeds from with UT[2K3].

Comment

The most probable reason is that the admin in question just downloads some **** for himself , causing network slowdown. If the network is not based on hubs but switches, then there should not be any noticeable slowdown if some few ppl are playing. Is it 10 or 100Mbit btw.

Comment

Working...
            X