OT:Why are FPS games so...light???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT:Why are FPS games so...light???

I have been been playing two games lately that have given me a new persapective on the games I have played in the past.
    I usually play FPS games like Unreal 2, NOLF2, CJ, UT2003 XIII, etc. I recently tried my very first RPG(KOTOR)and my first RPG/FPS(DX:IW) and even though it isnt as intense as the other FPS games I was struck by have much content they have and how long they are.
    IF you are like myself you have probably enjoy the FPS genre but sometimes find it lacking in terms of dialogue, interaction, content etc. And yet when you hear about some feature like conversation trees beng added to a FPS its like the sunshine has come out after along rain. Meanwhile other games already have this as standard. OR the devs say games are so expensive to make and thats why they are so short. Meanwhile again, other games manage to sell for the same price and manage to have alot of content amd length.
    So why do you think FPS genre games seem so light and lacking in content compared to other genres of games like RPGs or FPS/RPG games.

1. Shutup fool, if it had more it wouldnt be a FPS it would be something else. :bulb:

2. You're not the centre of the universe BUDDY, the devs know their audience better than you do. And therefor they know that for every one FPS player like YOU that wants more content and innovation, there is about 1000 that like things just the way they are.

3. Aaaah grasshopper you are so naive, its all about the publishers money. The publisher want to make money first and formost and play it conservative in terms of change so as not to mess with a proven sucessful formula.

4. The devs like the games just as they are, and dont see the need for change.

5. The devs dont know HOW to go further.They have been used to making games a certain way for so long they are afraid to go into the unknown and fail. And loose money.And their jobs, Then the pretty wife/handsome husband and dog and end up penniliess and homeless looking at flyers to see what cat food is on special this week as they argue with crazy Mary about who gets to use the shopping cart with all its wheels today.But I digress.

6. FPS games are more expensive to make compared to other games so they have to be shorter and have less content for a given budget.

7. It's sharder to properly implement features in FPS games, so change happens more slowly.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Forget DX:IW

Try the original Deus Ex. Now THAT is a game that is far from light. And it's Bloody long! At least 4 times longer than DX:IW.

Comment

Actually, most games with lots of dialogue tend to be rather short. I was kind of impressed by the original Deus Ex as well tbh...

Comment

yeah i thought after the way deus ex 1 blended Rpg and Fps elements so well there would be a lot more games like that coming out. As it turns out, not so much, and thats a shame.

Comment

Yes, DeusEx was excellent, and should run like a dream on todays hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
            Yes, DeusEx was excellent, and should run like a dream on todays hardware.
            Or not. It was written to be used with 3dfx hardware, and D3D support is still rather ****ty.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
              Or not. It was written to be used with 3dfx hardware, and D3D support is still rather ****ty.
              Well, I know for sure it DOES run like a dream on my Ti4600. The look is a different story, but it's because the first Unreal engine was designed around Glide, not D3D.

However I must admit that DX has never really got me, I don't know why. I tried it several times but always left it after a while.

I loved System Shock 2 but DX (although they both had many elements in common)... it just never worked for me.

Comment

I find most games these days to be really shallow and straight-forward. It's formulae based games where developers go with something they know works instead of making something new.
                I havent seen a lot of intuitive games in a long long time. And no, do not tell me half-life 2 is intuitive because it has leet graphics and ragdoll. The concept is still exactly the same as Wolfenstein 3d.

I think the last "fps" game I played with an original twist was Descent. I'd also like to see more simulation games like Steel Battalion.

Comment

The reason you get this is because a game like an RPG has very little replay value. Once you play through diablo 2 single player there's little left, and afterall the gameplay of diablo 2 isn't all that great. All you have to do is click on enimies which isn't hard. Therefore in order to compensate they have to make more weapons more spells and more levels to keep people occupied. Things like conversation trees offer very little in the way of actual 'gameplay'. It's just a gimmic to give the players more content and hence more time to complete the game. You also see this in racing games where there's like 110 levels.

Comment

Maybe it's because you got older and are harder to entertain?

Comment

Diablo has that very simple but effective formulae of making it addictive with incredibly empty gameplay.
                      It has a straight-forward character development thing with linear weapons and armor (The next is better than the previous), wanting you to get the next "step" of gear. But when you've gotten that armor, you have gained experience and levelled maybe twice, your character is now outdated on gear so you need to get new again. Ad infinitum.
                      It's a leapfrog system which constantly makes you want that next thing, be it gear or skills. Not really much for actual gameplay but its still addictive. In other words, a cheap trick in my opinion.

I think Star Wars Galaxies is the only mmog I've played that had an armor system I liked. It had heavy tradeoffs so not many people really used it.

Comment

Originally posted by TWD
                        The reason you get this is because a game like an RPG has very little replay value. Once you play through diablo 2 single player there's little left, and afterall the gameplay of diablo 2 isn't all that great. All you have to do is click on enimies which isn't hard. Therefore in order to compensate they have to make more weapons more spells and more levels to keep people occupied. Things like conversation trees offer very little in the way of actual 'gameplay'. It's just a gimmic to give the players more content and hence more time to complete the game. You also see this in racing games where there's like 110 levels.
                        Could be but I think that Diablo cannot really serve as a good measure for RPGs. Let's take Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic as an example. This game imho has a very good replayability since you always have more options as to how to solve certain situation. The way you react to that situation influences your further progress through the game. This game also has lots of quests (be it main quests directly related to the story or side quests that may help you form your character's personality or abilities), you can choose from multiple character professions etc.

I agree with you on that Diablo is a pretty straightforward game. There are limited possibilities of perfecting your avatar in this game, you usually walk through the game alone (whereas in KOTOR you always have two partners with you and they improve independently on your character). Diablo is just a catchy RPG/action game mix and it doesn't offer anything new once you've played it through.

Comment

Diablo is the extreeme example. Still most RPGs are more single player and even in multiplayer it's generally a co-op type thing (at least that's how it's been in most that I've played). If final fantasy composed of one kind of enimy it would suck because there's not enough gameplay in a battle against one moster to keep you occupied with it for years.

Comment

UT2004 ships with 10 gametypes and 95 maps. How's that for light? :up:

Comment

Some designers put technology ahead of design, wasting money and time on pretty things that don't resonate with the public.

Marketing idiots are allowed design decisions.

It takes time, money, and talent to make a good game. All three are in short supply.

Comment

Working...
                              X