Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suiciding to return to your base quickly/regain health, Valid Tactic or Lame Exploit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suiciding to return to your base quickly/regain health, Valid Tactic or Lame Exploit?

On the VCTF server that I play, there is a disagreement on the use of suicide for returning to your base quickly or to regain health.

Some people are saying that it is a valid tactic and is very helpful to the team while others consider it lame and consider it to be an exploit of the game.

Examples would include:
    • You are in the enemy base and you just returned your flag. You quickly suicide to help defend the flag.

• You are defending the flag and you just barely survived with 20 health against the enemy's attempt to steal your flag. You suicide to respawn with 100 health, ready for the next attackers.

• You just finished running the flag and you have 10 health remaining. You suicide to respawn with 100 health and prepare for the next attempt to capture the enemy flag.

Now I ask you, is using suicide in this manner a valid tactic or a lame exploit?

I wouldn't complain if people did it here and there, though nobody I play against uses death "as a shortcut" like I do occassionally.

Comment

You lose one frag and all weapons to get back to base, to me thats balanced.

Personally I never use it to gain heath, id rather have 50% health and a few guns then trying to go into a fight with the starter rifle.

Comment

I use it to get back to base when the flag carrier is coming in. I don't think I've ever used it to get more health.

Comment

IMHO a valid tactic. I use it from time to time if I haven't got any life and no good weapons left. (VCTF)

P.S. If you search the forum, you should find several threads about this.

Comment

100% valid in my opinion. It isn't hurting anyone but your (egoistic) personal score and you lose all the weapons you have. And as you (=the original poster) pointed out, it has quite some uses.

I admit I don't play VCTF, but in onslaught, there are times when it is crucial to get to a core or node fast.

Of course I can perfectly see why others would see this unethical. But the point is that you simply can't go avoid allowing suicides to some degree...unless you code a mutator that disables all self damage as well, but that would cause even bigger problems.

Comment

Originally posted by awaw View Post
              IMHO a valid tactic. I use it from time to time if I haven't got any life and no good weapons left. (VCTF)

P.S. If you search the forum, you should find several threads about this.
              Actually I did search for suicide (in title only) and I only found one related to this topic from 2004 about ONS. If you could show me other threads, that would be great.

Of course I can perfectly see why others would see this unethical. But the point is that you simply can't go avoid allowing suicides to some degree...unless you code a mutator that disables all self damage as well, but that would cause even bigger problems.
              The admin is planning on loading a mod where if you suicide you can't respawn from 10-20 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by NinetyTwo View Post
                The admin is planning on loading a mod where if you suicide you can't respawn from 10-20 seconds.
                Is that only if you use the command prompt or weapon suicides too?

Comment

I believe it will be for any form of suicide.

Comment

In other words: accidentally running yourself over with a vehicle (a bug that still happens occasionally if the vehicle isn't 100% still) can mean the difference between winning and losing.

I hope your admin has a thick flame-proof vest, because I predict a riot within a day.

Comment

I generally agree that suiciding is a legit tactic but definitely understand the irritations represented in NinetyTwo's post. Nothing more frustrating than having outmaneavered the other team to nearly score only to have respawns nearly right next to you ruin it. This of course assumes your own team didn't frag them rather than them suiciding.

Perhaps a stiffer personnel point penalty would be a sort of compromise but alas any team player should be disregarding their personal points anyway. Still might look a bit funny if your team wins and you have a negative point total...(man you were no help to us at all!!)... but I admit it wouldn't dissuade me in the least from continuing to use the tactic.

Comment

i think the poll results pretty much speak for themselves here. Any admin that beleives that suiciding to get back to your base is an exploit probably shouldnt be an admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                          i think the poll results pretty much speak for themselves here. Any admin that beleives that suiciding to get back to your base is an exploit probably shouldnt be an admin.
                          Indeed.

In real CTF in competitive matches suicide is used constantly by defense once the flag is returned so we can immediately start defending again and O will also use it when they need to. It's a completely valid and a well known tactic that also goes into other game types like Assault.

Comment

definetly valid

Comment

Still even though I view suiciding as legit it might not be a bad idea to increase respawn time. I might even be inclined to accept a similar delay if you are either intentionally or accidently fragged by a member of your own team! Sure might add a bit of realism as you will have to be more careful where you're aiming.

Comment

Working...
                              X