Editing a .u file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing a .u file

I have a weapon which has a .u file. That file contains the information of what the game should display when you pick up the weapon, something like 'You got the ... rifle". I need to edit that. I can open the file in the UT editor, but I don't know where to look for that string. Any idea? Thanx.

You can't directly edit .u files, they are compiled code. What you need to do is export or decompile them (or preferably find the actual source).. this is called a .uc file. The best way to edit this would be in Wotgreal, and then recompile it as a .u file.

However in some cases you can look at the .int file associated with the .u and it may contain these strings, because they're usually defined in default properties and these properties go into the int. Just edit that in notepad instead and away you go. Much easier.

Comment

Look in the Xweapons.int

Remember, you are the only one that will see the changes.

Comment

I think he's talking about a custom weapon.

Comment

Yes, I know I can edit the .int file with lines like these:

[MayhemLinkGunAmmoPickup]
          PickupMessage="You picked up energy charges."

[MayhemLinkGun]
          ItemName="Phantom"

[MayhemLinkGunPickup]
          PickupMessage="You got the Phantom."

With this I get what I need in most of my downloaded weapons as regard renaming. I also edit the .ucl file and edit the FallbackName and FallbackDesc.

However I have a weapon that, after editing the files keeps on saying: You got "the original name". However, when you select it, the changed name is displayed, so I edited the file correctly.

Taking a look at the files, I could find the string in the .u file. However, this file is binary, so editing it directly makes the game crash.

That's why I thought I could open it up with the UT editior, find the string and recompile, but I don't know where to search.

The file is X82A2SR_Beta.u and the string of text is: You got the X-82A2 Sniper Rifle.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormrider View Post
            I have a weapon which has a .u file. That file contains the information of what the game should display when you pick up the weapon, something like 'You got the ... rifle". I need to edit that. I can open the file in the UT editor, but I don't know where to look for that string. Any idea? Thanx.
            If you try to join an online game with a modified .u file you probably will be denied. Assuming that server has a descent security program running.

Comment

I told you the only way is to turn it into a .uc file. you can export a u file with unrealed, and edit the resulting .uc file in wotgreal (a downloadable editor) but be aware that it may lose information, as exported unrealscript sometimes cuts out some of the original defaultproperties.

As others have said, please don't use this for any other purpose but playing offline by yourself - if this is someone else's weapon I doubt they'd like other people making changes to them, even to something as simple as the pickup text.

Comment

Thanx for the info. No problem with online. I don't play online. Offline is the future.

Comment

Working...
                X