Tell me UT people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me UT people

i havent played unreal tournament before,so i would like to ask if its any good or not

First: Totally wrong forum! Really, how anyone can have the idea to ask such a question in the modding forums, let alone the "beta releases" one, is beyond me. I mean, you have more than 100 posts, so I guess you're an active member of the Gears forums. This leads to the assumption that you should have enough forum experience to know what a "general discussion" section is for, and yet you still managed to put your question into the wrongest place imaginable. Impressive achievement, mate, only in a negative way.
    But hey, don't worry, we are the UT community, friendly and tolerant people who usually tend to forgive mistakes like that (After the unavoidable sarcastic bashing, of course, that's mandatory. Try to look at it as what it is, a valuable lesson and not a personal attack).

So you want to know how UT is like? Well, what should I say? I guess I'll start by telling you how it's not like: It's not like GoW. Ok, it's an action game, but that's it for the common properties. The rest is totally different, so please don't expect anything like Gears or you might be disappointed. Gears is a story-driven duck-and-cover third-person shooter, while UT is a fast-paced first-person shooter that's built primarily with multiplayer in mind, though the bots offer a nice solo experience as well. The new UT3 will be the first UT game that will offer a SP-Story-Campaign, but that doesn't mean it's main focus would be changed in any particular way. UT is the last remaining "big thing" in the genre of "arena shooters". Back in the days, those were the first available types of FPS multiplayer games one could find and UT is the only franchise that proved good enough to survive the decline of the genre. One of many reasons for that is that it is very modification-friendly, lots of custom content can keep a game alive for a long time. Of course, the most important thing is that a game itself has to be fun in order be successful and UT is definitively able to deliver tons of entertainment. It is good for having a fast, mindless fragfest as well as for delivering some really good action-packed teamplay experiences (though the focus is still on the individual most of the time, you won't find any special classes or so). The many gametypes are quite different, though each one is still pure UT. From (Team)Deathmatch, Capture-the-flag and the mission-based Assault gametype to Onslaught (Vehicular Warfare with up to 32 players), UT has what you are looking for if you're into fast-paced action with lots of "ka-boom moments". Getting used to it might take a bit, though. It provides a rather complex learning curve that enables the player to learn something new every day. The basics can be learned within minutes, but the advanced features that can make the difference between success and humiliating defeat take quite some time getting used to. But I can assure you that it's totally worth it!

All this is completely imho, of course, and describes the current incarnation of UT, UT2004. No one knows how UT3 will be like until it's out and the first UT wouldn't have been the best example to describe how UT is like, as I wanted to explain the current status of the series (though I still consider the first UT to be one of the best fps-games of all time).

So, you asked if it's any good? Hell yeah it is, and even more than that! UT is a divine creation, sent upon us by the great gods of gaming, to bring all true gamers, who believe in the power of the PC, the most fun experience imaginable to the human mind. And that's still an understatement, mind you.
    Nah, just kidding. UT is simply a really good FPS-series that offers A-quality entertaining for quite some time, at least if you don't have a problem with sci-fi and if it isn't 2 fast 4 U.

Ok, now that this is done: Could some mod please move this thread into the "General chat" section, please?

Comment

Done.

Comment

thanx man
        i really just wanted to talk about it and didnt care where it went,sorry about that
        im getting sick of gears of war,maybe to try something new

Comment

Originally posted by DGAFxPOTTER View Post
          i havent played unreal tournament before,so i would like to ask if its any good or not
          Is there any other game?? Ut2004 is the best online game ever! If you have patient to learn so do you have many of years with fun infront of you! We are gonna play UT2004 even when UT3 is comming, all games in the UT series is good. The reason that ex. CS is bigger is that you only need a commodore 64 to play CS on Well, UT demands better comp and take little more time to master but then, you have all fun you need. Join any clan and meet other people to have fun with and learn and get tip of. Titan community ex. are a good community for Ut: http://ut2004.titaninternet.co.uk Ut Independent community is a gathering place for UT people from all over the world and there you can seek clans: www.ut2004tournament.com

Comment

thanx i appreciate it

Comment

I've played many games .. *waxes poetically like a true veteran of gaming, with matching war-stories to tell*

But UT2004 is the only game that I keep coming back to, again and again and again. Why ? Other games offer depth .. Other games off fast-paced hectic action .. Other games offer a chance to play with my buddies .. Other games offer great modability ..

But UT is the only one that combines those things to this extent.

Comment

Get the demo and try it. You will know right away if you like it or not. I remember when 2004 first came out. I would stay up to 3 or 4 am playing. I don't remember how many classes I slept through because of UT. Try it and in the worst case your not going to pay much for it.

Comment

The game is very cheap today but hard to get. I bought a new copy some month ago and gave $8! Back in -04 I gave $75.

Comment

That's a funny question to ask a bunch of gamers on a near barren forum for a near dying game (some will say, anyhow)...if people didn't still love this game this forum would have been long gone and at the very least, empty.

This game is very worth it...even more worth learning how to play and enjoy. As mentioned before it is very cheap. The demo is a good idea but it is limited and the full version is what you want because that where the real players are. Sure the servers aren't as packed as they were three years ago but they are better than I thought they would have been.

I keep shelving away other games and coming back to Ut....many won't be immediately upgrading to UT3--I think much less than when ut2003 coverted to 2004...the demands for the computer performance required have stymied some and if you're like me, stubborn and a cheapskate, you won't be racing to upgrade....
                    bottom line: buy it!

Comment

I have played dozens of games after UT came out, sp and mp, played through, grinded mmorpgs, teamed in tactical shooters, got fed up, forgot them, let them collect dust in my shelf.

But UT (2004 ofc, presently) I still play almost daily. It'll never let me go. It still makes me laugh: all the funny different ways I can get killed by my own stupidity, other players skillful moves, wicked map design, or those entertainingly different weapons.

Movement system especially is very different compared to, I guess, all games out there. It allows very flexible movement through those multitiered and complex maps, well-timed dodging and nice shots while you are airborne.

And it's fast.

Did I mention it's fast!!!!

There is no end to learning. At times I feel sorry for those who enter the game without any prior experience, and still, it seems I myself am skillwise as far from some others who pwn me without much effort. But I don't mind that. And the game shines when you find some others roughly same level as you are.

Deathmatch? Yess please!

Comment

Yeah! The game is so **** fun and you can enjoy with your friends!! I play 8 days/week There is so many diifferent mods, always some mods for all. But it's importent that we help new player to be comfortable with the game, make them feel welcome and usefull because we all is. Without us player should the game never exist. So there for I want to do some promotion for the sites I started, just for support the game, the clans and all the players, doesn't matter where you live in the world, come on and help us all to keep the interest up for the games!! www.ut2004tournament.com Sign up and participate you too!
                        The future game site: www.ut3tournament.com

Comment

Working...
                        X