This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Balance: The way I see it in UT2004

Hello everyone. I felt tonight like giving my opinion about the weapon balance from UT2004 (since UT3 isn't out yet...) but I already see people "flamming" me. Mostly those that abuse from the unbalanced/overpowered stuff and that known they'll be less good if it get fixed someday.

Ok so here it goes, I'll just give my opinion next to every weapon of the game "excluing super weapons":

Shield: The primary fire is pretty much useless since it's very buggy in UT2004. Often you hit ur enemy but it does no damage, or you don't hit him (the gun still charging) and it does like if you hit/killed him and so on. But worse is the secondary fire since it have a huge impact on the gameplay and the way fights are being played. It encourage the player to be more coward, and play more at long range which isn't how UT was meant to be played. People just use it to get out of fights and AVOID them which makes the game even more boring. At least it's out for UT3.

Assault Rifle: Totaly useless weapon, although interesting when you get 2. It's way too innacurate to be worth using it. If you spawn near someone with another weapon, you have no chance to win unless he is almost dead. So the way it's being used is just by spamming it anywhere near the target. The enforcers from UT99 were so much better. I'm happy that they make a comeback in UT3. Also what I liked in Quake 3 is that you weren't sure to die if you just spawned in front of someone as the default gun was quite efficient but not too much. It was just perfect for Q3. As for the secondary fire, bah it's pretty much useless and most people just empty their AR grenade as quick as possible in a room full of people and hope to get someone. So it's contribute to the whole spam.

Lightning Gun: One of the most abused weapon in UT2004. It's suppose to be a sniper (only used at long distance) not a weapon as powerful as a rocket in close range... First of all, I would lower the damage from 70 to 60. Fix the childbolt which are actualy a netcode issue as there's no splash damage on the LG. Then I would reduce a little the ammo you get when picking it up and remove the crosshair on that weapon so you can ONLY use it when zooming.

Bio Rifle: The primary fire is really weak and almost useless but once you load it, it gets powerful. I think a full load of Bio should always 1 hit kill you as sometimes people with 100-100 or 100-150 will receive a full load then have like 5-10hp left, that's pretty dumb. It would also be better if you would take damage from walking on it (before it blow up and do a splash damage) and make the blob bigger but I think they already did that in UT3.

Shock Rifle: The most unbalanced and abused weapon of the game. That gun almost totaly ruined the fights/gameplay. It's the most accurate weapon, it have a high RoF while doing a lot of damage with the primary fire AND knocking it's target for a sec, the secondary fire is easy to spam and since it blocks everything, you can create a "shield wall" with these to run away then "snipe" him front long range like a chicken. Then like if it wasn't already that powerful, there has to be the shock combo... I think it's range (splash damage) should be reduced and also the damage and it should take 8-10 ammunition instead of only 4.

Minigun: The secondary fire is totaly useless. No one unless people that are named "Player" use it. It might do 14 instead of 7, it's so **** slow that you end up doing much less damage and it's not really more accurate. If only it had something special like going through armor and being more accurate, then it could get useful. Anyway it's being "removed" in UT3.

Link Gun: The primary fire is a total joke. Soooo slow that it's like impossible to hit a moving target even up to close range. People just use it as spam. The secondary fire is the only use of the link but for the ammount of damage it does, I say that it's range should be a little more far so it gets more balanced with the minigun.

Flak Cannon:It's my favorite weapon (mostly for the primary fire which is kind of like a shotgun) but in UT2004 it's a total joke, just as the link gun (ok a little less worse). I noticed by trying UT2003's mutator that they made the spread wider in UT2004, making it even worse. Since the bullets are so slow, it's impossible to use it like a real-life shotgun and I mean this even at very close range! You always gotta shoot in front of ur target to hit him unless you are at blank range (His face right on ur barrel edge). It should also deal more damage and maybe even have it so it does X damage at X range so people wouldn't spam it like hell in tight corridors/room. But I think it would be better to just give it a "balistic" arch so once it gets are medium range, it start going down so it won't reach someone far away. That would greatly reduce the whole spam in UT2004. As for the secondary fire, hmm... I don't exactly know what we could do but I'm sure there would be a way to improve it a little.

Rocket Launcher:Not much to say, it's pretty much the only perfectly balanced weapon. Maybe if it would take less time to lock the rocket on a target. Like 2 or 2.5 seconds instead of like 4 seconds (well 50% less time than right now) since any good player at UT never stay idle for that long. About shooting the rockets in spiral, it's most of the time useless but since it have a pretty cool effect...

That's it, I'm done finaly. Now you can love me or hate me but I'm sure no one would stay neutral and have no opinion at all about what I've said.

My replies are in bold
    Originally posted by LeTesteur View Post
    Hello everyone. I felt tonight like giving my opinion about the weapon balance from UT2004 (since UT3 isn't out yet...) but I already see people "flamming" me. Mostly those that abuse from the unbalanced/overpowered stuff and that known they'll be less good if it get fixed someday.

Ok so here it goes, I'll just give my opinion next to every weapon of the game "excluing super weapons":

Shield: The primary fire is pretty much useless since it's very buggy in UT2004. Often you hit ur enemy but it does no damage, or you don't hit him (the gun still charging) and it does like if you hit/killed him and so on. But worse is the secondary fire since it have a huge impact on the gameplay and the way fights are being played. It encourage the player to be more coward, and play more at long range which isn't how UT was meant to be played. People just use it to get out of fights and AVOID them which makes the game even more boring. At least it's out for UT3.

The shield gun is very tactful, it can be deadly when used properly, and very comforting when used defensively. I find it most useful for surviving shock combos and killing is a bit harder since it makes a lot of noise but you can get it in if your foe is unsuspecting or dumbfounded.

Assault Rifle: Totaly useless weapon, although interesting when you get 2. It's way too innacurate to be worth using it. If you spawn near someone with another weapon, you have no chance to win unless he is almost dead. So the way it's being used is just by spamming it anywhere near the target. The enforcers from UT99 were so much better. I'm happy that they make a comeback in UT3. Also what I liked in Quake 3 is that you weren't sure to die if you just spawned in front of someone as the default gun was quite efficient but not too much. It was just perfect for Q3. As for the secondary fire, bah it's pretty much useless and most people just empty their AR grenade as quick as possible in a room full of people and hope to get someone. So it's contribute to the whole spam.

Yes they are much better when dual wielded but one isn't as bad as you describe, they can be effective when you consider your movements carefully, I like it as a finishing gun after weakening the opponent with something else. Dual wielding kills are the best

Lightning Gun: One of the most abused weapon in UT2004. It's suppose to be a sniper (only used at long distance) not a weapon as powerful as a rocket in close range... First of all, I would lower the damage from 70 to 60. Fix the childbolt which are actualy a netcode issue as there's no splash damage on the LG. Then I would reduce a little the ammo you get when picking it up and remove the crosshair on that weapon so you can ONLY use it when zooming.

You can use any gun at any time, that's the point. In games like counter strike, they're for long range alone as you describe, in UT, they can be as good up close as from far (although distance is more advantageous. I absolutely would hate UT if they did a 'counter strike" and made the gun useless without zooming, sorry but thats just very stupid in my opinion.

Bio Rifle: The primary fire is really weak and almost useless but once you load it, it gets powerful. I think a full load of Bio should always 1 hit kill you as sometimes people with 100-100 or 100-150 will receive a full load then have like 5-10hp left, that's pretty dumb. It would also be better if you would take damage from walking on it (before it blow up and do a splash damage) and make the blob bigger but I think they already did that in UT3.

The blobs already do damage from walking on them before they blow.

Shock Rifle: The most unbalanced and abused weapon of the game. That gun almost totaly ruined the fights/gameplay. It's the most accurate weapon, it have a high RoF while doing a lot of damage with the primary fire AND knocking it's target for a sec, the secondary fire is easy to spam and since it blocks everything, you can create a "shield wall" with these to run away then "snipe" him front long range like a chicken. Then like if it wasn't already that powerful, there has to be the shock combo... I think it's range (splash damage) should be reduced and also the damage and it should take 8-10 ammunition instead of only 4.

meh, I'm pretty tired of defending this arguement, all I'll say is that the gun is fine, and I wouldn't really care if they changed the ROF alone.

Minigun: The secondary fire is totaly useless. No one unless people that are named "Player" use it. It might do 14 instead of 7, it's so **** slow that you end up doing much less damage and it's not really more accurate. If only it had something special like going through armor and being more accurate, then it could get useful. Anyway it's being "removed" in UT3.

I agree

Link Gun: The primary fire is a total joke. Soooo slow that it's like impossible to hit a moving target even up to close range. People just use it as spam. The secondary fire is the only use of the link but for the ammount of damage it does, I say that it's range should be a little more far so it gets more balanced with the minigun.

sorry, but you have no skill in using it if you say the primary is a joke, it's very nice if you know how to use it. I think the gun was well balanced in UT2004, actually improved from UT.

Flak Cannon:It's my favorite weapon (mostly for the primary fire which is kind of like a shotgun) but in UT2004 it's a total joke, just as the link gun (ok a little less worse). I noticed by trying UT2003's mutator that they made the spread wider in UT2004, making it even worse. Since the bullets are so slow, it's impossible to use it like a real-life shotgun and I mean this even at very close range! You always gotta shoot in front of ur target to hit him unless you are at blank range (His face right on ur barrel edge). It should also deal more damage and maybe even have it so it does X damage at X range so people wouldn't spam it like hell in tight corridors/room. But I think it would be better to just give it a "balistic" arch so once it gets are medium range, it start going down so it won't reach someone far away. That would greatly reduce the whole spam in UT2004. As for the secondary fire, hmm... I don't exactly know what we could do but I'm sure there would be a way to improve it a little.

I think the speed of the flak particles should definitely be increased, and the ROF perhaps down a bit, the secondary fire was fine, although the flak pieces coming out of the secondary were completely useless

Rocket Launcher:Not much to say, it's pretty much the only perfectly balanced weapon. Maybe if it would take less time to lock the rocket on a target. Like 2 or 2.5 seconds instead of like 4 seconds (well 50% less time than right now) since any good player at UT never stay idle for that long. About shooting the rockets in spiral, it's most of the time useless but since it have a pretty cool effect...

agreed

That's it, I'm done finaly. Now you can love me or hate me but I'm sure no one would stay neutral and have no opinion at all about what I've said.

Comment

UT2004 has some weapon balance issues, but none of them effectively 'break' the game. UT3 is brand new game and I'm sure it will be balanced even better than any of EPIC's previous titles seeing as they acquired so much experience making great games over the years.

Comment

The way I see it..

Each wepon should have its own strenghts and weaknesses vs every other weapon. UT2k4 nefred them about as you can come to equal without allowing for weapon properties.

If they can find a balance without turning a weapon into a worthless POS, itll be great.

Comment

It's funny, grab the Hardcore mutator (increases damage by as much as UT's Hardcore mode) and the weapon balance seems to be a lot better. A single AR grenade is enough to allow the primary to finish any nearby target (unless they're fully jacked up on 150 shield and 199 health) and any weapon can kill in a couple seconds. It speeds up the combat a lot, and you'll end up having to land headshots with the rifles or follow up with another weapon due to their low rate of fire.

Comment

Agreed on the secondary fire being a bad idea, but the primary can in fact be lethal. It's true that due to a programming error the release on-screen actually has nothing to do with whether it deals damage or not, but that's really just a graphical effect.

Assault Rifle: Totaly useless weapon, although interesting when you get 2. It's way too innacurate to be worth using it. If you spawn near someone with another weapon, you have no chance to win unless he is almost dead. So the way it's being used is just by spamming it anywhere near the target. The enforcers from UT99 were so much better. I'm happy that they make a comeback in UT3. [...] As for the secondary fire, bah it's pretty much useless and most people just empty their AR grenade as quick as possible in a room full of people and hope to get someone. So it's contribute to the whole spam.
            Making the ARs inaccurate was a stupid idea. Making the grenades chargeable and depend on the player's current speed was also a stupid idea.
            Oh well, not much point talking about it now because they're getting replaced anyway.

The childbolts a netcode issue? That's... not true. They're explicitly coded into the LG. Please don't state something as a fact when you have no clue what you're talking about.
            Additionally, removing the crosshair will actually do nothing for the gun's usefulness without zooming. It will maybe make it a bit less useful at extreme range, but that's exactly what we DON'T want for the sniper weapon because it's supposed to be for long range.

The bio is a bit of a volatile weapon. The primary seems incredibly weak, but you only need to fight a bot that has the bio to see that it CAN be very powerful. The secondary seems cool to me.

I'll agree that the primary is overpowered, but the combo most certainly is not. If anything it's underpowered right now. It's a move that's fairly easy to dodge, hard to do for new players and eats ammo like popcorn for an amount of damage that's less than the damage you could deal with the primary alone (max damage of one combo: 200. Ammo usage: 5. Damage from one shock prim: 45. Do the maths). Reduce damage AND increase ammo usage? Sounds to me like you've been on the wrong side of it a few times too often.

Agreed on the minigun's secondary not being very good.

The link primary is a bit too hard to use. I think the projectiles should start out faster and accelerate less. (or not at all)
            The secondary seems fine to me. (although if in UT3 all other weapons are made more powerful, the link secondary could use a boost as well)
            I think both the primary and the secondary use ammo too quickly though. The link can't really be used to kill several people in a row because you'll be out of ammo after the second frag.

On the flakcannon, giving the primary shards a ballistic trajectory won't change it's spammability much. As for calling the flakcannon a joke... heh. At least it's a good joke. A killer joke, even.

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
            It's funny, grab the Hardcore mutator (increases damage by as much as UT's Hardcore mode) and the weapon balance seems to be a lot better. A single AR grenade is enough to allow the primary to finish any nearby target (unless they're fully jacked up on 150 shield and 199 health) and any weapon can kill in a couple seconds. It speeds up the combat a lot, and you'll end up having to land headshots with the rifles or follow up with another weapon due to their low rate of fire.
            Increasing all damage by 50% seems like an awful idea. The shock primary is already incredibly powerful, making it so it kills with two hits is a BAD idea. (not saying the shock killing with two hits is a bad idea... actually I'd love to see that, but it won't work with the ROF and knockback of the 2k4 shock)

Comment

The Shield secondary is meant to be a quick and temporary relief weapon so that you can get to more health or a better weapon even in the face of an attacking opponent. The primary is easy enough to dodge by most decent players.

Not sure what you're smoking here, but I'll have none of it. The primary fire may be weak compared to other weapons, but if used effectively, it can at least get your opponent to move out of your way so you can get a better weapon. The secondary is pretty sweet if you ask me. A well placed grenade or two can get you out of a tight situation. Personally, I like using a grenade to finish of a better opponent just to **** him off. As for the secondary being called "spam", I personally feel that you "pro" players should quit spitting out that venom, because I thought that pro players never spam. And, why would a pro player play a non-pro? Kinda kills off that whole argument, now, doesn't it?

This part of the argument is moot, since we are now getting Enforcers again. I hope they pack a similar punch to their UT counterparts.

I like this gun as it is. IMO, it's almost too cumbersome (especially the UT2003 version) to be used effectively at close-range, but kudos to those players who can pull it off.

Probably my favorite weapon of all time. The only change I'd like to see for UT3 is to have the primary work similar to the "Bio Hoppers" in UC2. At least it would make the primary fire a bit more interesting than just laying down some goo.

I would totally love it if the Shock went back to the UT version for ROF and blast radius because it would require better aim and shot placement. At least you would then have a bit less of this overused type of kill from the powerful UT2003/4 versions.

Not removed, just renamed basically. Well, the ammo is different too. But the Stinger serves the same purpose as the Mini. I agree that it is a weaker gun than some, but it isn't useless. Like anything else, you have to employ the Mini at just the right time.

As with the Mini, the Link primary is one of those "gotta be used at the right time" weapons. The secondary speaks for itself.

The Flak secondary is awesome. However, because of it potent load, it's considered to be "spam", which is bullsh*t. The primary, though, can be used more as a tool of leverage than a killing tool, IMO, which can make it very useful in the right situation.

The spiral effect does provide for better accuracy with multiple rockets. The default multiple spread only causes more splash damage than primary fire, so unless you hit close to the target, it is a waste of rockets. However, the tactic can be used to "corral" your opponent into an area or position where you can get a better drop on him.

Comment

Shield- Many don't like the shieldgun, but it doesn't bother me. You can get around the shield with creative gun fire. If anything I'd reduce the shielding time a touch, but I like it fine the way it is. I'm going to miss it in UT3

Assault- The bullet spread is ridiculous, otherwise it's a very good starter gun that rewards skillful use. The only change I'd make is to reduce the fire cone.

Mini- Is fine the way it is. alt fire isn't used much, but it works very well in specific circumstances. Alt is much more accurate than primary, and I've gotten kills dueling with players at long range.

Link- I have a hard time with the altfire animation. I like the beam from GOTY better. it's easier for me to track, and hold on a target. Primary is ok the way it is, maybe just speed up the balls a touch.

Bio- fine the way it is

Flak- is fine the way it is. It's meant to be a close range weapon. UT2k3s flak was too spammy, and you could use it over longer ranges(too long imo)

Lightning gun- Almost perfect, I wouldn't change anything

Shock-(my favorite) The rof could be slowed down a little, maybe halfway between shock and lg for speed. If that was done I'd leave the rest the way it is, otherwise you could reduce the damage to 25 and keep the rof the same.

Rockets- fine as is

Comment

when are people going to stop whining about the guns in this game

Comment

Meh, I only used the shield to absorb impact from falls
                    I'm more likely to blow myself up with my opponent than run
                    Fix the childbolt which are actualy a netcode issue as there's no splash damage on the LG.
                    Huh whut? Those child bolts are a part of the LG fire
                    And removing the crosshair when unzoomed won't do jack. With enough practice it's easy to gauge center of the screen

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                      I feel your pain, man.
                      Me, I'm really sick and tired about people whining about other people whining even though nobody was whining to begin with. Kind of like you're doing right now. Shoo.

Comment

this thread was made to whine about weapons. Maybe its because youre a euro (The Euros on my team say that nobody has a problem with the weapons over there), but almost every thread i see these days on UT forums besides these has people whining about how the shock is overpowered or the game is too hitscan dominant. Hell theyre trying to get people to play with a nerfed shock mod now.

edit : oh and "shoo."

Comment

>Never :c

Comment

this thread was made to whine about weapons. Maybe its because youre a euro (The Euros on my team say that nobody has a problem with the weapons over there), but almost every thread i see these days on UT forums besides these has people whining about how the shock is overpowered or the game is too hitscan dominant. Hell theyre trying to get people to play with a nerfed shock mod now.

edit : oh and "shoo."
                            Since the beginning, the physics, the players, the maps, a lot is flawed. The weapons are not. The way the physics, the players, the map are, the weapons are not balanced at all, and the game is hitscan dominant. It is completely impossible to fix this proble in UT2004.

But UT3 will fix it. Your shock will not be dumbed down. Everything around the weapons will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyllian View Post
                              Meh, I only used the shield to absorb impact from falls. I'm more likely to blow myself up with my opponent than run.

And removing the crosshair when unzoomed won't do jack. With enough practice it's easy to gauge center of the screen
                              Hehe, me too I prefer to go kamikaze with 3 rockets rather than run away when I'm very low on health and know I'll die if I try to escape. I would also just use the shield to absorb impact from fall until I had no choice to use this gay weapon because else I had nothing to "prevent" the billions of shock combo everyone just do.

I know removing the crosshair of the LG won't force everyone to use it only at far range and with the zoom but at least it's gonna force much more people than no one at all which can't be worse. Right now it's way too powerful, accurate and easy to use either at close or far range. Also personnaly I find it much easier to use at close/medium range than at long range. Only the shock rifle should be used as an "assault" hitscan weapon. We don't need a second very powerful hitscan weapon at close/medium range fights.

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                              I feel your pain, man.
                              Me, I'm really sick and tired about people whining about other people whining even though nobody was whining to begin with. Kind of like you're doing right now. Shoo.
                              True. Kaiser YOU are actualy the only one here whining. Also if you can't make a diffrence between whining, and giving his opinion in order to have an inteligent discussion with other UT fans... then you are the idiot here.

Comment

Working...
                              X