Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know anyone in "RL" that is half as hardcore as you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know anyone in "RL" that is half as hardcore as you?

I'm not saying this out of pride or something, because I'm certainly not the bet UT player out there, but I do have skillz!

It would be nice to find ONE... just a SINGLE soul out there that likes UT even 1/2 as much as I do. I'm not talking about online... I mean in real life. Someone that I know personally, but that I can also game with.

When Unreal Tournament 2004 hit like 10 dollars on an online store, I convinced a few friends to buy it. Do they play it? No. They played a little single player then got frustrated with it. I showed them demorecs of me pwning online and how fun it was... I told them I'd train them personally and show them every little trick I know... They just weren't interested.

Everyone I know is a n00b O_o. The closest I've come to knowing "gamers" is the guys that play Halo 2 on the weekends sometimes, but that game is so slow-paced and even so... they whine like girls and refuse to play with one of my friends because he's so good. That's not gaming! That's shame!

Are any of you fortunate enough to know a hardcore gamer in real life? Someone who can actually keep up with you in multiple genres? Halo 2 is the only game where I know anyone who can consistently beat me, but as for UT and RTSs, and N64 and NES games and heck, even DDR haha... no one can compete! I don't say that to brag... what I'm saying is... it stinks! It's terrible winning all the time! If you are like me you know what I'm talking about. You just drool for that competition.

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
    When Unreal Tournament 2004 hit like 10 dollars on an online store, I convinced a few friends to buy it. Do they play it? No. They played a little single player then got frustrated with it. I showed them demorecs of me pwning online and how fun it was... I told them I'd train them personally and show them every little trick I know... They just weren't interested.
    Say hello to mr. learning curve. He's big, mean and NOT to be messed with.

Just to say...yeah, I have some friends like that. Even UT99 was deemed "too hard to learn the dodges" for them, so we ended up playing Quake3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 and Red alert 2 together. And even that wouldn't work out if anyone of us actually played those games outside that LAN meeting (eg. it took a lot of convincing to tell him we weren't cheating in quake...we just predicted where his straight line running would bring him to).

Then again, a clan member of mine holds small LAN events every half year or so. It's a couple hundred kilometers travel (a part even by boat), but it's always worth it to actually SEE someone that knows what a shieldjump is.

Comment

Originally posted by Taleweaver View Post
      It's a couple hundred kilometers travel (a part even by boat), but it's always worth it to actually SEE someone that knows what a shieldjump is.
      That's awesome, I would love to have a clan with some really experienced members where everyone knows things like that and we can move on to really advanced team tactics etc.

Comment

To be honest if we've been to a club or we're drunk then the wii comes out on the big screen.

Although the wii is pretty ****, the games are fun to play with friends.

We have quite a few girls in our group of friends, they can only handle simple games. Making them bend over drunk out there heads with their **** falling out whilst playing wii wins hands down over any UT sesh.

In short, UT is not what I would call a social game but I still love it and always play it when im alone.

Comment

Well you know ppls want to join a game and have some fun even if they are new to it. But with UT2003 / 2004 the problem I guess is ppls play it and its to **** ULTRA FAST for em compared to other shooters then all the dodge jumping, bunny hopping etc. going around I think that frustrates new players cause they wont stand a chance against ppls with good movement. And dont forget all the Insta Hit shiznit in UT that just adds to the high learning curve.

Well its just my guess, I know it from myself if I took again a long break from UT and play something else and then come back, man that game is so **** fast if you are not used to it and as a real new player this frustrates probably alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Shagwell View Post
            Although the wii is pretty ****, the games are fun to play with friends.
            And it should be **** - hardcore gamers play their games on computers, not on consoles

back on topic: i don't know anyone in RL who plays UT besides me, but a guy I work with plays Counterstrike rather often and would own me easily in that game

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
              Atleast you got your friends to buy the game. My friends were so uninterested they downloaded the demo and the un-installed it after 3 days of play, claiming, "people were too good". Anyway i tryed to convince for awhile, eventually they got so sick of ut2k4 they had to turn to strategy games. EH, I dunno how I upset them so much to turn to strategy games, but i did.

Comment

Like Taleweaver said, go to some local LAN Tournaments, with an emphasis on the Tournament part. There you'll find a lot of people who not only have the skill to challenge you, but will share your love of the game's competitive values.

Sadly, 90% of these forums are composed of people who have NO idea what you're talking about (UTcomp, etc) and will rant because they can't imagine taking gaming seriously.

Glad to see how you're trying to spread the game around, though.

Comment

Ut2004 take time to learn, so I think there for people giving up playing it after a while. It don't help new players either to hear "Noob" "Sucker" etc. etc. when they try to learn the game. Compare to Counter strike so is UT2004 hard to learn so much things you can practise in UT2004 there for I love the game. I'm not very skilled, even I played it for 3 years nearly dayly, exept for some month I was away for work. If people try to help new people to play the game, give them tip and advice instead for calling them "Noobs" so should it go much better, and we need more people to play UT for the game itself shall live and improve! That's what we trying to do with the new community we created, UIC, to keep people together, but it seems to be hard to gather people together. I think it needs for UT so we keep alive in the game, and for future UT games. So people, support our favourite game so we can keep it alive and play for many years. Let us have a strong Independent community runned by all together! www.ut2004tournament.com

Comment

the trick is to get into a clan, which is actually pretty simple.

If you found a clan you're getting along with you will spend a lot of time together online. If you're lucky this friendship can live on in real-life.

Comment

Though I may not know any of my clan members in real life atm, I feel as if I do. I have been playing with the same guys for about 3 years. They are mostly better than me, and we usually are on ventrilo or teamspeak during gaming.

I have been told numerous times that if I were anywhere near where they were, and needed a place to crash, I would be welcome. I truly believe them. I would also return the favor (when I'm outta college staying at my own place).

There are many longstanding clans with some very good players that I know of. Four of the clans I can think of have been together for over 3 years each, and have solid member bases, and will continue into UT3 when it comes out (if it doesnt suck *knocks on wooden desk*).

I guess, it's all about being lucky enough to find the right group of people to play with. I consider myself very lucky to have joined the clan I am in. They are more of an extension of my family than just a clan.

Comment

Originally posted by poltomb View Post
                        Though I may not know any of my clan members in real life atm, I feel as if I do. I have been playing with the same guys for about 3 years. They are mostly better than me, and we usually are on ventrilo or teamspeak during gaming.

I have been told numerous times that if I were anywhere near where they were, and needed a place to crash, I would be welcome. I truly believe them. I would also return the favor (when I'm outta college staying at my own place).

There are many longstanding clans with some very good players that I know of. Four of the clans I can think of have been together for over 3 years each, and have solid member bases, and will continue into UT3 when it comes out (if it doesnt suck *knocks on wooden desk*).

I guess, it's all about being lucky enough to find the right group of people to play with. I consider myself very lucky to have joined the clan I am in. They are more of an extension of my family than just a clan.
                        Hey, I resemble that remark. >.>

Same here, basically. Our community is a bit of a family. Atleast, the basic group of members is. I consider myself friends with most of them, and we've had barbecues and meetings and such, as well. All great fun.

Comment

I m alright at ut

I no people in rl tht i hg wif on online dy about as good as me we can waste most players i no a few things bout ut 1 it suks on conslos all real good players play on pc (its gust easyer i think its a mainy pc game after all goty was frist relzed on pc) 2 you crnt stop moving some of my friends online and in rl have a problem which frustates me and i need to keep reminding them it is probly the most basic rule 3 i think youre a control freack man you crnt teach some1 you need to be pataint sure you can give them helpful pointers and stuff 4 another main thing is knowing da maps it all very well if youre good but if u dnt no the map you a walking target 5 the best weapons over all are the shock rife and da mini 6 aiming is overated i mean it is important but if it takes you crouching down in a spot to hit some1 youre beter off with a flack ps i hvnt ben mem 4 dat long so how u get that pic

Comment

do not mix achol and ut 2gfor me and a few guys were smokin weed bad mix man

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
                              Like Taleweaver said, go to some local LAN Tournaments, with an emphasis on the Tournament part.
                              I can agree on that, though that's not what I said. Just because he's a clan member that organises LAN's doesn't mean it's a tournament as well. Rather the opposite: it were more friendly and social events where you could play some games together too. No organised brackets, ladders or tournaments, but nice chatter, friendly conversations and games that differ only from online ones by the low ping for everyone and the occasional jokes in the background.
                              There were some players challenging each other, but overall, nobody cared who had the most 1337 skills.
                              ...Then again, these LAN's weren't aimed at competition to begin with. If you want to improve, you'll need to play Tournaments indeed.

Originally posted by poltomb View Post
                              Though I may not know any of my clan members in real life atm, I feel as if I do.
                              Correction: you DO know them in real life. You just haven't seen them, that's all.
                              If you would ever meet them, you would find that you can just pick up conversations where you left them in threads or chats, and continue in pretty much the same way.
                              I carpooled to the last LAN with someone I never saw before either. After that weekend, he dropped me off at work. I gave him the keys to my house and my computer, with the request to put it in my basement somewhere, and the key itself in the mail box. I never even doubted he'd do anything but what he did.
                              I don't consider my community to be a family...I consider my family as a sort of community.

Originally posted by KILL@_KARN View Post
                              do not mix achol and ut 2gfor me and a few guys were smokin weed bad mix man
                              May I suggest that you don't mix it with foruming either? I've seen cryptograms that were easier to read than your post.

Comment

Working...
                              X