Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD vs Mouselag vs ghosting

Hi.

I got a Samsung Syncmaster 226 BW (2ms) since a couple of days and i got some mouse lag and ghosting.

My question, did somebody have a solution for those problems?

Some specs:

Game gfx 1024x768 x 75hz
    XP2700
    Radeon 9700 pro
    1024 mb ram
    Key / mouse G15 keybord and a G5 mouse with a icemat

Maybe somebody can help me with posting a ut2004.ini / user.ini with settings optimized for a lcd panel?

Ps. i know there is a option to give the skins a light effect somebody knows this mod?

Thank you.

Best regards Rob

>I think you'll just have to end up buying a different LCD.

Comment

I have a Samsung 941 BW and it works fine, i use is as my second monitor but while I was on the road I used it as my main monitor, it works fine and i seen no apparent ghosting. Looking at your computer specs i see more pressing issues that may be the cause of the ghosting. For one LCD monitors preform best at native resolution, your native res on your 22" is 1680x1050 at 60hz(some LCD monitors preform worse at 75).
      Which leads to the second problem the 9700pro is a weak video card, while the game will run it will not run stellar at all. Check your framerate in game, under about 35 fps is very bad and would defiantly cause lag.

Thanks for mentioning your mouse pad, the IceMat is known not run well with the G5 laser and most laser mice in general. It will skip and not track well, id try your table to see if you get better results and smoother in game movement.

Comment

Im running a Philips 170B6 8ms 17", no ghosting at all. Runs perfectly fine.
        Full settings @ 1280x1024 (the native resolution of the monitor) on a 7900GT

Comment

I got a fps of 85 with the native resolution.
          So i think my hardware is ok?

Nobody changed his settings after switching there display?

Comment

Originally posted by genesisfm View Post
            I got a fps of 85 with the native resolution.
            So i think my hardware is ok?

Nobody changed his settings after switching there display?
            Originally posted by genesisfm
            1024x768
            Unless your running a 15" monitor, 1024x768 will not be the native resolution. For most LCD's its 1280x1024. Check the manual of your monitor.

Also, are you from NZ? GenesisFM is a radio station over here.....

Comment

I would be quite surprised if a 9700 pro could run at over 85 fps @ 1650X1050. Unless your running on low settings.

Comment

Just so you guys know... ms ratings on LCDs are almost worthless.. Some measure white to black, but the gaming monitors often measure gray-to-gray which yeilds faster times. In addition to this, it's actually only hitting its advertised ms under the most ideal of circumstances where all of the colors and everything are perfect, when in reality, 99% of the time, the ms is much higher.

In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if your LCD is having legitimate ghosting problems. I didn't really research your specific LCD though, that's up to you.

In my mind, there is still no such thing as a "Gaming LCD". An LCD is an LCD, and if you want to be a hardcore gamer without any problems you get a really nice CRT. Love ma' CRT.

Comment

I think the most important upgrade for LCD will be the move to 100 Hz. This will cut the amount of noticeable ghosting. Even if the screen has a poor response time this helps resolve the problem of ghosting due to the poor reaction time of crystals.

Comment

Wow, I just purchased the SyncMaster 906bm yesterday after my Sony CRT died

I am running it at the native 1440/900 on a 9800-Pro at 60hz (seems to be the highest the card can push at this res), I have not noticed any problems on UT/UT2k4,Doom3, FEAR, all seem fine. Really wish I could get the refresh higher as I tend to get tired eyes easier at 60 (at least wth a crt).

If you run it at a lower res, oh man, does that look fuzzy.

Only 'problem' I have is that it is so danged bright. I have the brightness at 7 and it is still too bright really for my taste. In the games I had to turn down the brightness considerable as well. I always ran my monitor about 33% brightness.

Anyway, I have been pleasantly surprised by this display. Seems like it is gonna work out fine.

Comment

I did some tests and the LCD perfomance is the best at 1024 x 758 and not at the native resolution ? (bot with fps 85 and low res)
                      Anyway my eyes are very sensitive i'm also detecting when a CRT monitor has a refresh freq of 75 or lower.
                      When i'm looking to a 60 hz refresh state of a CRT it looks like a flashlight.

Another point of lag what i got is mouse lag? or a delay on my monitor?
                      Did somebody detected the same?

Comment

The game will run faster at a lower resolution, but will not look nearly as nice/crisp.

Not sure that may cause ghosting, really don't know.

MY guess is the 9700 will not run the LCD at it's native resolution.

By Mouse lag, you mean that the mouse / crosshair does not respond correclty when you move, as in, they display and mouse seem to be out of sync? Or that it move oddly/erratically?

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
                          In my mind, there is still no such thing as a "Gaming LCD". An LCD is an LCD, and if you want to be a hardcore gamer without any problems you get a really nice CRT. Love ma' CRT.

I actually found my viewsonic LCD was superior to my CRT, but to each their own, I think this is a subjective area. That said, it was rubbish at 60hz, but once ramped up to 75hz refresh it was crystal clear and totally smooth, - Id never go back. But other people swear their CRTs are the best ever, so I think its important people test with an open mind and see whats best for them.

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
                            JSome measure white to black, but the gaming monitors often measure gray-to-gray which yeilds faster times.
                            You're a bit wrong here - grey-to-grey requires more time to change than black-to-white. It may sound strange but it is so. The old ratings all use BW because this way vendors had smaller switch time. Even overdrive technology widely used now is not perfect. The idea behind it to increase power supplied to a cell so it switches faster. However this may result in switching to fast, so that cell "misses" the position it needs to display proper color.

There's no way to tweak UT2004.ini for an LCD panel to get rid of this problem - it's the display and there's nothing one can do about. The only solution is to go to the shop and terrorize the shop assistants by checking every model with some kind of test.

Comment

Bump.

Okay...I'm looking into buying a new flatscreen, and the 226 BW from Samsung was my first choice right now (high contrast ratio and very low response time, which I heard are the main criteria).

...but this thread left me a bit worried.
                              Originally posted by genesisfm View Post
                              I did some tests and the LCD perfomance is the best at 1024 x 758 and not at the native resolution ? (bot with fps 85 and low res)
                              Anyway my eyes are very sensitive i'm also detecting when a CRT monitor has a refresh freq of 75 or lower.
                              When i'm looking to a 60 hz refresh state of a CRT it looks like a flashlight.

Another point of lag what i got is mouse lag? or a delay on my monitor?
                              Did somebody detected the same?
                              I'm not sure if I understand this correctly: did you manage to get rid of all the ghosting?

Basically: that mouse lag you described you had (or even still have, since nobody answered that, apparently)...did you had that before you had the new monitor as well?

I wrote down some things to help that, but if it started with the new monitor, I can't say whether they will actually help.

(from BUF's Frequently Asked Questions)
                              Help! My computer randomly skips some seconds while I'm playing. My framerates are also horrible!
                              This is a known complaint. Some refer to it as computer freezing, others as 'offline lag'. The problem is caused by the memory not being able to catch up to what it's supposed to do. It happens to everyone with 256 RAM, and most players with 512 as well. Don't worry: you won't have to run to the hardware store to upgrade your hardware yet. First, try the following steps:
                              1. Get the latest patch (version 3369 at the moment).
                              2. Go to Settings, and then to the game tab. There, uncheck 'speech recognition and 'preload all player skins'. In the 'Audio' tab, uncheck the settings of 'Text to speech'. These are functions that are 'convenient', yet terrible memory hogs.
                                • speech recognition allows you to order bots around by voice, provided that you have the (free) software and the microphone installed
                                • preload all player skins loads every skin into memory while loading a map. The option prevents your computer to freeze for a split second when a new player joins (the skin has to be loaded in the memory). Disabling this option considerably shortens level load times.
                                • Text to speech reads all written chat messages aloud. Though this might help online co-ordination, it might be a nuisance when playing with chat-happy players. It also takes up a big deal of memory.
                              3. Go the Settings, in the Display tab. There, uncheck some settings and lower your details. The parts of the visuals you sacrifice will be rewarded in better framerates and a clearer visibility (less "cluttering" by fancy effects)
                              4. if you're still having problems, it's best to visit Tweakguides. In 13 steps, it'll show you every UT2004 tweak out there, from driver and OS updates to getting rid of the NVidialogo intro movie.

Oh yeah...and to answer one of your original questions:
                              "i know there is a option to give the skins a light effect somebody knows this mod?"
                              ...the answer is in the guide in my signature. Somewhere in 'my settings' (my own guide is blocked by the firewall here at work, or I'd paste that answer here too).

Comment

Working...
                              X