dear Epic (rant on Tickrate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dear Epic (rant on Tickrate)

why is it so easy for people to goof up a server with a 50 tickrate?? please make the thing where they can not mess with it !!!

Locking down servers so people cannot **** them up will mean locking down servers so that people who know what they're doing cannot tweak performance and settings, and customise for a better experience.

Much as I hate playing on servers where the admin hasn't got a clue the disconnect button is readily available.

I'd rather have the server highly configurable than less, and take the hit on having to reconnect elsewhere after visiting "Nupty's server of lag".

The more I code serverside addins the more I learn just how clever the underlying design is, and how open it was made. (As well as how many different coding styles there are in the existing code and how many bits were started and never finished in time).

So - sorry to say, it's a -1 from me here on that one.

Comment

>Well put Piglet.

Comment

i agree with what you are saying but when you have a choice of only a few servers and they have no clue how to set them up i would rather it locked down then not be able to play..this game has gotten out of hand with self indulgence,nowhere do two games ever appear the same anymore..it is re **** ulas...!

Comment

Heh - Yeh - I understand the frustration.

Is it time to host a server yourself or club together with a few like-minded folks and get something local set up with reasonable settings?

Comment

well that is my thought for ut3 but i am just done with o4...

Comment

That's a shame. It's still going stong this side of the pond.

Comment

I agree that too many people set incorrect tickrates. Somewhere down the line a section of people decided that high tickrate = low ping = good gaming. Sadly this is not what I experience, high tickrate = server cant keep up = bad gaming.

Its ironic that a change people make to improve hitscan responsiveness actually makes it worse - in my experience at least.

But Piglet makes the important point, the alternative seems worse than the current situation...

Comment

Working...
                X