UT2004 Online Play Became Harder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2004 Online Play Became Harder?

Maybe its just me getting older. Yes, I'm 47 and have been playing online 3D shooters since the old school net Quake clan days using 28K-56K modems on up to Cable Internet speeds today. It just seems to me that online PC Internet play with 3D shooters seems a lot harder lately.

I like playing on UT2K4 servers with stats enabled to track my progress. Over the past years I brought my EFF steadily up from 40-some percent to 67% so I felt like I was really improving. My since December my EFF started gradually dropping to 66.5% now. Yeah that's not much change compared to 67% but I feel like I'm slipping backwards. It is so hard just to break even with kills/deaths and seems lucky to maintain a double kills to deaths ratio.

Am I just worrying about it too much? Are cheaters more prevalent now a days on UT2K4? Is my 5 year old WinXP PC just outclassed hardware-wise by those with faster video cards? Is it just a matter of skill that everyone else seems to kick butt like they are veterans and I'm regressing to newbie status?

I'm just curious if others feel my way from time to time.

Ikaros...

Well first of all which im sure you already know, there are way more players playing online then ever before(this includes just games in general not just UT2003). The more players there are, the larger scale of skill there will be. Also like you mentioned before, most players playing online dont have 56k let alone 28k modems now days, which means most players in a server are at less of a disadvantage to the host or players near the host, unlike back in the day when everyone was at a disadvantage to the host(this still applies today but not nearly as bad).

For some personal advise id say yes you are worring about it to much. Games are for fun, but sometimes fun only comes along when you are doing well, for some people.

Comment

Thanks Kronos, I think you are right. BTW, I meant to type UT2004 not 2003 so I re-edited my post and thread title, my bad.

I have cable but sometimes online play seems to really lag. Lately, I'll find out (usually at a critical moment) that I'm running around the map but not really there because I can't pick up any items for 5-10 seconds at least but I can hear fighting going on and when I'm shot at. I'm pretty much blind as far as interacting with other players when that happens. Next I'll appear where I really am - dead! I seem to do better on servers with less total players, like 4-8. I think deathmatch server admins should limit maximum players to between 8 to 16 total. It get out of hand with 18-20 players spamming you and constantly getting killed at spawn points. Also getting killed by a shield gun fool really sux so I'm glad to hear that in UT3 they decided to do away with it. That is such a cowardly weapon!

Comment

>Stats don't mean jack really. I think your worrying too much. Also, what servers do you play on?

Comment

good idea, i should check my progress, i never cared cuase i ussually own

Comment

Originally posted by Defeat View Post
            >Stats don't mean jack really.
            Thats pretty much the truth for most games.

Comment

If I had stats, they would probably suck, I've only gotten Wicked Sick once ever (demo bot ctf face server, lol). My kills deaths ratio would probably be even.

I get a lot of headshots though.

Oh, and the game is hard because players have been playing for a long time, and those that aren't so good are for the most part scared away.

Comment

Pings get lower, scan %'s get higher.

Shocktape = easy kills.

If you don't practice it, you get mowed by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Defeat View Post
                  >Stats don't mean jack really. I think your worrying too much. Also, what servers do you play on?
                  Quoted for truth.

For one, your accuracy is based on your hits. But it's not because you make fewer hits that you became a worse player. It's perfectly possible that you just faced people who are better at avoiding shots than before. And that doesn't say anything of THEIR skill either. If you put 32 players on a small map, everyone's accuracy will be much higher than any 1vs1 game. It's harder to miss, yes, but that's a small reason. More important is that there is too much activity to keep it under control, which means you can always be shot by someone who has an easy shot at you.

Then there's other factors as well. Ping, as Aenubis mentions, and package loss can drastically lower accuracy. And though Kronos is talking about an increasing number of gamers in general, I'd say the numbers of UT2004 playing people are actually dropping (especially in the US, if I can believe the rumours)...and it's more likely that the die-hard fans will stay than the newer blood -> the average skill level is actually increasing over time.

There are other reasons why stats are useless (not everything gets recorded, to name one), but I think you get the picture. Just keep playing the game and enjoy it as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                    I have cable but sometimes online play seems to really lag. Lately, I'll find out (usually at a critical moment) that I'm running around the map but not really there because I can't pick up any items for 5-10 seconds at least but I can hear fighting going on and when I'm shot at. I'm pretty much blind as far as interacting with other players when that happens. Next I'll appear where I really am - dead! I seem to do better on servers with less total players, like 4-8. I think deathmatch server admins should limit maximum players to between 8 to 16 total. It get out of hand with 18-20 players spamming you and constantly getting killed at spawn points. Also getting killed by a shield gun fool really sux so I'm glad to hear that in UT3 they decided to do away with it. That is such a cowardly weapon!
                    Sounds like you are playing on a server with bad lag. I would suggest playing on a server that is hosted by an independant third party instead of on player hosted games. Then you are all on even playing fields. For example, our servers are on a 100mb/s network connection instead of in somebody's house. Home hosted players like to brag they have a 6000kb/s cable connection, but their uplink speed is most likely 500kb/s or lower, and will only support 4-8 players max before lag problems occur real bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                      For some personal advise id say yes you are worring about it to much. Games are for fun, but sometimes fun only comes along when you are doing well, for some people.
                      This is different with different peoples and different games. In UT2004, if I don't do well, the game is one of the worse around, I don't know, the game's death and all just do not make it satisfying at all. In some game, I don't care at all about losing and I could play hours while losing.

UT had better success when it came to that.

Anyway, you may be worrying too much... because you look relatively skilled. I suck, plain and simple, I stopped playing UT2004 because I was getting owned, could barely ever play a game, I either owned (rarely, only in Demo servers and only once a month...) or got owned completely. One kill or two in the whole game. Wow.

People are getting so skilled its rediculous. Unless you start wasting your whole time on the game forever, you will "slip" behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake-SF View Post
                        People are getting so skilled its rediculous. Unless you start wasting your whole time on the game forever, you will "slip" behind.
                        That's not entirely true in my opinion. I still run into people who have only been playing a few weeks nearly every day, and most of them are improving pretty fast compared to when I just started.
                        Yes, they have a lot to catch up to, but because they are always playing against better players, they improve much faster.
                        The difference is that they are making a concious effort to improve because they immediately and constantly notice the huge skill gap between old and new players. When the old players started, they had nobody to "look up to" and so didn't improve as fast.
                        Also, I always give tips and answer questions to new players if they want to, which also helps them improve faster... I didn't get that when I was new. Nobody ever told me the 100a takes 55 seconds to spawn, I had to figure that out myself.
                        I've played this game since the day the demo came out, but I still loose a 1on1 every once in a while to somebody who has only been playing a few months.

Comment

Maybe you are just losing interest? The day I stopped to care about the game my results went out the window.

Comment

Working...
                          X