Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone actually like playing ONS competitively?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone actually like playing ONS competitively?

To be blunt, it's pretty much all said in the subject.

There will probably be many replying with "uhhhh, yes?" and if so, can you please tell me what u actually like about it? the vehicles?

I think it's really different to all the other modes in the sense that it holds far less of a requirement for general 'DM' than the other modes (and this applys to vehicular DM too).

The factors in the following modes essentially require DM (you cannot win without it):

TDM: that's what it is
    CTF: defending flag
    AS: defending objectives
    BR: killing the one with the ball
    DDOM: defending control points

Now u might wonder what the point in listing that was, but if you try stick ONS in there u just can't. You can play an entire ONS game with just shooting/linking nodes and if you do it well, tbh you're going to be ****ing useful to your team. The only problem? It is dull as...

Now that's not to say DMing in ONS isn't useful, ofc your not going to be able to do the previous very easily if the other team is sniping/mini-ing the hell out of you, but I think it's just the fact that DM is not neccessary which puts me off. A lot of the time it can be better to just shoot the node and dodge like hell instead of trying to kill (or even killing) the guy shooting you.

Control over the map is won by destroying nodes (which can be shot at from a distance, hence ignoring the enemy players).

I think this is the reason why I dislike the actual ONS game, and that vehicles maybe better suited to a mode with a totally different structure. When I think about it I enjoy running around on Torlan etc, but only to kill other players.

I guess you could argue that it's really helpful to have players who are there to kill the enemies, and players who are there to link/destroy nodes. I'm pretty sure most competative ONS players do a mixture of both, but don't you just find the whole killing nodes part so dull?

I'm an AS player so feel free to diss any aspect of assault in your argument.

Maybe because when I play DM or CTF I get dominated by LG, Shock all the time I turn to ONS……. At least I have half a chance in a Tank.

Comment

I always find it hard to answer these kind of questions.

Why do enjoy it?

Onslaught is so much more then capping nodes. Especially at the competitive level the pace of the game is extremly high and active at all times. Yes it's capping nodes but destroying the node is usually a reward of a good battle around the node.

Also, I have been in the following situation many times before (and I'm sure all the other ONS'ers recognise this.)

I attack the enemy prime, and the enemy is attacking my prime. You KNOW that your node is going to die unless you cut it off. Adrenaline starts pumping, you have mere seconds to kill the node and win the map for your team. Just one more shot!

Boom the node locks off the enemy node network. This is for me one of the most rewarding things in Onslaught, as you know you have given your team victory.

However you could also see the node getting locked just as your last flakball is heading for the node. Adrenaline again as you now need to rush AS FAST YOU CAN to your prime node and make sure the enemy doesn't take it.

About your deathmatch comment. In Onslaught you have 2 lifebars; Your vehicle and your normal health. You don't fight infantry unless you need to in your battle to the core. However, you always fight with your vehicle first, then on foot.

Best moment in ONS; shooting a vehicle into an enemy. So funny.

Comment

i enjoy most gametypes..none would i want to play competively..i play for fun..and they all are...when i get bored..i play a different one..

Comment

How can anything that is so competitive be dull? At its best it can be fast and skilful. Good players have the space to pull wow moves like taking two diving mantas out with one shock combo, good team match ups can last ages and be totally absorbing ,everything a good online FPS game should be.

The problem with DM is when large numbers are playing in the confined space maps, you get alot of spamming , skilless, aimless fire aimed at killing by chance. Good players can suffer multiple deaths too quickly simply by unlucky spawning locations.

Comment

Originally posted by iron12 View Post
            Maybe because when I play DM or CTF I get dominated by LG, Shock all the time I turn to ONS……. At least I have half a chance in a Tank.

try to practice and get better??

Comment

Well, I don't play anything compeitivley, but ONS is my favourite gametype.

ONS plays very differently to the other types because of wide spaces and vehicles. However, the extra strategy this gives the game is something I love. And I have had many ground duels in ONS, its just that usually happens when my vehicle is blown up. There is nothing more satisfying than taking down a big vehicle (paladin, goliath or even leviathan) on your own, as an agile foot soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Destini View Post

There will probably be many replying with "uhhhh, yes?" and if so, can you please tell me what u actually like about it? the vehicles?

I think it's really different to all the other modes in the sense that it holds far less of a requirement for general 'DM' than the other modes (and this applys to vehicular DM too).

The factors in the following modes essentially require DM (you cannot win without it):

Now u might wonder what the point in listing that was, but if you try stick ONS in there u just can't. You can play an entire ONS game with just shooting/linking nodes and if you do it well, tbh you're going to be ****ing useful to your team. The only problem? It is dull as...

Now that's not to say DMing in ONS isn't useful, ofc your not going to be able to do the previous very easily if the other team is sniping/mini-ing the hell out of you, but I think it's just the fact that DM is not neccessary which puts me off. A lot of the time it can be better to just shoot the node and dodge like hell instead of trying to kill (or even killing) the guy shooting you.

Control over the map is won by destroying nodes (which can be shot at from a distance, hence ignoring the enemy players).

I think this is the reason why I dislike the actual ONS game, and that vehicles maybe better suited to a mode with a totally different structure. When I think about it I enjoy running around on Torlan etc, but only to kill other players.

I guess you could argue that it's really helpful to have players who are there to kill the enemies, and players who are there to link/destroy nodes. I'm pretty sure most competative ONS players do a mixture of both, but don't you just find the whole killing nodes part so dull?

Seems to me like you never played ONS competitively. The best ONS teams (Divine, KoNA, Pure, uMA, in the old days T5K, SCK ect) are the ones that have a balance of vehicle and DM skill. The ability to DM is very important in ONS, just not as important as TDM/1v1. A team with purely vehicle skill or purely DM skill probably won't beat a balanced team. There are always going to be exceptions but generally I think thats the case.

Now that's not to say DMing in ONS isn't useful, ofc your not going to be able to do the previous very easily if the other team is sniping/mini-ing the hell out of you
                I pulled this out to show how little you know. The idea of extent of DMing in ONS being mini spamming makes me LOL. In all honesty your rant is just a bunch of rambling ****. I hate to come off as such a jerk but it really sounds like you don't have the first clue about ONS. It's too bad you won't get to experience it to the fullest these days. It's still worth giving a shot though. Or at least you can say you tried it and then maybe form some type of constructive argument.

Comment

I love hunting vehicles on foot, especially with weapons like the bio-rifle. . Can't do that in DM! Also, doing something that takes a bit of time (like building or destroying a node) while keeping an eye out for incoming enemy vehicles and foot troops is great fun. It isn't all about non-stop firefights; anticipation and tension is fun too, and this is something the DM crowd doesn't relate to. To them, tension and anticipation seem equivalent to boredom, so these parts of ONS don't appeal.

Assault-04, BTW, suffers the same mentality as DM: no downtime; nothing but a chokepoint firefight. You can't really relate AS to ONS, for this reason.

Comment

ONS is broken. Whether you dominate or get your butt kicked, you're still fighting on a single primary node for the majority of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snafu View Post
                      ONS is broken. Whether you dominate or get your butt kicked, you're still fighting on a single primary node for the majority of the game.
                      But that is not a problem with ONS, it's the mapper's.

Comment

I love competitive ONS for the very reasons the OP says he doesn't like ONS.

I simply don't like gametypes that come down to the mundane task of fragging another person, and ONS lets me have fun and complete the goal without having to trade flak with someone. For me, killing someone is boring as hell, and I need something more complex than that.

Really, it comes down to resource management, knowing your enemies' weakness, and especially teamwork. Know what resources (vehicles) your enemy has, use yours to counter them, and have someone else to cap the node.

I never engage someone in foot combat because I know the goal isn't to kill the other team, but to take their nodes. I just dodge like mad and pound their node. If I die, I know my teammate is right there, and he's going to finish the task. In fact, I kind of laugh at the other team when they try to kill me instead of healing their node. The more time that I make them waste while they use DM tactics against me, the closer my allied Goliath gets, the more damage my allied Manta does to their node, and the closer we are to winning.

The only need to defend a node is when a high-damage vehicle is attacking. You have to stop a Goliath as soon as possible, but I completely ignore the guy with the shock rifle. It's not worth my time to try and kill him when my teammate in a Raptor can do the job in one-tenth of the time. Likewise, if I meet someone in the field, I just fly right past him. Dogfighting doesn't cap the node, DMing doesn't cap the node.

For me, the thrill comes from the team working as one precision tool: each person acts as one cog in the machine, performing their task as the decoy, the node killer, the healer, or whatever is necessary. Two people building the final node, the rest waiting at the enemy core ready for the signal. It's beautiful when it's in motion.

Comment

Maybe we should first get the names straight. You are talking about frag-power, not about DM-skill - you can watch a lot of DM-matches where the one with less frag-power still wins the match due to superior tactics or superior shield-gun-usage

In CTF you can be very usefull without a lot of frag-power, too. You just have jump around with the shieldgun to carry the enemy flag back to your base. Same thing in BR.
                          In AS and DDom (and of course in TDM) you will need a lot of frag-power to win the match.
                          In every mod frag-power usually helps to win the match.

If you have superior tactics you are a quantum leap ahead of your opponent, still to win the match you frag-power really helps a lot. If your frag-power is much higher than that of your opponent chances are very high that you will win the match. This is not necessarily the case with tactics.

The "killing nodes" part surely is not dull, it's how you get your adrenalin rushes - when you hear over vent/TS that the enemy is shooting your node and has it nearly vaporized while you are doing the same at the opponents node, when you start screaming on TS to just link that darn node a sec longer so that you can pull down the enemy node... that's when ONS is fun. And especially comebacks are great - which involve a lot of node-destruction/construction.

*edit: heh, just read your post, a_spec. Must be true then, as we both describe the same scene

Comment

I wouldnt go so far to call it DM skill in ONS, but the ability to frag yeah sure DM is about fragging but there is alot of other skills in there!

TDM is a total different dynamic especially with weapon stay off, you have to work as a team alot more then even ONS, although a good team in ONS will have that down and can dominate using a good combination of vehicles and infantry.

Comment

I like having a sense of purpose in the game that goes beyond "kill people" or even "cap nodes". Killing people and capping nodes are a step along the way to something greater (destroying the core).

ONS has several design issues that detract from this. One is the fact that nodes can be shot from a distance, another is the horrible primary node setups in Epic's maps, a third is the fact that death is but a geographic inconvenience. These issues over-emphasize capping nodes at the expense of killing people or destroying the core. You don't kill people because it's so easy to focus on the nodes instead, you don't kill people because killing the right node wins you the round, you don't kill people because all it does is effectively teleporting them to the nearest node. You only destroy cores, as a formality, when you're done capping nodes.

Another issue is weapons designed for small DM maps in large ONS maps. This causes many weapons to be overused or underused, resulting in repetitive gameplay (AVRiL and shock everywhere you look).

Comment

Working...
                              X