Windows Vista and ping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista and ping

When i used XP i got a ping of about 60, but after upgrading to Vista i get ping of 200

any one know what i can do?

but my FPS went up from 70 to 100

Are you using a router? If so, kill off the Windows Firewall when playing UT online. IIRC, Vista enables it by default.

Comment

no router here.. ill try windows fw

Comment

no did not work

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
          Are you using a router? If so, kill off the Windows Firewall when playing UT online. IIRC, Vista enables it by default.
          Since when do firewalls increase pings?

I'd say the most likely explanation is that windows vista has some settings that check up to the internet quite often. Automatic online clock fixing and the downloading/checking for windows updates come to mind (for windows XP, though I guess these are in Vista too).

Oh, and the most obvious question (just to be 100% sure): you ARE checking the same servers, right?

Comment

if that is true then im defenitely not getting vista....

thanks for heads up... my fps is already over 100 hehe

Comment

ive tryed many differnt servers, all have higher ping than i go in XP

ill disable all the windows update **** when i get home

Comment

Originally posted by Taleweaver View Post
                Since when do firewalls increase pings?
                Okay, I'm stupid. I remembered reading an article several months ago about Vista's firewall going off on a tangent at times and supposedly inspecting the packets less efficiently, which in turn created a latency (ping?).

Comment

I don't have an answer for you, but Vista has been working fine for me. No change in ping whatsoever. I'd open up task manager and look at the network tab. Make sure that nothing is broadcasting out(virus', spyware). I'll give the problem some more thought, maybe something will come to me...

Comment

People are actually buying vista

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
                      I actually got my copy free, but I would have bought it eventually. Once the drivers are more mature it'll surpass XP in every way. It's MS' best os so far, and I see it only getting better over time.

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
                        Not in this lifetime. That aside, installed Vista yesterday and all UT games, so going to see what my ping is this afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmeare View Post
                          When i used XP i got a ping of about 60, but after upgrading to Vista i get ping of 200

any one know what i can do?

but my FPS went up from 70 to 100
                          This sort of thing happened when XP was first released. As they refine the OS and drivers it will clear up. I plan on dual booting XP and Vista for a while.

Comment

Played and owned, normal ping here. Maybe the problem is on your side ?

Comment

Working...
                            X