UT-based stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT-based stories

Hi everyone, it's my first msg on this forum.

Do any of you know a UT based story/book ?

If not, think it'd be interesting reading one ? I think this game is a good base for many plots.

A book series wouldn't be bad, kinda like what Warcraft 3 has. But I don't know of any existing books or stories outside the games themselves. And welcome to the forum.

Comment

my 1st reply, ya a book would be great

Comment

ya know . . that ain't a bad idea :up:

Comment

Thank you

That's just what I needed to hear.

Comment

A unreal based movie would own :P Screw books who knows how to read any how?

Comment

Originally posted by shawneboy
              A unreal based movie would own :P Screw books who knows how to read any how?

I have to agree about this... a book about the Unreal stuff would end up likely being written by a low-level author and come off just as a lot of other game books: average.

....I think it would be a subject better shown on the big screen....

Comment

Originally posted by dethmanrulz
                I have to agree about this... a book about the Unreal stuff would end up likely being written by a low-level author and come off just as a lot of other game books: average.

....I think it would be a subject better shown on the big screen....
                How do you know such a movie would not end up "being directed by a low-level author and come off just as a lot of other game [movies] : average."

Let me remind you a list of movies made out of games (almost all are made from video games) :
                Super Mario Bros.
                Street Fighter the Movie
                Mortal Kombat
                Double Dragon
                Dungeons & Dragons
                Resident Evil
                Wing Commander
                Final Fantasy the Spirit Within

None of them were particularly great movies.
                Some of them sucked so much they even bombed at the box office.
                None of them make me particularly confident about a UT big screen movie.
                Moreover, the average movie goers are not necessarily gamers or interested in game-related movies.

Comment

Originally posted by -Loric-
                  How do you know such a movie would not end up "being directed by a low-level author and come off just as a lot of other game [movies] : average."

Let me remind you a list of movies made out of games (almost all are made from video games) :
                  Super Mario Bros.
                  Street Fighter the Movie
                  Mortal Kombat
                  Double Dragon
                  Dungeons & Dragons
                  Resident Evil
                  Wing Commander

Moreover, the average movie goers are not necessarily gamers or interested in game-related movies.
                  Resident Evil was a sweet movie, as was Final Fantasy. Both modern movies. I think now a days video games to the big screen will be better. We just have to wait and see.

Comment

Most of those movies were indeed quite bad.

But most movies based on ANYTHING tend to be quite bad. I just watchd TIMELINE, with a few friends, and we all had read the book before. We were all horrified at how bad it was. lol.

Same with movies based on games, usually they are a flop. Although certain games lend themselves to a movie atmosphere. Mainly games that are very linear and heavily plot driven.

For example Max Payne is made like a 'graphic novel', but the story is simple enough to fit within a 2 hour movie and they would even have space to embellish it a little.

But I digress,

with UT2003, they'd have to make up a plot, which probably wouldn't be very good. (For UT2003 , Hollywood would probably think of something typical like "the hero, Torch, falls in love with Sapphire, but she gets kidnapped by Mr. Crow with the help of his robot army lead by Mandible and Syzygy. Torch rescues Sapphire by flak spamming the entire robot army, Sapphire falls in love with him and they live happily ever after"

So yah....hehe..it MIGHT work....
                    but I think it probably wouldnt.

Fuzz

Comment

Super Mario Bros was decent, tho it could have used a better storyline
                      Street Fighter was ok
                      MK was good the first time, the sequel wasn't that great
                      DD was stupid
                      D&D was downright cheesy
                      Res Evil is one of those movies that left me with no clue what to think about it
                      Wing Commander was ***
                      FF was "interesting" it just seemed to miss something tho

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz[Frnz]
                        with UT2003, they'd have to make up a plot, which probably wouldn't be very good. (For UT2003 , Hollywood would probably think of something typical like "the hero, Torch, falls in love with Sapphire, but she gets kidnapped by Mr. Crow with the help of his robot army lead by Mandible and Syzygy. Torch rescues Sapphire by flak spamming the entire robot army, Sapphire falls in love with him and they live happily ever after"
                        That is EXACTLY what I would expect a UT2003 movie to come out like.

As for books, I find a few years ago a fan-fiction site which had about a half dozen UT stories written by fans - i remember they wern't that bad.

URL has been long lost so dont even ask.

Comment

All so true

The mere idea of turning UT into a book / movie puts one in the notion that it would be an industrial waste of time.

But hey, I'm a blind optimist when it comes to themes I relate to so closely.
                          That's why I had a problem telling even myself that "Yes, Revolutions was close, but not quite HOYEAH like the first one"

When I close my eyes, I see inspired author and director doing the best work possible making an excellent book and a splendid movie.

I guess I'm just 2 enthusiastic.

Comment

Originally posted by -Loric-

Super Mario Bros.
                            Street Fighter the Movie
                            Mortal Kombat
                            Double Dragon
                            Dungeons & Dragons
                            Resident Evil
                            Wing Commander

I know.... I guess I was more thinking about the old phrase.... bad books make good movies......

....you can always hope that a well done UT action movie would happen....

Comment

There is a new Final Fantasy movie coming out - Its going to be a sequal to the story in FFVII which basically set the standard for the rest of their games.

Oh yes ... and Sephiroth is coming back from the dead to be in it too

Comment

Working...
                              X