This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat Jimmy's?

What is up with VCTF? Is it dead now? Admittedly, I have been away from the community for many months but the other day I actually felt like revisiting UT2004, checked my server browser, and FJ's was empty. I've checked it often for the last week and it just remains dead, with only a few times having players like the old days. Is there a new server the old crew is playing these days? People move on finally or what?

yeah i slowly digressed from vctf too due to lack of a challenge.

Comment

yeah i slowly digressed from vctf too due to lack of a challenge
      Lack of challenge? You have to visit us. See my signature for the site.

Comment

don't get me wrong vctf is a great gametype, but after being able to score at will and pretty much not have any trouble killing other players, i made my way to more challenging gametypes.

Comment

OK, I see. You two are just blowhards that are not even willing to take a look at a heavily modded alternate game site.

If you have a change of heart though, I do challenge you on our game server. Just because you brag about being able to "score at will" doesn't make it so.

Also, since you think you're so good, put together 6 or more people and play us. We have a standing challenge that any group, clan, whatever, of 6 or more people against us on our server taking 3 out of 5 games will get a $25 donation to their server.

So put your money where your mouth is, or go over and sit in the corner and talk amongst yourselves.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Hawke, I'll check it out. And never thought I'd see the day where I could check the Q3A Plug and see FJ's empty on a normal evening. Strange days indeed.

Comment

Clearly, playing with us would be only slightly more difficult for players of your superior acumen. No doubt you would overwhelm us in no time.

If Hawke and/or Kaiser would grace us with their presence and bring 6 or more to our server I would be happy to bump in an additional $75 donation to their server coffers for a $100 3 out of 5 challenge.

I think the lack of challenge you speak of can be attributed to server setup (ie, playing 'vanilla(competitive)' all the time- diversity of mods/muts and your familiarity with them) as well as opponent capabilities as Dark implied.

Let's indeed see if it was the players who refused to improve, or if it was you who refused to play the improved players.

aK

Comment

Since Hawke is one of my heros i politely ask to watch this competition lol

Comment

Originally posted by nighty View Post
                  What is up with VCTF? Is it dead now? Admittedly, I have been away from the community for many months but the other day I actually felt like revisiting UT2004, checked my server browser, and FJ's was empty. I've checked it often for the last week and it just remains dead, with only a few times having players like the old days. Is there a new server the old crew is playing these days? People move on finally or what?
                  Yeah, it's not as populated since Ruff's server came up. I still play both though.
                  Originally posted by Hawke
                  Most of the community moved on to Ruff's server, Behind Enemy Lines.

ut2004://63.210.148.177:7777

I don't play at either very much because CTF is a better gametype. VCTF simply isn't much of a challenge anymore.
                  It is a lack of challenge. Every possible new strategy has been exhausted and most of the players refuse to improve. There's such a skill gap between players such as myself and Kaiser and the rest of the community that playing the gametype just seems pointless.
                  Yeah, he kills me left and right . It's cool though, it's all good fun. I would say I'm an average player, and though I'm not in the "competitive community" I try to play well. I used to play more, but I only play about an hour a day now, I'm pretty busy with my work. So I guess I play for fun competition, not serious. There's a little extra satisfaction when I get a kill on Hawke or Kaiser, they are that good.

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                  don't get me wrong vctf is a great gametype, but after being able to score at will and pretty much not have any trouble killing other players, i made my way to more challenging gametypes.
                  I dig the gametype too, and I find the players on those servers are often pretty good for me, so I'm cool. But I can totally understand where you're coming from, if something's too easy, where's the fun? I enjoy when you guys jump in though, I seem to get better when better people play. And it's fun to watch if we happen to be on the same team.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetTooth View Post
                    Since Hawke is one of my heros i politely ask to watch this competition lol
                    lol, I've also been playing with Hawke for a very long time (as well as Slacker) and would love to watch. Heck, I still remember the first time getting zapped by Hawke in his friggin Hellbender laser turret on Dinora. Bastige!

Unfortunately, I don't really play this game at all anymore, although occasionally I'll get the itch and want to jump on for some VCTF. It must be 3 or 4 months since the last time I played, maybe longer? I'll drop by Ruff's house though and say hello if thats where all the old crew is hanging these days.

And it looks like my friend is going to try and get another Christmas server together this year if anyone cares. I'll post it here if it goes online, it's been an INA seasonal tradition for 3 years running, might as well keep it going.

Comment

Ah I remember you Nighty..

Like Hawke said, most of the VCTF regulars play at -RuFF-'s server now (mainly in the evenings), but FatJimmy's is more active during the day. There's 12 players there now..

I personally only play VCTF right now, sometimes TAM. Not sure why that is.. maybe because I've played it almost from the beginning of my time in UT2004. I might jump to another gametype before UT2007 to keep things fresh and see if I can improve a bit more.

I've seen some improvement in quite a few players in the VCTF community in the time I've played, though there's still many who are as bad on foot as they were when I first saw them play :/ - some players who only play this gametype use vehicles as a crutch and never improve their deathmatching skills. Not trying to be mean, but names like $neaky and Alex come to mind.

Comment

Yup - it's easy to play vctf or even ONS for a long time, and then come back to find your DM skills have atrophied - hell, mine almost fell right off once!

I've noticed that vctf.com has dissapeared over the last coupla' weeks, is it related?

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim View Post
                          I've noticed that vctf.com has dissapeared over the last coupla' weeks, is it related?
                          i'm still not positive on what's going on with that, but i think it will be coming back sooner rather than later.

Comment

It is a lack of challenge. Every possible new strategy has been exhausted and most of the players refuse to improve. There's such a skill gap between players such as myself and Kaiser and the rest of the community that playing the gametype just seems pointless.

We're both members of team K1. Check my sig for the link
                            Hawke, whatever happened to you man? You didn't use to be such a d!ck...

Comment

I hope that this vCTF match is recorded. I'd like to see it :P.

Comment

Working...
                              X