UT99 Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT99 Assault

I never tried this. I just wandered if its still popular, so i know if its worth a download. It might pass a little time until UT2K4 is released Anyone know where i can get it from btw?

its popular among the people who either:

1) like the old exploits

or

2) have the common decency among clans to play it the way it was intended

on public servers i doubt its very popular. its also very different than UT2K4 AS... way different. 2K4 assault has undergone a ton of work and a massive ammount of playtesting.

but, in general, if you want to see what assault is all about, all you need is UT99. also you might want to download some of the good user maps. AS-Asthenosphere and AS-Bridge are the two biggest community maps for UT99 AS as far as i know.

www.utassault.net has clan information as well as map downloads and tips on the forums and such

Comment

AS-Ballistic is a good one too.

UT Assault wasn't as large a community as CTF's one but it was good while it lasted.

Today there are close to no AS servers available online.

About exploits: Epic never cared to fix them in 4 years. So why wouldn't players use them??

And if you expect online players to play like gentlemens, you're delusionnal. This isn't cricket. League matches were about the same. The only difference was the advantage of playing with people knowing the exploits and being able to defend against them.

Part of the fun in Assault was trying to invent new trick jumps...
      like rocket jumps in AS-Bridge or AS-Siege.

Btw, will there be rocket jumps in UT2004?

Comment

Originally posted by -Loric-
        Actually, I know of 3 well populated AS servers, I play AS all the time when I'm playing UT.

Comment

. . .

I’m not sure about the rest of the World, but Europe is very well covered by the Orange, Jolt, GameServers.net and Boomtown Assault servers. Assault is still actively played on publics, and you are right — most people who play understand about Hammer and Rocket jumping/launching.

Comment

And if you expect online players to play like gentlemens, you're delusionnal. This isn't cricket. League matches were about the same. The only difference was the advantage of playing with people knowing the exploits and being able to defend against them.
            of couse people dont play like that on public servers. but as far as i know the PROAS ladder is playing the game as it was intended (no jumps)

Btw, will there be rocket jumps in UT2004?
            not in assault. team boosting has been seriously nerfed.

you can still get to some out of the way places in assault to make your advance quicker and/or safer.

some shortcuts still exist. but there is nothing like rocket boosting your entire team onto the roof of AS-Mazon right after you spawn. exploits like that sucked for your casual online gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by willhaven
              . . . as far as i know the PROAS ladder is playing the game as it was intended (no jumps)
              It depends on the availability of a Shield-Belt.

Comment

not in assault. team boosting has been seriously nerfed.

you can still get to some out of the way places in assault to make your advance quicker and/or safer.

some shortcuts still exist. but there is nothing like rocket boosting your entire team onto the roof of AS-Mazon right after you spawn. exploits like that sucked for your casual online gamer.

what the hell

no launching!?!? :down:

Comment

on public servers i doubt its very popular. its also very different than UT2K4 AS... way different. 2K4 assault has undergone a ton of work and a massive ammount of playtesting.
                  Like what?:weird:

Comment

Originally posted by graff69
                    what the hell

no launching!?!? :down:
                    no... no launching. you actually have to fight the other team to complete objectives.

Originally posted by DarkMatrix
                    Like what?:weird:
                    like we playtest them daily and have long 2-3 hour discussions on multiple occasions to make the gametype better and better. as far as i know the original UT AS didnt have as much time and resources put into it.

Comment

no... no launching. you actually have to fight the other team to complete objectives.

oh well i guess ill have to trust you that the new assault will be fun

Comment

yeah... dont think in terms of the UT99 AS maps... apples and oranges man.

Comment

Apparently I stopped playing UT assault before the "cheese" got out of hand, because the last time that I was really into it, no one mentioned it at all. Now, bring it up casually in conversation, and three people will tell that the exploits were way out of hand, and then steal your wallet. Although that last part's sort of unrelated.

Could someone fill me in on the "cheese?" Were there just exploits in all the maps? Exploits in the physics? The structure? What makes it "cheesey?"

Comment

Originally posted by white_nite

I never tried this. I just wandered if its still popular, so i know if its worth a download. It might pass a little time until UT2K4 is released Anyone know where i can get it from btw?
                            what do you mean if its worth download?

didnt it come with the game :bulb: ?

or are you talking about maps?

or are you talking about w4r3z ?

w4r3z is bad:sour: .

Comment

Originally posted by Mejwell
                              Apparently I stopped playing UT assault before the "cheese" got out of hand, because the last time that I was really into it, no one mentioned it at all. Now, bring it up casually in conversation, and three people will tell that the exploits were way out of hand, and then steal your wallet. Although that last part's sort of unrelated.

Could someone fill me in on the "cheese?" Were there just exploits in all the maps? Exploits in the physics? The structure? What makes it "cheesey?"
                              well, first of all, if you happened to get to the end of the map, most of the time you would complete the game without any of the other objectives.

in mazon, your team could rocket you directly into the roof of their base where you could open the crystal room, destroy the crystal, and in the confusion, the chains went as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X