Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is this game so unfriendly to higher pings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magwa View Post
    it is so bad it is sickening ...lagg lagg lagg i pray they come up with a better way to make maps than static meshes..so many maps need optimizing add that to already laggy netcode it is unplayable i give up...and we here nothing from epic so Epic go to the either one of these servers and get someone with a ping between 80 and 120 to play on them and see for yourselves..
    64.37.120.76 or 216.52.148.51
    They felt fine to me, but my ping was under 60 for both of them.

I don't know if you've tried this one yet, but I play here occasionally. 64.94.35.201:5020

Comment

Thanks but it needs a password

Comment

Thanks but it needs a password
        Sorry Magwa, the last time I played there(this weekend) it didn't require a password. Maybe they're having a clan match or something. You could check back every so often to see if they open it up.

Comment

roger that

Comment

the 1 thing i cant stand are ppl who think that people who have dial-up or poor service deserve the lag. they payed for the game lik you and me. just because for whatever reason weather its money or availablity they cant get the best service shouldnt mean they cant enjoy a good internet game. im all for new net i could care less that i have cable and the guy im playing has dial up i want a good honest match not a 1-sided slaughter. also i also have cable but when playing european servers i get 100+ ping most of them too have around 80+ so i really dont care people have no excuse for bashing people who paid with their own money to play the game. the payment of the game ensures a service and its epics job to ensure that service is fullfilled. enough. not everyone is a rich b@stard who can afford the best of the best. aslong they have the recipt that they payed for the game epic should ensure that they can get the best experiance. they netcode needs improvement, or epic can expect that 2k7 sales will be alot less then they project.

Comment

Originally posted by {SM}LeadSniper View Post
              the 1 thing i cant stand are ppl who think that people who have dial-up or poor service deserve the lag. they payed for the game lik you and me. just because for whatever reason weather its money or availablity they cant get the best service shouldnt mean they cant enjoy a good internet game. im all for new net i could care less that i have cable and the guy im playing has dial up i want a good honest match not a 1-sided slaughter. also i also have cable but when playing european servers i get 100+ ping most of them too have around 80+ so i really dont care people have no excuse for bashing people who paid with their own money to play the game. the payment of the game ensures a service and its epics job to ensure that service is fullfilled. enough. not everyone is a rich b@stard who can afford the best of the best. aslong they have the recipt that they payed for the game epic should ensure that they can get the best experiance. they netcode needs improvement, or epic can expect that 2k7 sales will be alot less then they project.
              Although I agree that the netcode needs improvement, I think it is only details. If you want to see really bad netcode, buy other MP games. UT2007 will not get less sales because it hasn'T newnet:

I do NOT think that newnet will help as it has a lot of flaws. You can never completely erase ping issues, no matter what you try. Same as with general clientside hitdetection. This had been discussed a lot here, so I won't repeat it now.

And I totlly disagree with the argument "I paid for the game, I should be able to have a low ping although I cannot afford it or it isn't available". It would be like "I bought the game and should be able to play it at full settings on my 6 year old PC, because I cannot afford a new one".
              There are minimum system requirements and recommend system requirements on the box to see if you meet the recommended system specs. You simply cannot expect to run the game at highest settings when you barely meet the minimum requirements....

And last time I checked (3 minutes ago :P ) there are recommended requirements on the box for your connection too, it says "recommended: broadband connection"

Comment

i can understand that. and some people cant afford to upgrade the comp.(i know i cant. no money T.T) its just that i dont like how people say they should get a better connection if they want a better experiance. some people cant afford it or like i know on the north shore of where i live you cant. i repeat cant. get cable. i know newnet isnt the 1 all beat all solution, but atleast its better than our current netcode. dont get me wrong there are some pretty bad netcodes but ours isnt the cream of the crop eather.

EDIT: i wasnt saying that the sales will drop if they dont have newnet. im saying their sales will drop if they dont fix the problems in the netcode because people will play. hate it. and tell other it suck. then those people tell others and so on. a good 1st impression is the key to making the big money. and since epic is a company like any other making money is very important.

Comment

well i agree Epic can never erase the ping difference that is not resonable to expect BUT,isn't it funny that every game Epic has made in the UT series someone codes a newnet type mutator for it ..in UT it was zero ping in 2k4 it is newnet..so that in it self shows the need for such a mutator and it needs to be built into the game ..i do not expect to play someone in europe and have the same game as they do bUT! i do expect that games here in the states should play somewhat the same as it is now it is a total joke you got low ping you are a hitscan machine you got high ping they call you a spammer...sad sad sad...

Comment

Originally posted by {SM}LeadSniper View Post
                    i can understand that. and some people cant afford to upgrade the comp.(i know i cant. no money T.T) its just that i dont like how people say they should get a better connection if they want a better experiance. some people cant afford it or like i know on the north shore of where i live you cant. i repeat cant. get cable. i know newnet isnt the 1 all beat all solution, but atleast its better than our current netcode. dont get me wrong there are some pretty bad netcodes but ours isnt the cream of the crop eather.

EDIT: i wasnt saying that the sales will drop if they dont have newnet. im saying their sales will drop if they dont fix the problems in the netcode because people will play. hate it. and tell other it suck. then those people tell others and so on. a good 1st impression is the key to making the big money. and since epic is a company like any other making money is very important.
                    The thing is (this is a completely neutral statement, not towards or against your point, just a simple fact) when the game comes out the number of servers and players is so high that you can get a low ping game at any time and any place. So I don't think 2k7 will lose sales because of possibly bad netcode.

Comment

IMO there are two ways to address this:
                      1) Change the netcode - a technically challenging remedy else it would have been done long ago. At the end of the day, latency is latency and your distance to the server WILL impact your performance. Living in WA, I'm a big fan of newnet. But let's also face it: ut is hitscan dominant. Always was imo. (Even ut99 - once you got broadband, all you needed was the sniper rifle) But newnet basically affords "low ping" for everyone now so the dude with 20 ping to a server doesn't have the advantage he used to. The downside is that everyone now whores hitscan. But that's not the fault of newnet - that is the game! Fresh spawn - three bounces with the shock rifle and ur dead. So hopefully, ut2k7 will provide a bit more motivation to get in the face some. The truth is tho, that newnet (and TAM imo) has made alot of players get very good with hitscan.
                      2) Have more servers! This would be so much less a problem if the community was much larger and you could have your choice of servers nearby.

My hope is that ut2k7 will address both.

Comment

{Rant}Both 2k3 and 2k4 have the worst netcode i have ever seen,it is hard to play even with a 80 ping UT was not that way..why is this ? And because of this it is hitscan dependent yet even with a 80 ping in insta you lag like you are a boat anchor .WTF...and the master server is like a hour behind..common whats up with this?
                        LOL. If you want to see what bad netcode looks like go get yourself a copy of BF2.

Comment

{Rant}Both 2k3 and 2k4 have the worst netcode i have ever seen,it is hard to play even with a 80 ping UT was not that way..why is this ? And because of this it is hitscan dependent yet even with a 80 ping in insta you lag like you are a boat anchor .WTF...and the master server is like a hour behind..common whats up with this?
                          UT was not that way because everyone had dial-up then...

Comment

Originally posted by Scylla View Post
                            UT was not that way because everyone had dial-up then...
                            No everyone was not on dial up i played UT the last 18 months before 2003 came out on broadband and most of the clan also had broadband, If you live in or near a big city you had broadband,,and the problem is still the same if you live near the servers you own you live in the sticks like i do you put up with all the garbage and get tired of playing a one sided game ,and the community gets smaller because of this problem .It is in the best interests of the game to have the biggest community that it can have .The bigger the community the more servers in out of the way places NOT just DALLAS,LA< etc i ping 28 to seattle but there are no servers...so what good does it do me?

Everyone can not move to a city with servers to play a game but the game should make it's self playable no matter where you are if that means the low pingers lagg some so be it ...if i can not play on somewhat equal terms with everyone else then i am not interested in off line or single player ,so that means i am not going to buy the game .This is not the attitude we want people to have about UT...If they can build these big powerfull engines then i say it must be possible to address the latency problem... maybe not cure it but help it out alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Luseferous View Post
                              LOL. If you want to see what bad netcode looks like go get yourself a copy of BF2.
                              You do have to take into fact that BF2's netcode is different due to the fact that it holds up to 64 users to a server sometimes. When the server has that much activity, it will have a harder time with the communication if there is something capping it along the line.

Comment

well i agree Epic can never erase the ping difference that is not resonable to expect BUT,isn't it funny that every game Epic has made in the UT series someone codes a newnet type mutator for it ..in UT it was zero ping in 2k4 it is newnet..so that in it self shows the need for such a mutator and it needs to be built into the game ..i do not expect to play someone in europe and have the same game as they do bUT! i do expect that games here in the states should play somewhat the same as it is now it is a total joke you got low ping you are a hitscan machine you got high ping they call you a spammer...sad sad sad...
                                If you've played any other FPS games, then you'll know that every other game has some netcode anti-lag addons made for them. UT2004 has some pretty nice netcode, some of the best in the industry. it just doesn't hold well for packetloss. and just because it feels different from UT99 to YOU doesn't mean it's "the worst netcode in the game"

You've got to drop your prejudice against UT2004 just because it took a lot of the glory away from your fav.

Comment

Working...
                                X