Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is this game so unfriendly to higher pings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abilio_KID View Post
    Here's another example from someone that has no clue wtf he's on about. Bandwith has got nothing to do with ping. Get that in your mind once and for all. And I'm on a 8 mbps cable conn. Pitty is I have no local server (instagibs) and I have to go play in german or dutch ones.
    Btw, I do win some matches with 100 ping. We're talking about some weird "lag" when near other players, not the fact we loose because we have higher ping. But UT2004 does rely on lower pings. Like I said before I once played with 44 ping. Totally different...
    Uhh.. dial up creates network artifacts that get pushed to others with new net, do you disagree? I don't even metion ping in the post you quoted...

but yes high ping will do the same, as i say in the post before..

basically newnet attepts to make things even for everyone.. is this fair? hell no... it is insane to think that you will be able to have a server in europe and have the same expierence from a us client as a euro client. I don't get why you people always complain. If your internet connection sucks, im sorry, but your expierence will be worse than someone with a better one. It doesn't matter if it sucks because of your connection type or location. What IS annoying is people assuming everything should be exactly the same for everyone, when everyone has varying degrees of connection quality and different locations.

STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT PING gezzzuzz....

Comment

Dude, I'm playing in dutch and german servers from Portugal. I play instagibs, mostly the so called LGI because it has less shot delay. Unfortunently there are no public gibs server here. Heck, there are about 3 public servers in total, all weapons. Maybe you haven't noticed but I'm an instagiber only type of guy.
      I'm not complaining about my ping. I have from 68 to 100+ depending on the server's location, server's quality, time of day and luck. I win some (even against lower pingers) and loose some (even against higher pingers). There is however something wrong with hitscan weapons and the netcode. Like it has been said here near shots are almost impossible to higher pingers. It's not a question of aimming ahead. I even noticed sometimes that if a guy jumps or dodges I have to shot behind him instead of ahead. Very weird. Lag? Don't think so, I keep watching netstats and FPS and there's nothing wrong with it.
      You wanna see what I mean? Got a few pics:

1 - Hitting a guy with a "normal" ping, slighty lower than mine, long distance

2 - Hitting a 28 ping guy, dead on target, nothing happens (and he wasn't moving much)

3 - Now that same 28 ping guy killing me. Look where I am when he supposely hits me (I had less then 80 ping, no packet loss)

Does this seem right? You consider this lag? Weird...

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa View Post
        {Rant}Both 2k3 and 2k4 have the worst netcode i have ever seen,it is hard to play even with a 80 ping UT was not that way..why is this ? And because of this it is hitscan dependent yet even with a 80 ping in insta you lag like you are a boat anchor .WTF...and the master server is like a hour behind..common whats up with this?
        totally agree, it killed my enjoyment of insta, personally I think 2k3 -> 2k4 was a big step back in that respect. Competative insta games are normally won by the team with the most players nearer the server - its crazy. Not helped by some badly set up servers with people raising their tickrates to make the reported pings look lower, of course all this really does is make the server work harder and your shots appear instantly but thy dont actually connect, gives that lovely shoot through the opponent affect we all love so much - at least you could compensate for 'lag'

The difference is crazy at times, ive played matches where my accuracy has been 40-50% with a nice 70-80 eff, only to switch servers at half time and end up with a 10% accuracy and a 30% eff. No fun tbh. Ive stuck to ONS mostly for 2k4, I hope they sort it out in 2k7, I used to love insta ...

Comment

Yea you can play with a 200+ ping if you are used to it I did for a long time too but once you played with a 30 ping you see the big difference and wont be going back .

Anyways why all games are so ping dependant ?

I mean wouldnt it be possible like....

the server would look on your client where your crosshair and enemy was on YOUR client and if it was on the enemy it will hit regardless if you have a 30, 500 or 1000 ping ?

Dunno if you understood it :P my english isnt to good. (What I mean in short was that only your client would matter and not ping / server)

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
            This is typical garbage spewed by players who have no idea what they're talking about and dislike UTComp simply because their friends do.
            Oh, i have no problem with utcomp(god knows epics skins need it), it's just that i haven't became so reliant on its main crutch(newnet) to defend it as blindly as you do. You're the one who doesn't know what theyre talking about if you can't see the bugs in the code that it magnifies greatly. But... i guess anyone would blindly defend something that falsely inflates their hit percentage wont they?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhearted View Post
              Oh, i have no problem with utcomp(god knows epics skins need it), it's just that i haven't became so reliant on its main crutch(newnet) to defend it as blindly as you do. You're the one who doesn't know what theyre talking about if you can't see the bugs in the code that it magnifies greatly. But... i guess anyone would blindly defend something that falsely inflates their hit percentage wont they?
              hawke is the last person that needs his hit percentage falsely inflated.

newnet evens the playing field. period.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia y Vega View Post
                you are right it is not fair.

just cause some chump wont pay for cable, those who do pay get stuck with the network problems?
                You obviously have no idea what you are talking about ,it has nothing to do with paying for cable .lol i have cable 768 up 3000 down and it does not cure the a bad ping..it depends on where you live ,and where you peer to and your route to the server.now you sound like the typical low pinger you cry's newnet makes it feel like my ping is 60 boo hoo hoo...if it is the same for both players then what do you have to whine about? if instead you injoy ping raping people then bragging about how good you are then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution(notice i said if) now what would be fair is that something like newnet was built into the game then no matter where you live you can play on the same field as everyone else ,that would attrack alot more players than we have now and that is GOOD FOR THE GAME. no isult of flame intended just stating the facts.

Comment

Magwa, if you ever run for president I'll vote for you
                  Seems I'm not alone about this issue after all. Thank God...

Comment

LOL but two of us do not a tribe make .. but thanks for the support the point is that UT needs all the user friendly things it can get,if something like newnet was built into the game everyone would get used to it and it would be alot better all around for the community.

I have all but given up on playing this game at all no servers on west coast to play Insta CTF,unless you like UTcomp,multi dodge ,Low grav,and insta rifles that shoot nonstop...sorry not for me..even the RW servers run UTcomp,and then they are all about LG shock primary(hitscan) and then use the shield like a skirt and run...

So i do not post much anymore and i am not assuming anything this time around about 2007 when it is done i will look...but in the mean time i am like WTF to do ...i can play on a server and have a 80 ping and people shoot me before they are even on my screeni mean i have no chance ..TST server and N0 server only vanilla CTF i can find...oh well back to lurk mode ..peace

Comment

UT has a funcking good netcode, just compare it to many other games out there.

Hitscan dominant it is tho, if above 50ping I cannot operate well. But what can we do? Phone UN and all governments to connect optically all the countries and hang all the responsible for the rubbish circulating around slowing our connections ASAP?

Comment

Guess what, I just finished a 1 on 1 against an american guy in a german server. He had 120+ ping because of the distance, I had 120+ because of routing problems to that server. The server was also giving some packet loss spikes to both of us. You know what's funny? It was a great match (2 matches actually) despite the high ping. We both had to aim a bit ahead but the match was even, nobody had more or less "shot delay" against the opponent (was instagibs).
                        So, is UT playable with high pings? It surely is but nobody had any advantage caused by the higher pinger having his shots go trough. This is the biggest problem we're talking here. Yes, a guy with ping below 50 will dominate anyone in a hitscan match (aka instagibs). For example, last night I found a local guy hosting a gibs server. I had 28 ping against his 0 ping. It's a whole new thing, I never experienced before (low ping, lol).

Comment

Well, the NewNet seam cool... Work fine with me.
                          (Also called Unlagged, or TimeTravel...)

Comment

Netcode still needs to be improved, the current version works fine but it's not enough in my opinion, I play in american servers, of course I have high ping and lag, the fact is that I never gonna learn how to play with the annoying lag

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                              This is typical garbage spewed by players who have no idea what they're talking about and dislike UTComp simply because their friends do.
                              Your avatar is really neat :]

Comment

it is so bad it is sickening ...lagg lagg lagg i pray they come up with a better way to make maps than static meshes..so many maps need optimizing add that to already laggy netcode it is unplayable i give up...and we here nothing from epic so Epic go to the either one of these servers and get someone with a ping between 80 and 120 to play on them and see for yourselves..
                                64.37.120.76 or 216.52.148.51

Comment

Working...
                                X