Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is this game so unfriendly to higher pings?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Hawke i wish i could get people to put it on their server better yet i wish epic would incorperate it into the game or something like it ..

    can anyone list some servers that run it?? i would love to see the difference..

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Magwa View Post
      that is the truth Abilio...and if someone can play Onslaught at 180 ok but if he plays against a whole team of 24 pingers he will get his butt handed to him in a basket..because the hitscan weapons in this game are for some reason dominant..and people with low pings rule like it believe it or not it is the truth..BUT the biggest problem is when in close you start missing by a huge amount i can stick a gun in a guys face and miss by 3 feet with no packetloss and a 100 ping but the same guys stick the gun in my face with a 24 ping and boom ...so something is whacked in the code...

      Just because you're close that doesn't negate the need to lead your target. I played on 56k for over 2 years. My ping was always over 200, but I did well enough. With high ping you need to keep distance between you and your opponant. I was always most successful at medium-long range using hitscan weapons. Up close with flak or rox I had a better chance of fragging myself . The problem is that things go by too quickly in close combat, and it's nearly impossible to get the correct lead. I'd suggest using creative retreat to gain distance, and set up for surprise attacks. That's the best thing you can do when your ping is high.

      Comment


        #18
        I'd say it all just depends on what you feel comfortable doing with a certain amount of ping. I prefer close to far, but you prefer far to close. People are different.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Zoë(Co30) View Post
          Just because you're close that doesn't negate the need to lead your target. I played on 56k for over 2 years. My ping was always over 200, but I did well enough. With high ping you need to keep distance between you and your opponant. I was always most successful at medium-long range using hitscan weapons. Up close with flak or rox I had a better chance of fragging myself . The problem is that things go by too quickly in close combat, and it's nearly impossible to get the correct lead. I'd suggest using creative retreat to gain distance, and set up for surprise attacks. That's the best thing you can do when your ping is high.
          you did not state which game you played but i am going to assume you player UT99 on dialup as i did as well try ut 2k4 on dialup...that is a joke and exactly my point ut was more friendly to higher pings..

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Magwa View Post
            you did not state which game you played but i am going to assume you player UT99 on dialup as i did as well try ut 2k4 on dialup...that is a joke and exactly my point ut was more friendly to higher pings..
            UT2k4 was my first and only game I've played online. I played on 56k from release to about 3 months ago when I got cable.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Hawke View Post
              that's why most people play with newnet

              its not perfect, but it helps a lot
              If by "help" you mean lets your shots you saw miss your oppenent by ten feet hit... then yes, it does that.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Blackhearted View Post
                If by "help" you mean lets your shots you saw miss your oppenent by ten feet hit... then yes, it does that.
                how often does that happen?

                newnet will always be better than no newnet (excluding lans) because it evens the playing field.

                Comment


                  #23
                  i like how newnet transfers the network artifacts from high ping players to low ping players..

                  20 ping vs 100 ping? now your 20 ping is feels like 60 with packet loss! yay!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    You mean 20 and 100 ping will both feel like 60? Awww, that's not fair at all...

                    Comment


                      #25
                      you are right it is not fair.

                      just cause some chump wont pay for cable, those who do pay get stuck with the network problems?

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                        how often does that happen?

                        newnet will always be better than no newnet (excluding lans) because it evens the playing field.
                        If you actually pay attention while you play with your "beloved" newnet, then turn it off and watch some more, Youll see exactly what i mean 10x more often with newnet.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          When I was on 56k I blamed no one for my game but myself. Ping difference is just an excuse. If you've been playing awhile it isn't hard to adjust your game to high ping. I never felt like I was being taken advantage of by low ping players. If someone else won, they won because they were the better player. I like UT2k4s netcode fine the way it is. Any attempts to "fix" it only booger up the system. If left at stock then you know what to expect from server to server. Otherwise it would be a different play experience everytime you logged on.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Blackhearted View Post
                            If you actually pay attention while you play with your "beloved" newnet, then turn it off and watch some more, Youll see exactly what i mean 10x more often with newnet.
                            I've played more on non-newnet server than newnet servers. Playing with a 80 ping on a non newnet server against half decent players with a ping < 40 is a joke. I dont get any satisfaction out of killing players whose pings are 40 ms greater than mine. Even if newnet is not always perfect, it evens the playing field between high and low pings.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Blackhearted View Post
                              If by "help" you mean lets your shots you saw miss your oppenent by ten feet hit... then yes, it does that.
                              This is typical garbage spewed by players who have no idea what they're talking about and dislike UTComp simply because their friends do.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Garcia y Vega View Post
                                you are right it is not fair.
                                just cause some chump wont pay for cable, those who do pay get stuck with the network problems?
                                Here's another example from someone that has no clue wtf he's on about. Bandwith has got nothing to do with ping. Get that in your mind once and for all. And I'm on a 8 mbps cable conn. Pitty is I have no local server (instagibs) and I have to go play in german or dutch ones.
                                Btw, I do win some matches with 100 ping. We're talking about some weird "lag" when near other players, not the fact we loose because we have higher ping. But UT2004 does rely on lower pings. Like I said before I once played with 44 ping. Totally different...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X