Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is this game so unfriendly to higher pings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is this game so unfriendly to higher pings?

{Rant}Both 2k3 and 2k4 have the worst netcode i have ever seen,it is hard to play even with a 80 ping UT was not that way..why is this ? And because of this it is hitscan dependent yet even with a 80 ping in insta you lag like you are a boat anchor .WTF...and the master server is like a hour behind..common whats up with this?

Well, I am an american and play with a euro clan, with around 104 ping and do quite fine. It's probably because I train with it Although, rapid ping fluctuation does tend to mess me up. Yes, the ping difference is more noticable in UT2004 than other games, but just cope with it.

Comment

get used to a certain ping and stick with it (unless you can play with newnet). I play extremeley well on LA servers (30-40 ping) But once i get above ~60 ping w/out newnet i'm useless

Comment

That is exactly what i am talking about i too can play well on west coast servers 40 t0 50 ping(but i can not find ONE freeking vanilla ICTF server on the west coast) anyway so i play dallas and chicago servers and ping between 84 and 104 and with those pings straight shots are no problem but if i or my opponet is moving side to side the shot lag is so bad i end up being 2 shopts behind trying to figure out where to shoot,and since most of them have 20 to 40 ping they shoot me before i even see them almost....Insta is Insta why is it so different from UT to 2k4...drives me nuts...

Comment

there havent been any decent west coast vanilla iCTF servers ever afaik, whenever i played ictf i just had to take a couple maps to get used to the ping and lead my shots a bit.

Comment

How many vanilla iCTF servers are in the US total? like 2? what others are there besides no and tst?

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia y Vega View Post
              How many vanilla iCTF servers are in the US total? like 2? what others are there besides no and tst?
              you speak the truth

Comment

sad but that is the truth..wierd cause ut 99 had tons of vanilla Ictf servers..

Comment

Probably because people don't F&%King stay still in this game, aiming will be tough with lan like conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa View Post
                    {Rant}Both 2k3 and 2k4 have the worst netcode i have ever seen,it
                    Haha, i can see you have never ever met any game running on the SAGE engine, like Generals. The lag is so hard it becomes impossible to play, literally. You get maybe 2fps as a result. Thats not to mention the random mismatch errors, if absolutely anything goes wrong there is zero tolerance for errors and it kicks everyone out of the game, even if its only 1 person.

Back on topic, i can play ONS at 200-260 ping, so i don't know why your complaining. The only server i ping to under 100 has never had a player in it, the lowest i can get is 150 ping, and thats a demo.. Every host in the southern pacific thinks that people still want to play on demo servers for some retarded reason, the lowest i can ping to a proper server is 180 and that runs torlan constantly.

Comment

I some times play uk servers for fun ( i am us) I ping ~120 to titan servers and while there is some adjustment and concentration needed, I can still shoot 20-30% with shock and lg. Its all about knowing your ping and how far you need to lead to hit. When I play chicago servers ( i ping ~20 to those) my aim starts to feel lan-like (almost ;p) ...

Comment

We are talking about instagibs here. Also I have no problem doing a headshot to a guy the other side of the map with me having 100 ping and the guy 20, even if he moves. The problem is the closer he is to me the more I feel unsynched with the game, just like Magwa described with lateral moves...

Comment

that is the truth Abilio...and if someone can play Onslaught at 180 ok but if he plays against a whole team of 24 pingers he will get his butt handed to him in a basket..because the hitscan weapons in this game are for some reason dominant..and people with low pings rule like it believe it or not it is the truth..BUT the biggest problem is when in close you start missing by a huge amount i can stick a gun in a guys face and miss by 3 feet with no packetloss and a 100 ping but the same guys stick the gun in my face with a 24 ping and boom ...so something is whacked in the code...

PS.. it seems to be even worse when Anti TCC ,or UTcomp ,or Tam(not knocking any of the 3 mutators and it could be the way it is set up on the server but if it is not just install and work correctly server admins will never have it setup the same) is also running ...it is hard to understand when there are only two vanilla CTF insta servers in the US in 2k4 yet there were a hundred in UT with zero ping..even if you hated zero ping you have to admit it evened the playing field and attracted players.

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa View Post
                            ...the biggest problem is when in close you start missing by a huge amount i can stick a gun in a guys face and miss by 3 feet with no packetloss and a 100 ping but the same guys stick the gun in my face with a 24 ping and boom...
                            Exactly my point. Even had a discussion about it with a brit guy (he had 24 ping and I had 80).

Comment

that's why most people play with newnet

its not perfect, but it helps a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X