Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for shooting down mantas in a Goliath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for shooting down mantas in a Goliath?

Everytime I'm in a Goliath, I always find it difficult to kill the manta pilots who are circling me (Like 10% success). Do you guys have any tips?

If you can, use the splash damage of the goliath to aim at the ground in front of the manta, if you're lucky, it'll be dead before it gets close.

When it's circling you, you can speed up your turret's rotation by also rotating your tank (your strafe keys), this gets you faster turning times for your gun. Also try doing this while moving forward, this somehow makes it a little easier to place your shot, and also works well against players flaking your tank from behind.

You can also bail out ready with an avril...

Comment

blow it up

Comment

Patience! Dont feel pressurised into shooting when you arent going to get the kill, the pilot will use the long load time between shots to touch down and get in the air again.

You can always get a manta, but it takes a few moments to work out the pilots pattern, and some anticipation to ensure you are facing the right way at the right time cos that manta has to touch down eventually. Just wait until it lands in a spot where you can hit it, then and only then take your shot. The manta will prob take some health off ya but it wont be fatal.

Had to do a bit of this yesterday when some nasty manta pilots decided to try halt my Wick Sick attempt .

Comment

When it's moving at full speed, it's hard to hit. Wait for it to get to an almost full stop and shoot your shell at the ground under it.

Comment

As said, it won't stay in the air forever. As it lands, see where it's going to be and fire at the floor. Firing to the side should knock him/her off course, and with any luck it'll give you an opportunity to either finish it off by firing a straight shot at them, or close to the ground near them.
            Also, make use of the tanks secondary weapon. If possible, call in for someone to hop in and fire at the manta. While it's occupied with the machine gun fire, you'll be able to fire at it as well rendering it useless as it takes fire from both flanks.

Comment

Originally posted by xcept View Post
              Everytime I'm in a Goliath, I always find it difficult to kill the manta pilots who are circling me (Like 10% success). Do you guys have any tips?
              If a manta manages to get to near and starts circling me, i usually hop into the 2nd turret, after about 5 seconds of this, they usually give up or face a certain death.

There's no point in trying to battle them with your main gun, by the time you've hit them you would have taken quite a bit of damage.

If you've got a gunner and a manta tries it, then hop out of the tank and deal with the manta whilst your gunner is still firing on it. It'll be dead in no time.

With players on foot you can run them over, but if they are experienced players chances are this wont work, so again hop out of your tank and deal with them, don't hop out if you aint got a gunner though!!

Comment

if you cant kill a manta quickly with a tank's main turret then you shouldnt be in a tank

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                  blow it up
                  Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
                  if you cant kill a manta quickly with a tank's main turret then you shouldnt be in a tank
                  You know, you could be a lot more useful that you are currently being....

I usually switch to the minigun, and if your on a good team someone else should have already noticed and have fired an avril at it, which distracts them, and possibly kills them. If it doesnt, they are no longer looking and you can hit them with the main gun.
                  Another way is to use the mini until it lines up with you main gun, quickly switch and fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Shagwell View Post
                    [...] i usually hop into the 2nd turret [...]
                    how do you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by HazyNRG View Post
                      how do you do that?
                      use your assault rifle bind

Comment

http://www.onscentral.com/modules.ph...viewtopic&t=37

read that. im probably the most well known tank ***** in the NA competitive ONS community and i wrote up a a few things some time ago. One thing not in there is this: you cant hit a manta dead on with a tank shell. there is some weird bug with UT that a tank shell to the nose (or maybe it is the side i honestly forget) of a manta will not register.

also know the speeed of the tank turret. if you turn the body of the tank in the direction the turret turns your turret will move faster. if you turn the body of the tnak the opposite direction of the turret the turret will move slower. so rotating the body of the tank is useful. it also can screw with the enemies mind because they tend to think the front of the tank is where the turret always faces so they try to stay away from it as opposed to constantly tracking the turret.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetTooth View Post
                          read that. im probably the most well known tank ***** in the NA competitive ONS community and i wrote up a a few things some time ago.
                          aha

ahahaha

BAHHHAHHAHAHHAHHHASKJDHSAKJFHLKJDAHLFKJBSDKJFBLKJS DHLFKJSDLKJFNSKDJFBLSKDFBSDFHSKDHFDS

brb i think i just wet myself

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                            aha

ahahaha

BAHHHAHHAHAHHAHHHASKJDHSAKJFHLKJDAHLFKJBSDKJFBLKJS DHLFKJSDLKJFNSKDJFBLSKDFBSDFHSKDHFDS

lolhahalol

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                              aha

ahahaha

as much of an *** as you can be sometime hawke you are still my hero <3 lol

Comment

Working...
                              X