Wall-dodging/dodging... purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall-dodging/dodging... purpose?

Ok this may just need to be explained to me but I was curious as to why people would actually feel the need to use wall dodges and dodges. Double jumping I understand, that helps traverse some of the deathmatch maps easier.

But why tap A or D twice just to do the same thing a sideways jump does? That applies for double-dodge-jumps too. And I'm not sure what the application of a wall dodge would be... it practically puts you back to the same spot you were before jumping.

Maybe I just don't see it, thats why I'm asking. Could help me to understand it.

EDIT: adding in that the main reason I ask is b/c some of those things seem to get complaints on here.

Um it does'nt do the same thing as a jump.You can end up moving with alot of grace if you master all the movement tequniques, then you become hard to predict, thus hard to hit.

Comment

sideways jumps are slow
      dodges are fast

Comment

how the hell do you wall dodge?

Comment

Ok I kinda get that... but what about wall jumps? So you jumped out of the way of a rocket, what would be the purpose at that point for bouncing off the wall?

Comment

Originally posted by TortiseTank MK6
            I actually had to test this a bit to get it right. If you say jump to the right against a wall, you'd tap the strafe left key (dodge left) and you will propel yourself off the wall to the left. Using the dodge to get to the wall wont let you bounce off it tho, it has to be a normal jump.

Comment

Originally posted by TortiseTank MK6
              double-tap the direction opposite the wall you are adjacent to

Comment

Originally posted by EvilKamui
                Ok I kinda get that... but what about wall jumps? So you jumped out of the way of a rocket, what would be the purpose at that point for bouncing off the wall?
                It makes you harder to hit. I usualy use wall dodges to get out of tight spots. Like if I'm cornered or need to get out of a dead in without getting killed. It's best to use it when people don't expect it.

Comment

I was not sold on the wall-jumping thing but had to adapt quickly as my clanmate {SAP}Silent would make away with the flag by bouncing swiftly from buidling to building.

I've got it more down now and actually find it alot of fun. It may not be for everyone but it certainly is interesting.

It is wholly different than double-jumping, etc.

Essentially hit any flat surface and double-click the opposite direction. Greater movement can be achieved by finding the ambit of the wall-dodge function, eg optimizing your forward bounce motion..

We would be happy to instruct (teamspeak helps) if you find any of us online on our server, which has this mod, although it is not that complex once you get it.

aK

Comment

I mainly use wall dodges for movement purposes. If you're going from an upper level to a lower level area (and have some room to move) You can dodge jump towards a wall then dodge off the wall. That will boost you quite a way. There's an AS map that doing that drops you right on the objective without having to fight through the crowd to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilKamui
                      Ok this may just need to be explained to me but I was curious as to why people would actually feel the need to use wall dodges and dodges. Double jumping I understand, that helps traverse some of the deathmatch maps easier.

But why tap A or D twice just to do the same thing a sideways jump does? That applies for double-dodge-jumps too. And I'm not sure what the application of a wall dodge would be... it practically puts you back to the same spot you were before jumping.

Maybe I just don't see it, thats why I'm asking. Could help me to understand it.

EDIT: adding in that the main reason I ask is b/c some of those things seem to get complaints on here.
                      The reason it's there is so that when you accidentally hit a movement button twice, it makes you dodge off of a cliff to your death.

but seriously, hit jump right after a dodge and you'll see why.

Comment

I noticed a few maps like Grendel(Grendal? Grendle?) Keep on the upper levels you cant dodge-jump across the elevator shafts, where as if you double hump at an angle against the wall, then wall-dodge you can make it across the shaft. Maybe for this reason? :shrug:

+ you can lure people into following you and when they think they've got you corner you jump up the wall and wall-dodge back over them.

Comment

It helps with movement around maps and if you use it with a shield you fly across the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddragon
                            It makes you harder to hit. I usualy use wall dodges to get out of tight spots. Like if I'm cornered or need to get out of a dead in without getting killed. It's best to use it when people don't expect it.
                            What about normal dodge jump?
                            --
                            I don't often do wall-dodge-jump except that I need to go somewhere high because during common moving on the flat ground, I don't find wall-dodge-jumping more advantageous than dodge jumping. The distance doesn't make difference and only when I hit the wall by moving mistakenly will I wall-dodge-jump to reclaim my direction.

I'm not used to wall-dodge-jump during battle because I can only focus on the enemy and the attacks. How do you know there's a wall close enough for you to wall-dodge-jump?
                            Also sometimes I'd like to wall-dodge-jump but often when I jump toward a wall, due to the direction of my facing the wall, I am not sure whether to double tap strafe buttons or forward/backward buttons right and thus fall straightly against the wall.
                            The fight is often cluttered up and I find it hard to pay attention to wall-dodge-jumping

Comment

Since it would be easier to show than to explain the use of dodges, you may want to check out the demos featured here: http://www.unrealnorth.com/demos.php...le=475&correct

Dodges are used for a multitude of things: fast movement, unpredictable movement and evasion, and moving to places unreachable by simple jumps. But, some players fall into the trap of using constant dodges at inappropriate times which also is not a good idea. It's worth signing up to UN to check out those demos, I think they may be useful for some people

»d«HarkeN
                              divine

Comment

Working...
                              X