Epic Community ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Community ladder

What if UT2007 will come with its own seperate online gaming community like clanbase. They could fuse it easily ingame and make the Tournament/multiplayer concept even more fun. I think it would add alot more value to the game 2. UT2004 reached its peak after a couple of months, then the activity already started to drop. If the creators decide to create a game for a community they should do something to accually create and maintain a community imo. I hardly belief the concept of this game was to play against bots. I appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing in creating games but please invest some creativity and dedication in a place where gamers can meet and challenge eachother in a competitive manner.

Originally posted by Lorenicus
    I hardly belief the concept of this game was to play against bots.
    hehe, that is true.

edit: holy smoke, got my posts and join date. Good stuff guys.

Comment

OT ..I went from 31 to 902 ..not bad for 1 day posting.

Comment

Originally posted by »madMar†y»
        OT ..I went from 31 to 902 ..not bad for 1 day posting.
        WTF...

EDIT:

HEHEHE I think they moved Epic forums counts to the utforums.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz
          WTF...

EDIT:

Nope, it was the atari forums.
          Back on topic:

It would be a good idea. +1.

Comment

I like the idea. Even better would be two versions. The standard version, like the OP describes, will come free with the game. The premium version, which could have an annual cost of maybe $25 USD or so, can have added options such as advanced ladder and tournament scheduling, live scoreboards for matches currently in progess (this could actually be included in the base version), and an honest to goodness actual working Unreal TV service in which the viewer can "surf" the channels to view different matches occuring simulataneously. Of course, you can't view multiple matches at the same time, but if they are running concurently, you should be able to switch the channel, so to speak. As for the live scoreboard, a great many clan sites and gaming sites offer some sort of scorebard now.

Sound familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz
              WTF...

EDIT:

Test post for post counts.
              It worked! Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale
                I like the idea. Even better would be two versions. The standard version, like the OP describes, will come free with the game. The premium version, which could have an annual cost of maybe $25 USD or so, can have added options such as advanced ladder and tournament scheduling, live scoreboards for matches currently in progess (this could actually be included in the base version), and an honest to goodness actual working Unreal TV service in which the viewer can "surf" the channels to view different matches occuring simulataneously. Of course, you can't view multiple matches at the same time, but if they are running concurently, you should be able to switch the channel, so to speak. As for the live scoreboard, a great many clan sites and gaming sites offer some sort of scorebard now.

Sound familiar?
                I would definately not pay for what I can get by idling in an IRC channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke
                  I would definately not pay for what I can get by idling in an IRC channel.
                  Not everyone wants to use IRC. Besides, the service can provide a searchable database so you wouldn't have to sift through a bunch of webpages to find what you're looking for.

The real beauty of this, in case you missed the OP, is that the functions can be utilized in the game browser. Can you do THAT in IRC?

Besides, you are complaining about spending a mere pittance of the cost of owning a computer that can even run UT2007?

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale
                    The real beauty of this, in case you missed the OP, is that the functions can be utilized in the game browser. Can you do THAT in IRC?
                    None of that seems like it's worth paying for.

1. I see upcoming event on forums
                    2. I get on IRC at announced times
                    3. I copy UTV IP and open in UT

Why pay 25 bucks so I can open it on the browser instead of copying and pasting?

Comment

I never said YOU have to. But there are a lot of us that do not use IRC and would prefer to have something a bit more user friendly than having to use multiple programs. Heck, if you want to get that technical about it, all of these options are pretty much available now, but not all wrapped in up in one package.

After all, I do believe the intent is to build up the community. What better way to improve the skill health of the overall community than to provide a UTV browser right in the game that allows newbies to view matches and watch how the skilled players work. You forget that you too were a newb at one time. Were you able to do everything you can now when you first got on the web and played games? I doubt it.

I do understand your sentiment, but consider how these tools built into the game can benefit a greater community than what we have now. Also considering the fact than most gamers buy about 2 games a month (according to an article I read recently) $25 a year is nothing. As for whether it is worth it to buy the premium service, that will be up to each player based upon his or her needs. Besides, at least it isn't like those darned MMORPGs that cost you at least $120 per year on top of the high cost of the game.

Comment

Paying for it will just ruin the whole idea of gathering an active motivated community. Theyre will always be a big part of the community that doesnt want to pay for something they can get for free, maybe in less quality but Im quite sure it will be more active than the paying one since a much bigger group of people can be adressed to.
                        What might work is to install a premium ladder/tournament. Players will have to invest a small fee in this ladder/tournament and in the end the first place gets some kind of prize.

Now what will be so costly about the whole idea for epic that I can think of:
                        The webserver.
                        Paying supervisors.
                        Gameservers for the premium ladder/tournaments.
                        The paying supervisors thing might come out to be quit an risky investment, but a webserver, epics unreal 3 engine is the most demanded engine these days, look at the companys website, you can see the biggest companies getting a license for it. I hardly belief they would give it away for a low buck

Comment

Lorenicus,it's like I said, you only have to pay for the premium services. The standard options will be just limited versions of the premium ones, maybe. Comnsidering that most gamers buy several games a year, plus all the equipment upgrades to play those games, a measly $25 per year is a mere pittance, a drop in the bucket. That kind of brings in to make a counterpoint to your idea, not that it is a bad one, but I don't think Epic quite wants to go the way of companies such as Sony. Sure, there are a great number of gamers who will and do pay $10-15 USD per month to play such games as Planetside, Everquest and WoW. Those communities are huge. But, does Epic want to get THAT involved, and does the community want the developer to involved in the game that much, thus dramatically raising the total cost of ownership of a single FPS?

Comment

Considering that a lot of UT2004 players are too cheap to pay $15-$20 USD for the full game (source: demo servers), I don't think there's gonna be a lot of players who will spend more money for a gaming service. It may have worked for xbox live, but console gamers need such a service, while PC gamers have, as Hawke said, IRC and real webbrowsers.

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost
                              Considering that a lot of UT2004 players are too cheap to pay $15-$20 USD for the full game (source: demo servers), I don't think there's gonna be a lot of players who will spend more money for a gaming service. It may have worked for xbox live, but console gamers need such a service, while PC gamers have, as Hawke said, IRC and real webbrowsers.
                              True, for the most part, which defeats having the possibility of expanding the UT community. But, if Epic were to only run the demo servers for a short time after release of the game, the funding that would have otherwise been spent on keeping the demo servers alive could be filtered over for the other purpose. Maybe this could preclude any charges being stuck on the player.

Tbh, the game browser info and database could be mirrored onto Epic's website as well. That way, gamers wouldn't even need to open the game to get the latest tourney and ladder scoops.

As for IRC, I for one do not really care for it. I am not alone by a long shot. While there are a large number of gamers who do use IRC (mostly hardcore or at least regular gamers), there is probably an even larger number that doesn't. Remember, this isn't just about those of us who are already members of the UT world, but it should be designed to attract new members. Most of your casual gamers do not use IRC. But, if they had those tools all rolled up into the game where they could go nd view matches, etc, they might be compelled to play online more often and maybe even join up with a clan or otherwise signup for ladders.

It's just an idea, and I highly doubt Epic will want to pick up on it this late in the developmewnt of UT2007. But, there is always a slim chance of it being added in a patch.

Comment

Working...
                              X