Spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiders

Since there lots of ppl who don't like spiders in UT2004, I just wonder if it wouldn't be better if they would not be included in UT2007. I voted: I wouldn't mind if they where included and just wan't to know what the majority would vote.

Where is the poll?

edit: there we go I voted Onslaught only

Comment

I'm trying to find out

Edit: Ah there it is.

Comment

I would like to seem them go at all, even in ONS.

I usually do not get killed by them, but I really would prefer people to use one of the other weapons, as they distract from a good firefight. Shouldn't be a problem in UT2007 as it is said it is easier to kill people (even for new players) in UT2007.

Comment

Dump 'em
          Not necessary.

Comment

The first game I specced after replying in this thread.

All what people were doing: Placing Spidermines into Teleport exits... ...I mean, shield camping the portal with it's autofire is bad enough. With them dumb Spidermines they can camp the teleporters and go back to battle themselves.

Baaaaad design.

Comment

Where is the "You bet!" option?

Comment

They can be used in a number of cheap tactics (such as the previously mentioned tele camping) and don't even really follow the game's combat style. Besides, almost any weapon that does the work for you is a bad idea. Toss em.

Comment

I'd rather have spiders in ONS than the Shombo in DM-style gametypes

Comment

Spiders are fine. They use something like novice bot movement AI. The only way to die to spider mines on foot is to be taken from behind or in the chaos fighting multiple enemies. Camping teleporters with mines isn't a real issue, you can evade the mines. The reason shield camping teleporters is illegal is because you can't avoid it (if they place themselves to catch those who jump as they go).

The only stock map with a spider mine issue is Primeval and only because the base locker has them in stupid numbers (not counting the infinite spider mine exploit. Was that ever fixed actually?). But then again Primeval has so many issues: shooting through trees, a tank at the centre node, asymmetry worse than any other map (especially bender/tank placement and manta tree-hopping. I blame Lao for revealing this to too many people.), etc...

I think they are useful in choke points and against tanks. Fire and forget mines are a good idea in a vehicular gametype, and immobile ones would be less powerful unless (they could bury into the ground).

However, for retarded statements about spider mines, see my sig.

Comment

Onslaught and VCTF only BUT obly if they cut in half the number of spiders you can deploy 4 at the most.if they do not do that then dump them all together.

Comment

I wouldn't mind if some maps had spiders to go with the spider webs, but it may be a bit overkill detail wise. Definitly should be able to turn that off by setting anything but World Detail: Extreme.

Oh... you meant spidermines?

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing them go. Maybe only in ONS, but with the decrease in movement in UT2K7 it will be even harder to avoid them. I say leave 'em out.

Comment

What I don't like about them is that they will follow you until they die. I'd rather see them become location based. Drop them in a spot and they guard it, never running off too far from there, and returning there if they're still intact. If you want to chase opponents down with spiders you should have to guide them manually with the secondary fire. They could also be programmed to not camp teleporters. Even to the point where if a player drops one too close to a teleporter, it will automatically detonate.

Comment

Originally posted by SleightOfHand
                              with the decrease in movement in UT2K7 it will be even harder to avoid them.
                              Whoa, you must have played the ultra-sekret private UT2007 demo!!oneone

How else could you know?

Seriously, I expect Epic to revise all movement based aspects, including Manta maneuverability, flagrun time, powerup placement and, yes, spidermine speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X