Listen Server Issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen Server Issue!

Hi. I just wanted to know, what exactly is a listen server (most of them are called "ut2004"). Furthermore, I am never able to join them for some reason. why is this happening?

A listen server is a server through the game itself rather than by a full computer.

Basically, this amounts to it being a totally idiotic, unreliable, high-ping, totally pointless and probably inactive server that was started by some total moron that just refuses to click on the nice big "Dedicated" button in the Host Game menu. Avoid at all costs.

Comment

Originally posted by AL777
      A listen server is a server through the game itself rather than by a full computer.

Basically, this amounts to it being a totally idiotic, unreliable, high-ping, totally pointless and probably inactive server that was started by some total moron that just refuses to click on the nice big "Dedicated" button in the Host Game menu. Avoid at all costs.
      Yeah, more insult please I want more.

Listened server are for friend match and stuff, with people your close enough to play on a listen server but not on a LAN. Otherwise they may want to make a server anyway but they WANT TO PLAY, and they don't have another computers.

Don't go around and call people moron only because they made a server which may not suit your requirements, if you hate this server that much you can avoid them, no need to call their makers "moron".

Comment

Was merely some light hearted bashing

Maybe you know something I don't, yet I have absolutely never seen any even remotely plausible reason for using a Listen server over a Dedicated.

Comment

yeh, some people say its better to host a dedicated on the same machine you play on as opposed to a listen server. Both of these situations occur when someone just can't run the server on a seperate machine. Gaming servers are real sensitive to how much cpu load is running. If it hits 100%, then gets ultra-mega laggy. Starts showing blemishes beyond 80% or so.

You probably can't join the listen server due to firewall or router problems. N/A ping being a dead giveaway of that.

Comment

Ok, so to my understanding, listen servers are ****. Okay, I'll stick to playing the way I always have, on dedicates servers (without the ear icon).

Comment

A plausible reason to make a listen server. You want to host a game a friend can join, and you don't have a dedicated server to use. I'm sure as heck not going to run two instances of UT2k4 just so I can have a dedicated server running. IIRC the last time I tried that for experimental purposes it didn't even work for some reason.

I certainly wouldn't host a 16-player ONS map with it, but to let a couple friends join from elsewhere? Why not?

Comment

if you want to start a dedicated server properly learn to use the ucc commandline.

Comment

Originally posted by AL777
                  ..totally idiotic, unreliable, high-ping, totally pointless and probably inactive server that was started by some total moron that...
                  You have a PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X