Mirrors in maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirrors in maps

With the new engine will we be able to render proper reflective surfaces in maps? That could have interesting tactical and visual ramifications.

In places, mirrors could be placed such that you can see part of you enemy but they wouldn't be able to see you, or the converse.

You would be able to shoot around corners with (photon) hitscan weapons by aiming at the opponent in the mirror. I can imagine some amazing kills like that, especially if you were able to perform a shock combo through a mirror.

Since it's possible in this game, no doubt it'll be even moreso in UT2k7 with a full-fledged shader system.

Comment

In UT"99" there is a map (I don't remember the name) with a mirror angled down a hallway. You could get the ripper and aim it for headshots in the mirror. They would bounce perfectly and hit wehe you aimed them in the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo 3.0
        Since it's possible in this game, no doubt it'll be even moreso in UT2k7 with a full-fledged shader system.

It is? I thought - from the looks of Dm-Morpheus - 'reflective' windows were just fudged with greyscale textures and dynamic texture mapping.

What maps have real reflection?

Comment

No stock maps use it, but the feature is there.

Comment

Some original UT maps had a reflective surface, particularly the opening map. And although I don't think you saw anyone else's reflection it was really cool. I wish that effect was in more maps back then.

Comment

If there is a mirror will I be able to hang my bare **** up to my monitor and see it in the mirror???

:weird:

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron
                Some original UT maps had a reflective surface, particularly the opening map. And although I don't think you saw anyone else's reflection it was really cool. I wish that effect was in more maps back then.
                i think you mean unreal 1 with openning map
                iirc you could see everything trough it, from yourself, pickups and enemies

Comment

Remember Hall of mirrors Tarnation?

*shudders

Comment

there were mirrors in ut99. It was a assault map, forget the name.

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                      Remember Hall of mirrors Tarnation?

*shudders
                      LOL, how could anyone forget that map.
                      I think I would try to headshot myself as much as the opponent. :haha:

Comment

Originally posted by tarnationsauce2
                        In UT"99" there is a map (I don't remember the name) with a mirror angled down a hallway. You could get the ripper and aim it for headshots in the mirror. They would bounce perfectly and hit wehe you aimed them in the mirror.
                        I was just thinking about that. It was a simple map also with some laser things if you got to close you where toast. UT had some innovative fun maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear hazard
                          i think you mean unreal 1 with openning map
                          iirc you could see everything trough it, from yourself, pickups and enemies
                          Hmm maybe so. I am trying to remember if I could see others in the reflections. Been a long time since I did Unreal coop.

Comment

cube of mirrors redeemer arena- avg fps 5.2 on the best systems.

Comment

I remember an assualt map in ut 99 which had mirrors in the defeneders spawn points. ( AS-Highspeed or something, it was the train. Totally forgotten the name) you can see yourself in there, never got to see enemies in there though, they died wayyy before they got that close

Comment

Working...
                              X