No announcement yet.

X-Fi Sound card questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As always, do your research: http://www.creative.com/products/com...mparechart.asp

The main difference between the X-Fi line of cards (aside from the internal/external I/O console, and software bundles) is the X-RAM, which I'm assuming is what will give you the *noticeable* performance benefits. Only the Elite Pro and Fatal1ty models have the 64M of X-RAM (of course, these 2 models come at a price). The other cards will sound just as good, but might not have any impact on game performance/benchmarks.

Comment

The "improvement" is neglible at best. The sound card can do all the calculations it wants... the information still has to be fed back along the bus, and the pipe just isn't big enough. In the end, it's usually just as fast to have the CPU do the calculations because it doesn't have to send the information nearly as far.

If they somehow release a sound card that uses PCI-E, that's a different story. But along the normal PCI bus, there just isn't enough throughput.

Comment

Originally posted by marshdabeachy
        The "improvement" is neglible at best. The sound card can do all the calculations it wants... the information still has to be fed back along the bus, and the pipe just isn't big enough. In the end, it's usually just as fast to have the CPU do the calculations because it doesn't have to send the information nearly as far.

If they somehow release a sound card that uses PCI-E, that's a different story. But along the normal PCI bus, there just isn't enough throughput.
        Do you REALLY know enough about this subject to be saying all of this? TBH, it doesn't seem like it. Onboard sound, in it current incarnation is very CPU-dependent and it DOES make a difference in overall performance when a sound card, or any other FRU or susbsystem for that matter, can do more front or back-end processing on its own.

Since when do gamers not want every bit of performance out of their rigs?

Comment

No, I don't. I don't know all the technical stuff behind it. I heard it from one of the lead audio engineers on the X-Box 360, who happened to be one of my instructors last semester (I go to DigiPen). Maybe he was talking out of his ***, in which case pay no attention to me.

I AM aware that onboard sound isn't nearly as good as a dedicated card. I have an Audigy myself. But the difference between an Audigy and an X-Fi is minimal, despite the performance difference.

Comment

Originally posted by marshdabeachy

no offense, but this is Bull****... (except for the "improvement" is neglible)
            audio doesnt require large amounts of bytes to be send through the bus http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=3005

there is an improvement when your CPU is the bottleneck, if your pc uses 100% CPU and you include an soundcard your fps will rise, but only slightly..

when your CPU only uses 60-70% of its power (like mine does during ut2k4) you wont increase your fps with a soundcard. however it does give much better sound... especially when used with a good headset (people sometimes accuse me of using wallhack when i hear them... lol)

if you want better fps... you should spend your money on a 3dcard (or CPU) and not on a soundcard!

if you want better sound... you should first learn all the ini settings in ut which improves sound also... and if you still want better sound (like most good players) then buy a soundcard and tweak your ini settings again!

Comment

Working...
            X