Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will joystick support be kept for UT2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will joystick support be kept for UT2007?

My most important question

And before you rip on it, a left hander with a joystick/mouse is pretty **** deadly (joystick for movement, dodge, strafe, weapons binds and fire/alt fire, mouse for aiming, ducking, jumping and the rest of my weapons binds).

I assumed that since all the other unreal games supported analog movement that 2007 would, but then I thought....what if?

There's always joystick emulator programs out there, but it would be digital movement and there's certain 'tricks' I cant do.

furthermore, I couldn't switch up to use my 360 gyro footpedals (don't ask...it's my own invention and I don't think words could describe how it works)

The worst change imaginable would be getting stuck using a *snicker* digital movement system

Why would joystick support be dropped? o_O

Comment

It will be in...

Comment

I hope joystick support is boosted quite a bit so you can bind things in a friendly manner like in BF2 instead of through a third party app or having to fool with the UT2004.ini.

Comment

The reason I asked is that folks don't typically use joysticks for fps games and so the concept is usually laughed or frowned upon, even moreso now than when ut99 was released and the trend in newer fps games is to yank out support for my precious...I mean, my joystick...precious joystick.

And homemade gyro foot pedals...

Comment

Originally posted by placebo 3.0
            I hope joystick support is boosted quite a bit so you can bind things in a friendly manner like in BF2 instead of through a third party app or having to fool with the UT2004.ini.
            AMEN to that, btw.

Taking the time out to tweak something like

JoyX=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=50.0 DeadZone=0.1
            JoyY=Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=800.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1
            JoyZ=
            JoyR=
            JoyU=
            JoyV=Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.2

is annoying and it'd be lovely to see the axis' supported properly from the word go or to have a GUI-based utility to tweak the settings.

Also, I'd like to see support for multiple joystick-like devices used at once.

Comment

It's most important that the game supports it so that the new generation of UT full-conversion mods for UT2k7 can use the joystick, ie, Red Orchestra 2 having tanks with joystick movement, etc. I keep fooling around with the idea of a UT2k7 combat flight sim, and that would need joystick support.

Comment

I---I love you. Support for my precious is partly the reason why I've stayed so dedicated to UT over the years.

Analog movement just feels and plays so much more smoothly. I can't imagine not being able to change my rate of movement on the fly.

Oddly enough, the one thing that you'd think a joystick would be better at (vehicles) it's actually not. Raptor? Yup, absolutely devastating. Tank? Slightly better than a keyboard while turning in place to circle strafe, but the turning while going forward is totally jacked. Manta? Hell no. Scorpion and Noobender? NO! And I can't figure out why.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo
                  Why would joystick support be dropped? o_O
                  You'd think that would be a no-brainer, but look at Id Software. They went from great analog joystick support in Quake 2 to "joystick emulates keyboard" in Quake 3 to no joystick support whatsoever in the Doom 3 engine. I guess if nobody's out there asking for it, they figure it's too much trouble.

I would think that Epic would leave it in if for no other reason than their engine will also be used on consoles, but you never can tell.

It would be nice if they'd have things completely configurable through the GUI, as well, but as long as they don't drop/dumb-down joystick support I'll be satisfied.

Originally posted by TheDeacon
                  Oddly enough, the one thing that you'd think a joystick would be better at (vehicles) it's actually not. Raptor? Yup, absolutely devastating. Tank? Slightly better than a keyboard while turning in place to circle strafe, but the turning while going forward is totally jacked. Manta? Hell no. Scorpion and Noobender? NO! And I can't figure out why.
                  Wow, I completely disagree with you there. The Scorpion and Hellbender were made for analog control, and I can drive way better with the stick than with the keyboard, and it's just plain fun.

I did spend the time to get the SpeedBase set perfectly so that I get the full range of movement from the steering. Too small a SpeedBase and you can't turn all the way, too big and you'll turn too quickly. Maybe that's the difference.

Comment

I didn't know people actually play UT2004 with a joystick. :mrgreen:

Comment

i've used both... first the keyboard and recently a joystick/mouse combo...

the joystick is uber-hard to get used to at first, but once you get used to the difference... it is wicked deadly with vehicles.

I agree about the tank turning while travelling... sheeeeeeeeeeeesh, if a real tank hit that mank things you would need any avrils LOL

Comment

What I want is a keyboard where the WASD area is replaced by an analog nub.

Comment

What does a "360 gyro footpedal" look like?

Comment

Funny enough, I've always been tempted to play some UT with an analog controller, yet the button mapping and sens adjustments just aren't up to par.

Comment

Originally posted by garcia_y_vega
                              What does a "360 gyro footpedal" look like?
                              It's pretty ugly, actually.

It's made up of two foot pedals that slide forward and backwards and tilt forward, backward, left and right and the top part also turns. It's like a frankenstein of several computer peripherals, but it's fun to use sometimes.

If I had the tools and expertise, I'd like to make one that will actually support my weight and I can stand up while playing. If I could afford one of those nice 3d shutter glasses, it would make for a pretty neat virtual reality tool.

Anyone care to invest so I can patent this thing and make a less hideous prototype? I'm actually serious here

Comment

Working...
                              X