Hi.... Long time lurker, first time poster.... Here are my current specs:
    1.8 Athlon FX 64 chip
    2GB of DDR RAM
    6600GT AGP videocard
    K8NS Ultra socket 939 motherboard
    120 GB Western Digital
    Audigy 2 soundcard
    Windows XP service pak 2
    I'm on a budget, so I'd like to know what can I do make sure I can hopefully run the next UT game... Any reccomendations? I'm looking at a budget of $500 Thanks!

what processor is that?

Comment

this will have no problem running ut2007 on lowest specs

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear hazard
        what processor is that?
        AMD Athlon 64 1.8 Ghz CPU (at least that's what I paid for )

Comment

do you know its name?
          like...the number: 3500 or 3000
          like all mad chips have

Comment

The 1.8GHz Athlon 64s are the 3000+, and if he has a venice core, he could overclock it to get the most out of it

Comment

You should certainly be able to run 2k7 with that PC, and if you can't, the game will fail before it's even begun, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by LordJaffa
                The 1.8GHz Athlon 64s are the 3000+, and if he has a venice core, he could overclock it to get the most out of it
                You are correct sir, its a 3000 CPU.... I can play Doom 3, Quake 4 with no problems. I want to make sure I can play UT2k7 with some eye candy.... I was looking at the EVGA 7800 GS to upgrade my AGP slot... Will that handle 2007???

Comment

Originally posted by Darthpanda
                  You are correct sir, its a 3000 CPU.... I can play Doom 3, Quake 4 with no problems. I want to make sure I can play UT2k7 with some eye candy.... I was looking at the EVGA 7800 GS to upgrade my AGP slot... Will that handle 2007???
                  yup :up:

Comment

My suggestion for upgrading?

Wait.

Just until about 2 weeks before the next BIG game that you are REALLY REALLY Drooling over comes out.

Then you can get the best bang for your buck.

Other then that, 500$ doesn't get you a hell of alot right now, but CPU and RAM ain't bad, so I'd just look at the vid card...although, what speed is that DDR Ram of yours? PC3200? Higher? Lower? If lower, I'd suggest getting Ram and Vid Card.

Comment

Originally posted by A2597
                      My suggestion for upgrading?

Wait.

Just until about 2 weeks before the next BIG game that you are REALLY REALLY Drooling over comes out.

Then you can get the best bang for your buck.

Other then that, 500$ doesn't get you a hell of alot right now, but CPU and RAM ain't bad, so I'd just look at the vid card...although, what speed is that DDR Ram of yours? PC3200? Higher? Lower? If lower, I'd suggest getting Ram and Vid Card.
                      Ram speed is clocked at 3200 2 GB all four slots filled....

Comment

You may want to consitter upgrading the motherboard and going with a pci videocard for the price of the 7800gs. Don't forget that you need a good powersupply to run a highend videocard.

Comment

Originally posted by human fx
                          You may want to consitter upgrading the motherboard and going with a pci videocard for the price of the 7800gs. Don't forget that you need a good powersupply to run a highend videocard.
                          I currently own a Thermaltake 480watt PSU.... How much power does a PCI Express card take?

Comment

Originally posted by Darthpanda
                            I currently own a Thermaltake 480watt PSU.... How much power does a PCI Express card take?
                            it depents on the card.

personally id wait on upgrading until you are unable to play a game you want to play, more you wait the best you can get for less usally.

Comment

Purchase a cost-effective enthusiast motherboard that supports enthusiast-level overclocking (I recommend DFI/MSI varieties; the former is more intensive but the latter is a bit more lax and friendly) and features at least one PCI-Express x16 slot. This will run you about $100 if you find the sweet spot.

If you need to upgrade now: Succeeding that purchase, proceed to overclock your 3000+ to 2.6+ GHz (effectively comparative to 3800+ performance). Purchase a video card to taste. I recommend a Radeon X1900XT or a model from the GeForce 7900 series. If you'd prefer a sub-$300 card, the X1800XT 512MB is probably your best bet. If your power supply can't handle the X1800+, then purchase a GeForce 7600GT and AMD Opteron 165 for a total of about $400 (for the video card and processor, $100 for the board; total still $500) for very excellent, stable performance in comparison to power draw.

If you're not averse to waiting a few months: Keep the mobo, though hopefully by then you'll find it for a cheaper price. Purchase an AMD Opteron 165 (Dual-Core 1.8GHz 1MBx2 Cache), overclock the hell out of it. Buy a suitable video card from the next line; hopefully you'll be able to purchase a mid-range performer that will rival or surpass the top performers of this generation.

At this point, if you must upgrade, sticking with AGP is not really a viable option. It hasn't reached its bottleneck, but it has reached the end of its enthusiast-level support with the final (relatively mediocre, compared to its PCI-Express counterparts) performer being the 7800GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X