X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make or Break

Random Discussion VII

Been awhile since I've done one of these

Anyway, I think the title sort of gives this one away. Now that we've seen a lot more of UT2007, and contraversy and debate has spread throughout all the threads, I'd like to concentrate the matter right here with one, simple question:

What features or changes to UT2007 will to you personally make-or-break the game?

Note that you don't have to think about the "greater scheme of things" here, but merely what features could, to you personally, either be insanely "wicked sick," or greatly hurt the game experience.

As I've learned from past RD's, I'll save my opinions for later :bored:

don't consolify the game.
    keep 2k4 choises of movement
    Make weapons more powerfull.
    improve sounds overall. (more powerfull)
    never give us maps like gael, leviathan, insidious, inferno, icetombs, gestalt ,hyperblast 2... etc again!

i will be happy enough if they don't overdo making this game too noob frendly. theres nothing wrong with putting time in something before u master a game. A game u can master in less then a month is boring imo. That and try and get the badass feeling ut99 gave back. I liked 2k4 more as a game, but the feeling/atmosphere ut99 gave u was 100 times better.

Comment

MRRRRRR CROWWWW~! IF this #$#$ asswipe isnt removed im boycotting UT

NErfing the movement too much. The reason ut2k3/2k4 are so much more popular over UT99 (im talking about the noob crowd, like me, which makes up a majority of the UT population) is the floaty and awesome movement. Dodge jumping, wall- dodging, and i certainly miss boost-dodging from 2k3.

Comment

If they turn it into a sim.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure I'll buy it and play it regularly lol.

Comment

I probably *would* say the maps, were it not for the fact that the community would fix that within a few weeks, and improve it constantly as time went on. Even with bad maps I'd most likely not drop the game completely.

I guess if they ruined DM and CTF somehow, then I'd be p*ssed.

Comment

I hope there is a kickass anti-cheat.
            But i will play it like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ||M@Yh3M||
              MRRRRRR CROWWWW~! IF this #$#$ asswipe isnt removed im boycotting UT

NErfing the movement too much. The reason ut2k3/2k4 are so much more popular over UT99 (im talking about the noob crowd, like me, which makes up a majority of the UT population) is the floaty and awesome movement. Dodge jumping, wall- dodging, and i certainly miss boost-dodging from 2k3.
              This "noob" crowd is considerably more skilled than the UT99 crowd...... unfortunately, the wider the skill gap, the less popular a video game seems to get is over time . See also: Tribes

'Tho threatening to boycott a game because of one skin is as noob as it gets :noob:

Comment

Hitscan domination, I really hope they can sort that out... and keeping the movement possibilities... a few good maps on release would be nice as well... visible skins, warmup and things like that would be nice, but if Epic doesnt give us that a mutator will... GOOD demorecording and UTV support

Comment

Originally posted by Nosnos
                  Hitscan domination
                  I dunno but when I looked at the video, the shock's primary looked really weak, although he doesn't kill anyone with it it simply "looked" weak, and I hope it is where the rocket launcher seems much more powerfull.

Comment

ANTI-CHEAT.
                    Having run UT and UT2k4 servers for the past four years (and spending thousands of dollars doing it) and having a competitive clan, my biggest ***** is lack of a decent anti-cheat and the seemingly simplicity of cheats being created. I am pretty sure I will stop running servers, drop my clan and give up the Unreal series period if the next game is as rife with cheaters and hax as it has been in the past.

Comment

Very well. I agree with many of the points here, yet to be specific about my biggies:

In no particular order...

-Tighten the skill gap
                      Quite frankly, I'm all for this, and I hope the difference is really noticeable. Newcomers are utterly hopeless and confused, the winners of matches are pretty much predetermined, and even a casual match feels insanely competitive if there's anybody better than you present. All of it adds up to create one simple formula: noobs come in last, intermediates place in the middle of the pack, pros top the charts consistently. Although that seems like it would make perfect sense, it allows absolutely no variability in winners or rankings and precludes anybody but the absolute top players' chances at winning a match. I'd like to beat an elite pro, and I'll gladly lose to a noob. All it needs is a few changes to the skill balance.

-Weapon type balancing, thank you.
                      Although I feel Epic is on the right track with the fast link projectiles and the slightly slower shock rifle, I still need to stress that this is probably the most important issue Epic needs to deal with in order to ensure UT's future success. I'd really love to kill people with the bio rifle again or maybe even melt a few enemies with the link gun, yet I reluctantly find myself holding the shock rifle half the time. Give the hitscan a good spanking and we may have a well-balanced DM experience once again...

...oh, and don't forget about lockdown weapons either!

-Unreal Warfare... heh
                      This only brings me worries. Judging by what I've seen of it, it seems to be entirely hitscan and vehicle dominant, overly complicated for pubs (seeing as people can't even handle Onslaught...), a really pitiful excuse for removing assault, drastically out of place, not as innovative as such a concept should be, and most of all, I look at it thinking it's simply too large scale. I really don't know what to do about this one (besides, of course, never play it)...

-Don't. Overdo. the. Specs.
                      I lied. This could potentially be the biggest heartbreaker in UT2007. While I do have faith in Epic when it comes to making manageable games in terms of specs, it is obvious that UT2007 will require some major upgrades, and seeing as this is the most advanced technology yet, they'll undoubtably be the most expensive as of yet. I do feel Epic is going overboard with the UT2007 graphics. Honestly, MUST we see the shadow detail on every individual unshaved hair on Malcolm's face? Do we NEED to have shockingly realistic shadow and lighting effects in order to enjoy blowing our enemies to hell? Let me tell you one thing: sensible gamers don't. I have nothing against making games look good, but if they're gonna make us throw thousands of dollars into it purely for that reason, they better have a thousand-dollar gameplay experience to go with it if they want to keep their community. Like I said, I trust Epic to do this right, yet it is always a threat...

Comment

Didnt Epic say that there is gonna be some sort of rankin system in built into the serverbrowser? So that you will face players that are on your own level of skill... I dont like the thought of "skills" having less of an impact on the outcome of the game... what I do think the game need is a way for "noobs" to get into the game in a better way... a game should be easy to learn hard to master... not hard to learn and hard to master... and not easy to learn easy to master either ^^

There should be mandatory tutorials the first time you play the game, they shouldnt take long, just a couple of minutes, but after a player has watch it they should now how to do all the movement. Not doing them like a pro but at least know what they need to practice on to get better at it... in UT2003/UT2004 you were pretty much thrown into the action without even knowing that you could dodge, dodgejump, walldodge, etc etc... a simple "follow the leader"-tutorial where you go through the basics should do... and then have optional more advanced tutorials... much like the trial maps that I belive you have in that dodge pro mod...

Same thing should be done for the weapons as well tbh...

Comment

Make= Fun factor, and a good anti cheat.:up:
                          Break= Spending a $1,000.00 on upgrades just to play it at a decent setting.:down:

Comment

Originally posted by AL777
                            -Tighten the skill gap
                            noobs come in last, intermediates place in the middle of the pack, pros top the charts consistently. Although that seems like it would make perfect sense, it allows absolutely no variability in winners or rankings and precludes anybody but the absolute top players' chances at winning a match. I'd like to beat an elite pro, and I'll gladly lose to a noob. All it needs is a few changes to the skill balance.
                            What you're asking is a complete redefinition of the DM mechanics. DM is defined as the guy with the most frags win. How many frags you score depend on your mastery of the skills required by the game. You can change what those skills are but you can't change the fact that whoever masters them will beat those who do not. To introduce "variability" in scoring means throwing this DM concept out the window and instead determining the winner from some random formula which would pretty much reduce the DM acronym to mean "Dice Match".

How well you do at any gametype in any game is definied by the time and effort you devote to learning what works and what doesn't. You might think that randomizing the outcome would make the game more fun but consider this: Why are sports strictly regulated to prevent chance being an influence on the outcome? And does this make them less fun?

Comment

Originally posted by AL777
                              Very well. I agree with many of the points here, yet to be specific about my biggies:

In no particular order...

-Tighten the skill gap
                              Quite frankly, I'm all for this, and I hope the difference is really noticeable. Newcomers are utterly hopeless and confused, the winners of matches are pretty much predetermined, and even a casual match feels insanely competitive if there's anybody better than you present. All of it adds up to create one simple formula: noobs come in last, intermediates place in the middle of the pack, pros top the charts consistently. Although that seems like it would make perfect sense, it allows absolutely no variability in winners or rankings and precludes anybody but the absolute top players' chances at winning a match. I'd like to beat an elite pro, and I'll gladly lose to a noob. All it needs is a few changes to the skill balance.

-Weapon type balancing, thank you.
                              Although I feel Epic is on the right track with the fast link projectiles and the slightly slower shock rifle, I still need to stress that this is probably the most important issue Epic needs to deal with in order to ensure UT's future success. I'd really love to kill people with the bio rifle again or maybe even melt a few enemies with the link gun, yet I reluctantly find myself holding the shock rifle half the time. Give the hitscan a good spanking and we may have a well-balanced DM experience once again...

...oh, and don't forget about lockdown weapons either!

-Unreal Warfare... heh
                              This only brings me worries. Judging by what I've seen of it, it seems to be entirely hitscan and vehicle dominant, overly complicated for pubs (seeing as people can't even handle Onslaught...), a really pitiful excuse for removing assault, drastically out of place, not as innovative as such a concept should be, and most of all, I look at it thinking it's simply too large scale. I really don't know what to do about this one (besides, of course, never play it)...

-Don't. Overdo. the. Specs.
                              I lied. This could potentially be the biggest heartbreaker in UT2007. While I do have faith in Epic when it comes to making manageable games in terms of specs, it is obvious that UT2007 will require some major upgrades, and seeing as this is the most advanced technology yet, they'll undoubtably be the most expensive as of yet. I do feel Epic is going overboard with the UT2007 graphics. Honestly, MUST we see the shadow detail on every individual unshaved hair on Malcolm's face? Do we NEED to have shockingly realistic shadow and lighting effects in order to enjoy blowing our enemies to hell? Let me tell you one thing: sensible gamers don't. I have nothing against making games look good, but if they're gonna make us throw thousands of dollars into it purely for that reason, they better have a thousand-dollar gameplay experience to go with it if they want to keep their community. Like I said, I trust Epic to do this right, yet it is always a threat...
                              some very good points:up:

And I'll add:

Easy to use Editor
                              The 2k4 editor was easy and powerfull tool to use....(at least I think it was)...let's keep it that way.

Quality not quatity
                              More maps and options isn't always a good thing.
                              *[edit] I totally forgot about the interview...they sayd there would be less maps but the maps that are included would be of good quality

hmmm...can't really think of anything anymore...maybe later some more idea's will pop up

Comment

Working...
                              X