UT2k7: headshots that make sense and aren't insanely difficult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2k7: headshots that make sense and aren't insanely difficult

One of the things I dislike about UT2k4 is unless you're very good, or facing a player who doesn't dodge or move much at all, headshots are predominantly luck. Some models have heads that barely align with the headshot hitbox, or have animations that make it even more confusing.

UT2k7's more grounded movement might fix this without any other adjustments, but I think it's a concern that warrants more balancing if movement and scaling alone do not fix it.

Bring back the bloody head.

Comment

placebo you need to play against a buddy of mine... gets so many headshots it is ridiculous. i can tell you this that while luck is a factor for headshots skill is a large part too. if it wasnt he wouldnt consistently be hitting them like he does.

Comment

Isnt that right ? "unless you're very good" ? Shouldnt it be that way eh?

Sure hs is luck but good players get constant number of hs every game , so it cant be that much luck eh? Like I said somewhere earlies , you might aswell say hitting someone with rocket is luck , coz he might dodge and "unless you're very good " u will miss .

I would make it more like that a neckshot kill u too . than u would get a message - Neckshot !!!

Yeah I guess ur right about hs being very hard in ut2k4 and believe me even the best players depend a bit on luck .

EDIT : U should have a look at pepespain / mihas / luxxiz / or even dsN , they get loads of hs , I would say its not much luck when playing with them .

Comment

Great for him, but what about the rest of us? I'm presume he forcemodels as well.

Comment

I get lots of hs too , if u want u can play me and Ill show and explain

Comment

aren't insanely difficult
              I dont find the heashots insanely difficult, tho its allot harder then in ut99 with that 2/3 headshot range. It seems to me ok, compared to other games its not that bad.

Comment

ITs more like , if u actually aim at the level as enemy's head , its like 33% of a HS , its just about hitting .

Comment

I got mutch HS in iDM or iCTF with luck ofc

Comment

No matter what the difficulty argument, headshot collision definitely needs to be fixed. It is just so warped that it is frustrating. Honestly, I've gotten more headshots that seemed to have hit the air than shots that actually look like they hit the head.

Comment

Well head shots in UT2k4 are arguably more accurate than in UT99, as most of the time in UT1 you only had to aim in the general direction of the other players head.

What makes headshots in UT2k4 more difficult is not just that you have to actually hit the head itself but also account for the consistently 'bouncy' acrobatics and speed of players.

With practice tho, you can indeed begin to rack up headshots.

Comment

the backflipping models are kinda weird. I've hit satin's ankle and gotten a headshot. It's not surprising people forcemodel.

Comment

I think they had gotten it pretty well in UT2003, no idea why they changed it.

Comment

the solution is: actually make a hitbox cyllendar specifically for the head.

wtf were you thinking epic, when you decided to just have the neck bone register headshots?

Comment

Originally posted by chimbaktu
                              the solution is: actually make a hitbox cyllendar specifically for the head.

wtf were you thinking epic, when you decided to just have the neck bone register headshots?
                              Uh, actually, UT2004 changed it so it is a sphere on the mesh's head. UT2003 is the one with the ridiculous weighted bone-finding thing that was so broken you could shoot people in the foot and sometimes get a headshot.

The only issues with UT2004's method are that some of the meshes have a head bone that's too low (and there were too many for us to individually try to adjust them) and that since the animations were approximated on a dedicated server, models that did flips when jumping were still pretty random. I doubt any of our characters in UT2007 will be doing flips, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore and the art is more consistent so it should be easier to get the sphere in the right place.

FWIW, I think the headshot should be very difficult unless you're really sniping. The run and gun as if the sniper rifle was an instagib rifle is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                              X