Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Fuzzlebunny
    I must be the only one who likes the stylized armor.
    Nope, I do too.

A normal human in average clothes is pretty boring really, if anything I always thought the UT99 armour was stupid because there's no way it could provide any protection - so why bother?
    Kids playing laserquest or paintball wear more protection than that.
    I must admit I was a little dissapointed in UT99, simply because they could have done *anything*, and yet it was just a bunch of normal people in scruffy clothes. Althoug I admit taht in hindsight the technology was a big limit on what you could do, still..

The armour is used as a statement to represent the strength of the character, the Juggs (for example) are huge, genetically redesigned things (I hesitate to say "people" ), hell, we saw one punch through a concrete pillar in the 2K3 intro.

The convention of big armour & a small head is used in just about all apects of character design (from tabletop games, to action figures, to film design, to graphic art, etc..) to represent scale and strength, when you look at the overall outlines, you clock the size of the head, and then your brain does a little bit of scale-juggling, & so the other bits look bigger in comparison to this (relatively) small head..

Originally posted by LordJaffa
    I wonder if Epic got the new armour idea from the Warhammer 40k space marines :weird:

For the Emperor!
    Presicely what I thought
    The Marine design would be very plain & boring if they were in proportion, and think about Terminators - they've not been able to see the ground since the 80's, that's not mentioning the eagle-motif which I think though is probably what you meant - I was thinking precisely of the painting below to represent what I meant about scale & propertion, they're a perfect example.

Marines *do* translate well to UT2kX & '99, despite being bulkier than Juggs and breaking all the rules that so many people seem to think are required for a cool look for UT chars;

UT 2K3

UT99

Despite being totally out of *natural* propertion they just wouldn't work as a design if you did them differently, loads of designers & modellers have tried to do real-size marines and failed.

This is a (wip) Termie I painted a few years back, a good example because he has no helmet, and as you can see the head is pretty tiny.

I have hoards of these guys on photobucket and I have really tried several times to build Termies in proportion, and believe me, the design just falls to pieces if you try it - it depends upon your taking liberties with the size of the head, shoulders and limbs in order to make the rest of it look bigger than it really is, and in this I think that Malcolm & the Juggs are no different.

As an analogy - It's like the same way that to human eyes, white with blue highlights actually looks brighter than just just pure, plain, white.
    Of course it's *wrong*, but we see it that way nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    **** you McDonalds you made Malcom fat!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wonder if Epic got the new armour idea from the Warhammer 40k space marines :weird:

For the Emperor!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    He could lose a little polys.
    erm,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Boksha
    Some ultra-light ultra-strong futuristic material that apparently requires at least a 10cm thick layer to give any protection.
    Or maybe in the future everybody has a mechanical exoskeleton that does all the walking, running and jumping for them, so everybody grows really fat?
    Well, how much steel would you need to protect yourself from 3 rockets, or a shock combo? Of course, this statement completely disregards the fact that characters in UT games so far have been able to survive such explosive assaults using little more than their own skin in the most extreme cases.

Let's face it, the whole concept is somewhat flawed unless we can throw 'energy shield' into the mix. How could Malcom survive a rocket that hit him directly in the face? His armour doesn't cover it, but I'm sure that won't make a difference in the actual game.

The image is a little deceptive I think too. There's not really a huge difference going on. The sections of armor that drop down the arm off the shoulder are the only big difference, while other areas are slightly bulked up (particularly the upper torso up to the neck). It does seem that Malcom's muscle mass (fat? who knows really ) has been generally increased all over, and the combination of these two factors makes it look like just huge armor. In fact, the upper leg actually looks a bit less armored than the UT2004 iteration really.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Fuzzlebunny
    I like the look of the armors as well. :up:
    But why complaining about that, isn't the game all about shooting the hell out of each other? I would be more thinking about fighting than whining about armors and get myself killed. :bulb:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by The_Deacon
    Or some ultra-light ultra-strong futuristic as yet undiscovered material...
    Some ultra-light ultra-strong futuristic material that apparently requires at least a 10cm thick layer to give any protection.
    Or maybe in the future everybody has a mechanical exoskeleton that does all the walking, running and jumping for them, so everybody grows really fat?

Originally posted by MysTikal
    I do belive its spelled "Malcolm".....
    Dont forget, the more the merrier. In most cases.
    Nope. Malcom. MALCOM. Geez, you kids don't even get that in history class nowadays?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, hey, I'm the only one who likes UT2003.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I do belive its spelled "Malcolm".....
    Dont forget, the more the merrier. In most cases.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Honestly, although I am, no doubt, giving up my life for UT2007, it's things like this that fill me with qualms about Epic's success. Seriously, not only is that armor illogical, but it is overdone, unattractive, outlandish, and just **** tawdry (well, at least that makes it fit in with virtually everything else in UT2007).

Still, In the end, I don't care what the game looks like as long as hitscan gets murdered

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Boksha
    Lugging 150kg of steel with you is all the rage in the year UT2k7 takes place.
    +1 :haha:

Yeah, its stupid, i have no idea where the hell they got the fact that players need so much armour, it just looks plain stupid. And all designers seem to ignore this fact when people talk about it on the forums.

I say if they have that much armour, jumping should be cut in half, dodging is impossible, jump pads only take you half the height and vehicles slow down when more of these fat characters get into them
    [/hint hint]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Monkey_Reloaded
    CliffyB [or maybe one of the concept artists :x ] said that big armor was being used as a sort of iconic feature for their characters. :bored:
    Whats that mean?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by The_Deacon
    Or some ultra-light ultra-strong futuristic as yet undiscovered material...

or whatever, you can probably tell what I'm getting at.
    got the words from my mind

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iron12
    I was a lot skinner when I was younger to.

He looks just fine to me.

Have you notice in the videos that the Epic guys are getting a little fatter to.
    CliffyB [or maybe one of the concept artists :x ] said that big armor was being used as a sort of iconic feature for their characters. :bored:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X