Little aesthetic shockrifle idea for UT2k7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little aesthetic shockrifle idea for UT2k7

When you nail a combo, the primary beam hitting the core should be brighter and more severe than the normal non-combo beam, and clearly melding with the combo explosion. Right now there's no real visual explanation for the fact that combos use more ammo than the sum of their parts, but I think it would make it visually obvious that the shock rifle is sort of feeding the combo energy.

Thoughts?

I dunno, i kinda feel the combo should look like it is now. Like the shock ball has the inate energy that is released by collsion with the shock beam.

Surely if the energy was fed it wouldn't nearly be as explosion-y.

Comment

Sounds like a nice touch. Maybe making the beam pulse a bit, change color, splinter, something as you say to account for the ammo going down.

Comment

Hey, why not?

Comment

*clears throat*

There is a reason. A very simple reason. One that is a fundamental for this game.

UNREAL

Comment

That doesnt mean it shouldn't look better

Comment

Originally posted by placebo 3.0
              When you nail a combo, the primary beam hitting the core should be brighter and more severe than the normal non-combo beam, and clearly melding with the combo explosion. Right now there's no real visual explanation for the fact that combos use more ammo than the sum of their parts, but I think it would make it visually obvious that the shock rifle is sort of feeding the combo energy.

Thoughts?
              Since there's no reason to, why not just dump the whole "extra ammo for combos" thing altogether. Because there's really no explanation at all why it happens. If you actually DO shoot a more powerful primary, then why doesn't it use extra ammo even when you miss? I always thought the whole concept was pretty weird/dumb anyways. Most regular people who go for combos generally spend extra ammo trying to hit the secondary ball anyways, so why take even more when they actually hit it?

Comment

I'd say: when the shockbeam hits the shock core, the explosion needs more energy to feed on. It sucks the required energy through the beam from the ammo containers, making the shock combo require more ammo.

It'd be merely logical that a shock combo is less powerful when someone ran out of ammo though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvelli
                  Since there's no reason to, why not just dump the whole "extra ammo for combos" thing altogether. Because there's really no explanation at all why it happens.
                  While an explanation would be nice, having a combo cost only 2 ammo would pretty much break the game, so even if there's no explanation that's no reason to drop it. Aesthetics are extremely important, but when it comes down to it, in Unreal graphics and text just have to budge to suit gameplay, not the other way around.

Most regular people who go for combos generally spend extra ammo trying to hit the secondary ball anyways, so why take even more when they actually hit it?
                  Spend extra ammo to hit the secondary? Erm... even with the shock prim's high ROF, after missing the first shot at your core you won't have a second chance to detonate it next to your opponent. Any combo that will deal a non-useless amount of damage (i.e. more than just a primary blast would have done) is detonated with a single shot from the primary.

Comment

I agree Placebo, the effect would emphasize the combo quite effectively and make it stand out much more. Only problem is from the latest footage I've seen of ut2k7, the combos arent much too look at anyhow as they only last like less than half a second it seems.

And as far as needing more ammo for combos is simple. Combos do more damage duh. Ammo should be relative to damage done, theres your explanation.

And agreed with Boksha, thats a moot point to say people waste ammo trying to hit their ball, cause you either hit it or you dont. Most of the time you dont have the time to sit and hit a ball after already trying once.

Comment

I think the combo being short in time only makes it look more powerful. Sort of like a BANG instead of a phooooooooom, so in that sense it wouldn't look wrong if the primary beam was brighter than normal.
                      Anyway, if there has to be an explanation of the combo's power, it doesn't have to be that the combo actually drains energy from the rifle. I think instead of that, it just wastes energy somehow. The combo's extra firepower would then not come from the the extra ammo spent, but from the sudden-ness of the explosion. (i.e. the energy of the primary and secondary combined would've been enough to cause the explosion, but unless they are combined the energy just slowly dissipates into the target, dealing considerably less damage than the combo, where all energy is instantly released, would do. Kind of like how a pulsed laser can be used to cut into something, while a continuous wave laser will just burn something up, even though it has a higher average power)

Comment

Since there's no reason to, why not just dump the whole "extra ammo for combos" thing altogether. Because there's really no explanation at all why it happens. If you actually DO shoot a more powerful primary, then why doesn't it use extra ammo even when you miss? I always thought the whole concept was pretty weird/dumb anyways. Most regular people who go for combos generally spend extra ammo trying to hit the secondary ball anyways, so why take even more when they actually hit it?

Because you do five times the damage, so you use five times the ammo. Besides, I've seen people hit almost every combo they attempt, and no extra ammo usage would make their shock rifle with 50 ammo able to do 25 combo's. That's a wee bit ZOMGWTFBBQOVERPOWERED in my book ..

Comment

If they're hitting every combo they fire, they're most likely standing still. If you can't shoot someone standing still, you've got issues.

If they're running and jumping and dodging off walls and still hit every combo they attempt, they're amazingly good and probably deserve to win in the first place.

That's just my opinion at least.

Comment

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-
                            If they're hitting every combo they fire, they're most likely standing still. If you can't shoot someone standing still, you've got issues.
                            I dunno. I have quite a hard time hitting someone standing still on the other side of a corner.
                            If someone is hitting every combo while dodging in actual fights, being able to do 10 combos with 50 ammo is just right. IMO the best thing about the extra cost for a combo is that it prevents people from spamming a corner with combos for a whole minute or so.

Comment

It would be OK to add some aesthetic enhancement to the combo to represent the ammo drain. And I don't mind the extra ammo that combos use for the obvious reasons.

But, I am dissapointed to see the combo get smaller, quieter, or less impressive in any way. There are a few weapon characteristics that absolutely blow me away (no pun intended) no matter how many times I see them. I (sometimes) don't even mind that I died because the action is just so thrilling. In the order that I love them:

1) Combos - great big frickin booms, preferably done with some skill.
                              2) Primary flak in the face
                              3) One shoot goo kills
                              4) The devastating, unavoidable triple rox (better to give than recv)
                              5) Head shots
                              6) Secondary flak in the face

These (along with UT movement) are some of the reasons I still play the UT series after years and drop other games even before playing them through once ...

Comment

Working...
                              X