Question bout Gamepads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question bout Gamepads

Does UT2k4 suport them? The keyboard is nice but i think it may be worth it to try getting a gamepad.

There are threads about setting up joystick/gamepad support so it is possible, not a good idea mind you (KB/Mouse destroys every other control scheme in FPS's) but to each their own

Comment

Oh yeah, UT2k4 has controller support along with force feedback. Mind you, I've set up mine with the controller's software which maps the controller buttons to keyboard and mouse functions.

I have 2 controllers that I use, Logitech Wingman Rumble Pad and MS Sidewinder Dual Strike.

Comment

Keep in mind that using a gamepad or joystick limits your turn speed. No more 180 turns in a split second when in close combat. With a mouse your aim is as fast or slow as you move it.

Comment

I uses the n52 gamepad,it's a lefthand pad with 518 mouse,works great and you can program the keys from the keyborad to the pad, very responsive,works very good in fps games and you can keep the mouse.

Comment

Using a mouse is always better than a gamepad for FPS where aiming is crucial. However some people feel more fun when playing with a gamepad. IMO playing with a controller here against bots can be fun if you like gamepad but online... well, if you like losing :P

Comment

n52 FTW.

Comment

Some people I know use a game pad in the left hand and a mouse in the right. That way you get the accuracy and quickness of the mouse, but the movement of a game pad. You get pretty good movement, especially in vehicles, but you can forget about dodge-jumps, which is one reason why I don't play that way. Another negative is that you don't have quick access to weapon or other binds, so weapon switching is all mouse scroll wheel. On game pads that are Playstation-like, if driver supported, the joystick can be movement, left 1 and 2 can be jump and crouch, and the directional pad for "use" and 3 other binds. That set-up can work well for some games, but not too well for UT if you play seriously.

Comment

Aren't game pads 2-handed devices? Kinda hard to aim with a mouse if your left hand is hold a small controller - or the controller is resting on your leg or something.

There are gaming pads which are cut-down size keyboards which you can program fully for about $50 that are getting very good reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Compiler50
                    Aren't game pads 2-handed devices? Kinda hard to aim with a mouse if your left hand is hold a small controller - or the controller is resting on your leg or something.
                    I've played that way before, it's actually comfortable. It's not hard to aim at all, any more than mouse-keyboard. Flying a Raptor with a game pad is kinda nice, because you can do suttle movements that you can't with a keyboard. But it's not for every game for the reasons I've previously stated.

Comment

The problem with UT2k4 is that although there's gamepad support, the axis that the analog sticks etc control requires .ini tweaking rather than just moving them in one direction just like you'd set a key or mouse button. I put this as one of my requested features for UE3 games.

Comment

Originally posted by ManOfAluminum
                        Some people I know use a game pad in the left hand and a mouse in the right. That way you get the accuracy and quickness of the mouse, but the movement of a game pad. You get pretty good movement, especially in vehicles, but you can forget about dodge-jumps, which is one reason why I don't play that way. Another negative is that you don't have quick access to weapon or other binds, so weapon switching is all mouse scroll wheel. On game pads that are Playstation-like, if driver supported, the joystick can be movement, left 1 and 2 can be jump and crouch, and the directional pad for "use" and 3 other binds. That set-up can work well for some games, but not too well for UT if you play seriously.

That's a superior setup for almost all fps', not UT though unfortunately. The drawback is the lack of a moving dodge jump as you said. I'm using a n52 now, but when I first started in 2k4 I was using an old-school Gravis gamepad Pro. I have fairly long fingers, so I could hit every button except for the 2 paddle buttons that were on the opposite wing that I was gripping. With my Mx700 and piped weapons binds there was nothing I couldn't do, except dodge jump . It took me a long time to get used to the n52 after that, but I love it now. I don't see me using anything else in the near future.

I see the appeal of using a gamepad the normal way ( sitting in a big comfortable chair, and not being tied to a table), but the controls just don't suit me, and that's probably the biggest reason I don't console game.

Comment

So would it be worth spending 15$ for a cheap wal-mart gamepad to see if i like it better that way? Something about having to edit the ini. file or something like that, by theory, couldnt you somehow make a bind that allows dodge-jumps?

I cant play online so it doesnt really matter bout sucking...

Comment

Game pads have their place... like any other TOOL. They replaced the 80's joysticks by allowing many buttons to be controlled. Remember when Atari & Odessey2 had only 1 FIRE button. (Seems like such a violent name nowadays heheh) The Vectrex was killer - it had an ANALOG joystick with 4 firebuttons (Mine still works). And joystick has kinda of returned with analog sticks added to today's game pads.

But gamepads DO NOT replace joysticks for flight-sims (they work pretty good, but I enjoy controlling a jet fighter with my 5 button side-winder than a mouse or pad). But Jagnot - give a game-pad a try... $15 does get you a decent pad... but you'll have better luck getting a D-Pad from CompUSA or FRys... DPads sold in walmart are for consoles.

Logitech sells a basic DPAD for PC at $10 & $20.

Comment

N52 gamepad is the best gamepad for fps games,it runs about 30.00$ if you can find it online,circuitcity sell it for 45.00$,one time investment for all your pc games,17 butons,4modes for a total of 68 programble butons,8 direction D pad that you can marco the dogge to it,highly recomend it with a good mouse if you want to compete online,

Comment

Working...
                              X