Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use Speakers or Headphones? Explain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I don't own them. My friend does. yeah, they are comfortable, but thats about it. I tried them out of my PA2V2 connected to my x-fi, using ASIO output and one of my favorite cd's. I'm not going to sit back and call you names for using it, instead I'll tell you why I don't like it. It has the same problem I have with most headphones. I can hardly hear vocals on it, they are quiet and recessed imo (more so for males), and I hate headphones like that. That, and they feel cheap. They should be better for the price you pay.

Comment

Most cheap stuff has trouble reproducing the midrange of sound.
      The Sennheiser PX100 I use also have too much bass compared to the mid.
      Many people actually like lots of bass and treble though, hence the large amount of audio equipment that concentrates on it... not all of it cheap.

Comment

i use headphones..but prefer speakers..use headphones cuz they are quieter

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalis
          Speakers at home, headphones at lan parties.
          Ditto.

Comment

Headphones, mostly cause my ignorant brother has the radio on as high as the volume goes. Also because I think it's funny to hear people swearing at each other, but mom and dad dont...

Comment

If no-one's in the house, then I use the speakers on loud volumes, if it's day/evening, then speakers on fairly quiet, but at night I use headphones.

Comment

i have some old headphones, the left side doesnt work and the right is hanging on by loose wires. Should really get some more sometime but cba.

Im not allowed to use speakers - too noisy !

Comment

I got Z-5500's I use for gaming. I use headphones though if the wife is in the room at her PC though...

I use headphones to watch loud movies late at night if wifey is sleeping. I have some headphones I bought in 1985 I still use. I can't believe how good they still sound, even better than newer more expensive ones. Strange...

:up:

Comment

I use a headset 9 times out of 10 simply because I don't want my family hearing the sort of language that comes with war (online fps)

I currently use these:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...5920&GroupID=0

but I've just sent a set back because the mic broke. I'm tempted to get a different pair as these hurt me and now I've got the chance because I can sell the new set they send me on ebay. My question is are the 5.1 headsets really worth it? and how much would I need to spend to get a descent set (stirling)? Is it better getting good 5.1 headphones and a seperate mic maybe?

any help would be much apreciated

Comment

In theory a set of stereo earphones will give you the most accurate surround possible IF the source has an accurate 3d-audio modelling processor. Yes ideally it would be better than a physically surrounding 5.1 setup, but the reality is that most Audio processors do not do a good enough job at simulation so while using multiple speakers is a brute force approach it can still end up being better.
                      My point - If you want the best surround and stereo quality from the same set get some decent stereo headphones only if you plan to match it with a high end gaming card (like the X-fi, I dont have one but they have long touted improved headphone surround as a feature, and it's pretty neat on my Audigy2 already so I have high hopes...). Also I'd recommend getting open rather than closed cans, it does leak more sound but I've always experienced a better sense of depth when the ears weren't completely enclosed, psychoacoustics I guess.

Comment

Depends, for UT2004 I'm always using speakers. For Counter Strike Source I sometimes use speakers or headphones depending on the noise level of my surroundings, mainly cuz I always seem to play it when the air conditioning/heater is on (it's right behind me). I have two headphones, one has really deep base which is good for the bawitdabada bang da bang diggy diggy type sounds and there's this "premium" base headphones which appear to have a different type of base..like in different noises, kinda hard to explain.

Comment

i use both depending what time it is, but i prefer to use speakers. i have a nice set of acoutic enery ego 2 speaker & for headphones i have pair of jvc cans. imo the headphones with inbuild mics are pretty **** ( build & sound quailty) , so i use a desk top mic so i can use teamspeak with either setup. but i would recomend a plantronic desktop switching unit so you dont have to keep wire swapping.

Comment

I absolutely prefer speakers (i have a decent surround setup), but i end up using headphone/mic for UT matches. I use the mic for teamspeak and get to play a lot later at night with the headphones. But I really think they are a distraction on (in?) my head.

edit - I'd probly like the headphones better if I got a better pair with surround and more comfy.

Comment

Headpones most of the time. My microphone is a headset, so I have no choice but to use headphones in that case.

I occasionally use speakers when I'm playing non-team modes, as no one would use a mic anyway.

Comment

Headphones, Sennheiser pc150's.

A lot of noise gets lost when using speakers, noise that tells you where the other player is. Rockets loading, creaking of wood, steps on metal. Unskilled players call it luck, cheat, radar or whatever, but if you really want to become good, especially in dm-styles games, stick with quality headphones.

Comment

Working...
                                X