Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is UT2007 going to take advantage of the Sound Blaster X-fi?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Is UT2007 going to take advantage of the Sound Blaster X-fi?

    You hear all this talk of how UT2007 is going to take advantage of dual core processors, SLI, crossfire, PhysX, etc... Well, one thing that I have not seen mentioned is the Sound Blaster X-fi. Is UT2007 going to take advantage of all the advanced features it supports? Like EAX 5.0, OpenAL 2.0 and X-RAM? I know the unreal series has always been one to have advanced sound capabilities, in UT:GOTY, there was support for hardware audio, A3D and surround sound. In UT2003/4 there was support for hardware audio, 5.1 surround sound and EAX 3.0. Is UT2007 going to continue the trend and support EAX 5.0, OpenAL 2.0, hardware audio, surround sound and the X-ram? Because I paid extra for the X-fi fatal1ty to have the onboard RAM, and I would be really depressed if none of the games I play use it. I know BF2 uses it, but I don't play BF2. What are your thoughts on this?

    #2
    I would suspect that it will take advantage of such things. It would be unlikely for Epic to ignore these features based on previous trends

    Comment


      #3
      Since we are on the topic of sounds here, I hope they will stick with OGG. for their music. This way I can just import the one I have over into ut2007.

      Comment


        #4
        I have a X-Fi Fatal1ty next to me on the computer desk and I would like to know the same thing.
        I would think it is the case though, why would Epic add support for the PPU but not already existing XRAM?

        Comment


          #5
          Yes...

          I would say yes, since Creative Labs is pretty much the de facto sound card manufacturer. I am not sure what their market share is but it is most likely around 99%, and Turtle Beach, Diamond, M-Audio and AOpen fight for the other 1% left over.

          Comment


            #6
            I would say:
            Yes, they will suport the newest and brightest Sound systems...


            However you'll probably have to make a choice:
            Cool new sound features used.... but lower FPS and some things (like voice chat) won't work
            Or Everything works..., but no cool features used

            Comment


              #7
              I heard it has no sound support at all. You will have to make your own sound effects with 2 soup cans and a flushing urinal...

              :up:

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Emmet Otter
                Since we are on the topic of sounds here, I hope they will stick with OGG. for their music.
                Dear god yes please >_<

                Comment


                  #9
                  According to anandtech.com

                  2k4 can take advantage of the x-ram.

                  Creative has shown us some numbers that they have run using UT2K4 and a special patch that allows for playing over 100 voices at a time (currently only 30 are supported in the game), as well as uploading uncompressed sound files to the onboard memory. The numbers show a pretty big performance improvement when X-RAM is enabled in this case. Unfortunately, we don't know how real world this test is. Without having the patch to test ourselves, we can't really know what's going on. If we are more than tripling the number of concurrent voices, we would hope to see some sort of quality improvement as well. A performance improvement for a feature that isn't necessary is a useless test.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X