Rocket + Shock combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket + Shock combo

I think it would be great if you could combo with multiple weapons. It would enhance diversity of weapon usage and tactics, in addition to just being cool. For example, presently you can destroy rockets with the shock primary, but it's anticlimactic. What if instead it exploded in a large fireball? You could use it offensively with some fast weapon switching.

All projectiles that can be hit with the shock should be detonable, preferably with different combo for each - that would include bio globs, flak shells, rockets, and redeemers (and obviously shock balls).

Hm. I think combos should be limited to a single weapon. It's bad enough you can switch weapons depending on the situation while barely losing any time. Giving people yet another reason to switch weapons during a battle would be OTT IMO. I think the game would be better off with an incentive to start a battle out with the right weapon to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
      I think the game would be better off with an incentive to start a battle out with the right weapon to begin with.
      Agreed.

Comment

I like that idea. More strategic depth to personal combat. You will have to think fast and make the right chess move, so to speak.

I always loved shock combo. To me it is the most interesting weapon in UT.

Comment

I always wondered where people pull all those spare weapons from...

Comment

It's just one element of the game...

Hm. I think combos should be limited to a single weapon. It's bad enough you can switch weapons depending on the situation while barely losing any time. Giving people yet another reason to switch weapons during a battle would be OTT IMO. I think the game would be better off with an incentive to start a battle out with the right weapon to begin with.
            I agree that combos should be limited to the SR, but why are you against the ability to switch weapons quickly? I think it's just one element of the game that good players use to frag more efficiently. I can recall a lot of incidents where I've been engaged in a Flak battle and during the middle of it the other player would switch to LG and hit me with a head shot. It ****** me off but it was a sweet frag.

Comment

Because it matters little what weapon you "run around" with, since you can switch in a fraction of a second anyway. There's no point in trying to anticipate which one you need, and you don't gain anything from trying to "catch" your opponent with an awkward weapon out.

If someone is using the SR for example, and I decide to dodge towards him to get under his minimum combo range, he can just switch to flak or rockets and only lose about half a shot from it.

But it's not really a problem I guess. At least it wasn't as bad as in Ut2k3 where there was no reason whatsoever *not* to use shock primary while waiting for the LG to reload. Except if you were out of shock ammo or something.

Comment

Originally posted by napsterlover237
                I agree that combos should be limited to the SR, but why are you against the ability to switch weapons quickly? I think it's just one element of the game that good players use to frag more efficiently. I can recall a lot of incidents where I've been engaged in a Flak battle and during the middle of it the other player would switch to LG and hit me with a head shot. It ****** me off but it was a sweet frag.
                I am against the ability to switch weapons quickly because the LG was never meant to be a close range weapon, yet the ability to switch like mad makes it very easy to pop an LG hit between your other attacks without even losing any time between shots.
                I'd say a majority of my LG kills were actually made at close or midrange, and directly after switching to another weapon. IMO the ability to switch quickly makes the game less tactical because you have to think ahead less, plus it encourages to use accurate hitscan weapons at any range. (which is IMO a bad thing as they're very powerful as it is)
                Finally, being able to switch may at first seem like a way to let good players frag lesser players more efficiently, until you realise that it's just a trick you can learn in one afternoon that instantly boosts your combat efficiency (provided you already know what weapon to use in what situation). Rather than being easy to learn, hard to master, it's the other way around. You have to learn it, which, admittedly, isn't exactly hard, but still more trouble than actually mastering it.

Finally, being able to use every weapon in every fight makes the game more monotonous. It'd be more interesting if, in one fight, you have to rely primarily on the rocketlauncher while in the other you have to rely on, say, the LG.

Comment

Finally, being able to use every weapon in every fight makes the game more monotonous. It'd be more interesting if, in one fight, you have to rely primarily on the rocketlauncher while in the other you have to rely on, say, the LG.
                  That seems paradoxical at least. How can the use of more weapons possibilities make for less dynamic gameplay? There's nothing stopping you using just one weapons anyway.

Comment

You should be rewarded if you can hit with LG or shock at close range before the other guy can flack/rox you. I like the fast weapon switch because you are given more opportunity to "beat the odds" which means more dynamic gameplay.

For example, say you have 50 health fighing an enemy with 130 heath. He sneaks up on you and attacks with rox/flack. You have a flack out, hear his foot steps and whip around, fire a secondary and damage him for 80. He gets bounced and only does small splash damage with his weapon, dropping your health to 20. Now, with out fast weapon switching you have 0 chance to survive. You can't use your own rox/flack beacause you are to close and have to little health to risk using a slash damage weapon of your own. And the next shot he fires will likely kill you even if he misses. So you whip out yer lg and try to pop him one before his flack/rox reloads. Hitting the 1 lg shot is your only chance to live.

To me that senario is much more exciting and dynamic that being forced to keep using rox/flack and in the best case, kill him and yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by DavenH
                      presently you can destroy rockets with the shock primary
                      lies

Originally posted by garcia_y_vega
                      So you whip out yer lg and try to pop him one before his flack/rox reloads. Hitting the 1 lg shot is your only chance to live.
                      why not just shoot him with flak primary? that would have just as much chance of saving ya. and yes, i realize that fact is entirely insignificant to your point :-P

Comment

You could try flack prim, but it might kill you even if you hit him. LG is only way to 100% kill him w/o dying yourself.

Comment

That seems paradoxical at least. How can the use of more weapons possibilities make for less dynamic gameplay?
                          Yes, it does seem very paradoxal. The whole idea of paradoxes is things that SEEM illogical and evidently untrue but aren't, isn't it? As for your question, how about the way I just said? If you can use all weapons in 10 seconds (this is literally true) you'll get tired of the weapons much faster than if you can only use all weapons in 5 minutes. (like, 10 fights)
                          There's nothing stopping you using just one weapons anyway.
                          It's very disadvantageous not to switch weapons all the time. Duh.

garcia_y_vega: exactly the same could be achieved with more powerful weapons. Besides... beating the odds? Your opponent could do exactly the same. The same still applies if there's only slow weapon switching, only then you beat the odds by selecting your weapons smartly rather than selecting them super quickly.

Comment

Well, the odds are stacked highly against you in my senario, so if you kill your enemy with out dying you have "beaten the odds" so to speak.

If the opponent switched to LG when I only had 20 health he wouldn't be "beating the odds" he would be an idiot. The odds are stacked like 99% in his favor. If there was only slow swtich there would be NO chance for me to win in the situation. Like I said, the best case senario with a slow switch would be you kill him and yourself. My point is that fast switch = more dynamic gameplay. A battle should not be solely determined by the weapon you 1st have out.

Comment

Well, the odds are stacked highly against you in my senario, so if you kill your enemy with out dying you have "beaten the odds" so to speak.
                              Because of the fast weapon switch, the odds AREN'T stacked against you, even though they should be.

A battle should not be solely determined by the weapon you 1st have out.
                              And they aren't, even if the weapon switch was very long. There's still such a thing as skill and luck.
                              My point is that with the current weapon switch, it doesn't even matter what weapon you have selected. Even if you play like an idiot and have the ARs selected before you enter a fight, you're not really at a disadvantage. To you, it may be beating the odds if you switch from the ARs to the flak and kill your opponent. Me, I'm not all that interested in beating good odds.

Another reason fast weapon switching isn't really a good thing is because it makes having multiple weapons much more powerful. In TDM, most battles aren't decided by who fights best but by who had the MOST weapons. If I only have an LG and my opponent has an LG and a rocketlauncher, he'll just lunge forward and rocket me. If I only have a rocketlauncher and my opponent has the LG and the rocketlauncher, the moment he gets out of range he has a giant advantage. All of this makes spawnraping so much easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X