Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by qazxswedc
    your ping is limited to 1 divided by the tickrate in game, 99% of the time. Once in a while it might blink lower.

1/20 = .050 seconds (20 is default tr, most servers use this)
    1/70 = .014 seconds

so you're within 2ms or normal there. You have a dam good ping. Your real ping should be lower.

your "real ping" never changes with the tickrate. You do a tracert or use ping at dos line to see the real ping. For instance I real ping 16ms, but in game its 1/35=.028 seconds.

in a really crowded server, a 70 tickrate slows down the gamespeed if you look closely. Should be ok for a 1v1 though. But if you can crank up the TR that high, then you can also jack up the Netspeed and get a higher framerate. i run my server at 35 tr 20000 ns, i like it. dont wanna go back to 10000 either. Have to tweak .ini's to make it work, or use console netspeed 20000 at every match. I've just always wondered why everybody cranks the TR but not the Netspeed.
    Now that is some great info.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Excellent info, thanks for posting it.

Each of our previous servers used a tickrate of 20 as you suggested.

I'd joined a server of Nuclear Fallouts (use F8 as a reference if you decided to join there please. ) and had a 16ms ping consistently so I decided to try them out. When I did and got a 48ms ping I asked them about it via live chat (where I was amazed that they answered immediately!). Their staff said "Let me check something" then came back and said to change the tickrate to 70 and give it a try. I did and the ping dropped.

This is the first host I've been with that had real "live help", and to be honest, I could get used to it. :P

I switched to SBC DSL a little over a year ago and I'm here to tell you, for gaming it's where it's at. My pings are always lower than my clan mates and almost anything in Chicago equates to a 32ms or lower ping with no PL (near me anyway). I'm in hog heaven with this connection.

What settings do you suggest on the server and client for optimum gaming? Also, how would those settings get along with netcode in UTComp? Should it be disabled for particular tickrate/netspeed settings? While I don't necessarily need it, some of F8's members do.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    your ping is limited to 1 divided by the tickrate in game, 99% of the time. Once in a while it might blink lower.

1/20 = .050 seconds (20 is default tr, most servers use this)
    1/70 = .014 seconds

so you're within 2ms or normal there. You have a dam good ping. Your real ping should be lower.

your "real ping" never changes with the tickrate. You do a tracert or use ping at dos line to see the real ping. For instance I real ping 16ms, but in game its 1/35=.028 seconds.

in a really crowded server, a 70 tickrate slows down the gamespeed if you look closely. Should be ok for a 1v1 though. But if you can crank up the TR that high, then you can also jack up the Netspeed and get a higher framerate. i run my server at 35 tr 20000 ns, i like it. dont wanna go back to 10000 either. Have to tweak .ini's to make it work, or use console netspeed 20000 at every match. I've just always wondered why everybody cranks the TR but not the Netspeed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I didn't really realize what a difference that made, but it makes a big difference. My ping went from 48 to 16 when that setting was changed from the default value.

Crazy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jezza101
    "Tickrate is 70" :S
    Bring your own SDSL.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "Tickrate is 70" :S

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We're in the USA. I realize there's more than one F8 though. We've been around for a little over a year. The server is located in Chicago.

You can view our info here - http://www.clanfate.com

Leave a comment:

• replied
    F8 is still alive? Or is that the USA part of it?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic F8 has a new server

F8 has a new server

For any of you that used to play on our old server, the IP has changed as our old host went south. The new info is:

UT2004://f8.nuclearfallout.net:7777

For the IP boys and girls:

UT2004://216.52.143.144:7777

It's a private server, mostly 1v1, with a pass of: f8

UTComp is on

Tickrate is 70, pings are low, frags are high. Come get 'em.

{F8}Slaide
Working...
X