Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Boksha
    No it hasn't.
    I was being facetious.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by qazxswedc
    They are a few characters, matrix for ex., that are way too dark, and if it weren't for brightskins, all the competitive pros would use that one skin.
    No they wouldn't-most "l33t" players that I know play as Gorge, because they forcemodel.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by placebo 3.0
    You're an idiot. No offense or anything.
    quoted for truth. :heart:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    :haha: :haha: :haha:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm more concerned that the ut2k7 is being designed solely for console gamers running at no more than 1024x768 30-60fps and dual analog controllers:down: . There will only be one game, not seperate ut on pc, and uc on console, just one game for both. No point in making the game run fast at high resolutions, etc., if most of the customers are using TV's. Most ppl in the community will either buy a ps3 anyways, or buy one to avoid upgrading to a big computer rig, so min. specs are a null issue IMO. 1024x768, 60fps, I'm willing to bet 2 cents thats the most it will run at on a typical computer. Until you've cranked the graphics up so that its like that, you haven't fully utilized the PS3's potiental. Also, a joystick is no where near as good as a mouse, so no point in moving combo's and hitscan really, the aiming will have to dumbed down, the weapons overpowered, with major splash damage. I dunno why the consoles dont have mice for FPS games yet(at least not a fully functional normal mouse). After all, uc2 is 10 times more popular than any of the PC unreal games. Whereas ut99'ers might think they are nerfing the dodging, and making weapons more powerful because epic has learned its lesson, its really just so folk can play with joysticks IMO. Imagine trying to do ut2k4 style dodging with a joystick, no way you can double tap like that. Only way you can make a joystick work, is to boost up projectile speed and increase splash damage. Go listen to the new interview over at gamespot if you don't believe me(quote "we got the game feeling good with the joystick","one of the things I hate about PC gaming...clan stuff blah blah"). The pc community will be a side show compared to what will be on PS3. For some reason, just about any game has 10,000+ ppl if its on console. Its where the money is at, bottom line. I perfer 1280x1024 at least, 85hz refresh, and a nice mouse, and a good challenge. Can't do any of the above with a TV or console.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by WailofSuicide
    My guess on why UT99 skins were more visible because the models were much, much simpler and combat took place at much closer ranges. Trying to pack in all the visual information for the characters when their model occupies a whole 10 pixels on your screen seems to make them average out to be much less noticeable.
    I think the biggest factor is bad mapdesign. More precisely, bad choice of textures and too much distance fog. The playermodels come second place, but they really are worse than in UT.
    The distance of combat doesn't make a difference. Just play DM-Compressed (which is mostly close range) to confirm that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My guess on why UT99 skins were more visible because the models were much, much simpler and combat took place at much closer ranges. Trying to pack in all the visual information for the characters when their model occupies a whole 10 pixels on your screen seems to make them average out to be much less noticeable.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Gotta agree with Boksha here. And Xyx that was a great skin comparison shot, and I see it the same way. Some brightskins are just gawd awful, and make the game look uglier. I'll settle for the uniform being naturally bright enough to stand out than a glowing texture thrown across the entire player model.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crotale
    That would definitely level the playing field if all the comp players used Matrix. Skins problem has been solved. Or has it?
    No it hasn't.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    But are the skins really that important people??????

They are a few characters, matrix for ex., that are way too dark, and if it weren't for brightskins, all the competitive pros would use that one skin.
    That would definitely level the playing field if all the comp players used Matrix. Skins problem has been solved. Or has it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    But are the skins really that important people??????

I'm more concerned that the ut2k7 is being designed solely for console gamers running at no more than 1024x768 30-60fps and dual analog controllers:down: . There will only be one game, not seperate ut on pc, and uc on console, just one game for both. No point in making the game run fast at high resolutions, etc., if most of the customers are using TV's. Most ppl in the community will either buy a ps3 anyways, or buy one to avoid upgrading to a big computer rig, so min. specs are a null issue IMO. 1024x768, 60fps, I'm willing to bet 2 cents thats the most it will run at on a typical computer. Until you've cranked the graphics up so that its like that, you haven't fully utilized the PS3's potiental. Also, a joystick is no where near as good as a mouse, so no point in moving combo's and hitscan really, the aiming will have to dumbed down, the weapons overpowered, with major splash damage. I dunno why the consoles dont have mice for FPS games yet(at least not a fully functional normal mouse). After all, uc2 is 10 times more popular than any of the PC unreal games. Whereas ut99'ers might think they are nerfing the dodging, and making weapons more powerful because epic has learned its lesson, its really just so folk can play with joysticks IMO. Imagine trying to do ut2k4 style dodging with a joystick, no way you can double tap like that. Only way you can make a joystick work, is to boost up projectile speed and increase splash damage. Go listen to the new interview over at gamespot if you don't believe me(quote "we got the game feeling good with the joystick","one of the things I hate about PC gaming...clan stuff blah blah"). The pc community will be a side show compared to what will be on PS3. For some reason, just about any game has 10,000+ ppl if its on console. Its where the money is at, bottom line. I perfer 1280x1024 at least, 85hz refresh, and a nice mouse, and a good challenge. Can't do any of the above with a TV or console.

Skins is the last thing I worried about. No matter what epic does, not everyone will like the skins, so epic will leave it up to mutators to fix the problem, which is probably the most effiencent way of handling the situation.

If you don't like brightskin mods, then ask someone to make a "darkskin" mod. Its that easy.

LCD monitors are way brighter and more contrast and you gotta figure that when ppl tell you they cant see something, they're not crazy or anything.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Forgive my ignorence on this but...
    It would seem that some skins are more visible on some maps, while others would be on different maps. So, depending on the mix, you do have an advantage or disadvantage.

I do see in ut99 the skin colors do seem more visible, but maybe it it the fact it is more up close. Maybe it was the fact the maps had more brown, lots of brown, lots of brown.

Stealth/hiding should be a part of the gameplay, no reason to make it impossible by making everyone neon signs.:weird:

Maybe making each skin/team color actually be dual color, so it would be less likely to blend in totally.

As far as the original armor issue (Was that this thread?), would be nice if it did affect hit-points and speed. More armor higher HP, lower speed. Seems like a reasonable trade-off.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xyx
    I have nothing against visible skins, but I can't believe Epic will ever release an Unreal series game in which all characters look like walking neon commercials. However, there appear to be valid alternatives. Why some people prefer the neon, I'll never understand...
    As it is, the neon skins are available (with UTComp or in TAM), and it's quite obvious they give an advantage when you use them (or, because everybody uses them, give a disadvantage when you don't use them)
    The neon skins were made in the first place however because there was too much difference in visibility (particularly some skins were all but invisible) between the existing skins. If there's no need for neon skins in the first place, hopefully nobody will put them in a mutator and when they do, the mutator doesn't become the competition standard.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
    .....then they are finally going to see the UT99 players finally make the jump to the new game.
    lol... Flak, always the quintessential optimist.
    I'm pretty sure I can remember your "How to capture the UT99'ers" posts since the EARLY days of UT2k3.

No they won't... because they don't want to. I've seen hardcore UT99's complain that UTR and Nostalgic aren't "UT" enough, and those mods are getting dangerously close to gameplay clones of UT99.

Whether it's old machines, or they just like where they are at, these guys just want to play UT99. Quake 4 and Source are proof that people don't want to move on for the sake of moving on, regardless of how close the gameplay is to the original.

More power to them.... I am actually somewhat envious that they are able to continually enjoy the same game year after year. As much as I loved UT99, it was starting to get a bit stale.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok so I havent totally read the whole thread so forgive me if I repeat someone...

I have only one question,

How the hell can people say they dislike 2k4's brightly colored stock skins (advocating thinner darker skins ala matrix and abbandon) and at the same time complain that the stock skins are to dark?

It doesn't add up.... :weird:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X