Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just my two cents, to lighten up the mood

Everybody that insists on stealth must set worlddetail=high too

Remember, an epic guy once said that if you have a computer that can handle high world detail but set it low, you're basically cheating

BTW colours: i'd take red-2004 and blue-99. That's the colours i like best. Red-99 is sometimes too dark already...

Comment

It'd be more worthwhile to have user selectable colors by default.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerGut
        It'd be more worthwhile to have user selectable colors by default.
        Yes, I agree, while good standard skins are needed, the ability to increase visibility clientside would be something very worthwile and elliminate this issue once and for all.

You also got to keep in mind that not everyone interprets color equally, women for example see a wider colourspectrum then men.
        Also, while it has not been scientifically proven it could be that my yellow is your blue, and your purple is my green. Because in the colorcircle every color is relative to eachother this does not oppose any issue in visual communication, it might however slightly influence the way a different persons interpret color.

There are however more way to seperate objects from a background, this can be trough value, color, sharpness, saturaton, line thickness (in cell shaded games), etc...
        It's allso important to keep in mind that value and color are also relative.

I could write a page explaining myself but I'll just show these images as they make it much more clear. They might be 2D but the rules of color, value and form translate into 3D space asswell, it just gets a more complicated situation, especially with games like UT.

Borrowed them from http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/

Comment

No, that would be a nightmare. People would organize a fifty-person thinktank to calculate which skin and color combination is statistically the least visible, and then everyone would be using it.

I believe Epic is including customizable armor though.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo 3.0
            No, that would be a nightmare. People would organize a fifty-person thinktank to calculate which skin and color combination is statistically the least visible, and then everyone would be using it.

I believe Epic is including customizable armor though.
            No, I mean YOU decide how all people look on YOUR screen.
            THEY decide how people look on THEIR screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Zynith
              No, I mean YOU decide how all people look on YOUR screen.
              THEY decide how people look on THEIR screen.
              Exactly, all the problems are solved.

Comment

so in other words i might look like a glowstick to you and you might look like a really nice skin to me ..no thanks...I liked UT99's way same skin for all if it was not on the CD it was not in the ladder..easy and simple no modification allowed,there will be ample skins to choose from choose one and get used to it ,now if that same rule applies to all we have no problem.

Comment

I would like the default skins to be like the Enhanced Epic skins that you can see in movies like UnrealNorth and Finish it... These skins are clearly visible but they still look nice... and about stealth, I don't think being able to hide in corners is stealthy... stealth to me is about tricking your opponent, and you can still trick your opponent with the neon skins, you just have to smart about it rather than just standing still in a dark corner...

Comment

Exactly, all the problems are solved.
                    But why, then, would anybody use low-visibility skins, putting themselves at a disadvantage?

Comment

Originally posted by placebo 3.0
                      But why, then, would anybody use low-visibility skins, putting themselves at a disadvantage?
                      Who said anything about doing that? I'm just saying let the people chose the colors they like for team skins.

Comment

Who said anything about doing that? I'm just saying let the people chose the colors they like for team skins.
                        What if I want to enjoy the look of a nice-looking skin without putting myself in a disadvantage?

Comment

Personally I think the idea of different colors representing say, red, for example is ridiculous unless you are color-blind. The 4 team model lets you choose green or gold teams anyway, so they should include that. But changing the colors of skins is not just a preference, it puts others at a disadvantage if they don't feel inclined to change the skin color every map to keep the colors contrasting, and you do. The more stuff you give people to exploit in the game, the more they will do it. Keeping it simple and making the game the same for everyone is far preferable and will keep people from getting frustrated and leaving 2k7 like they did 2k3 and 4.

Comment

Don't forget guys, there are a lot of very popular servers out there that DO rely on stealth. The snipers and campers are a very active part in the UT community even if they don't post here. Five of the Ten most active DM servers in the evening (US) are sniper servers, and a lot of them have put on stealth skins because the EPIC skins are too bright. Eight of the top ten most active TDM servers in UT 99 are sniper/ camping servers. It may not be your style of play, but its still quite popular. If EPIC caters to those players as well as the casual and competitive players (customizable settings) then they are finally going to see the UT99 players finally make the jump to the new game.

Comment

I have nothing against visible skins, but I can't believe Epic will ever release an Unreal series game in which all characters look like walking neon commercials. However, there appear to be valid alternatives. Why some people prefer the neon, I'll never understand...

GOOD

[shot]http://home.hccnet.nl/lord.mithril/Brighblue.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://home.hccnet.nl/lord.mithril/Brighred.jpg[/shot]

BAD

[shot]http://euro.porosky.com/Cygnus/brightskins.jpg[/shot]

Comment

Ok so I havent totally read the whole thread so forgive me if I repeat someone...

I have only one question,

How the hell can people say they dislike 2k4's brightly colored stock skins (advocating thinner darker skins ala matrix and abbandon) and at the same time complain that the stock skins are to dark?

It doesn't add up.... :weird:

Comment

Working...
                                X