New UT2007 Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boksha
    I'm guessing she is. At least the long black hair does point in that direction.
    I'm so very NOT liking those designs btw. They look like soldiers, not tournament fighters.
    You better get a handle on what you think a tournament fighter looks like, because so far you've been criticizing things for looking too futuristic/extreme, and I would have thought the more soldier-looking, the better.

Also, remember that these teams are pretty well-backed professional outfits: they have the wherewithal to get expensive armor.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal_Gore
      You got a link to where that was confirmed?
      It was very likely the the PSM article on UT2k7

Comment

I think this is where a big gap has formed between the players that started the series at UT1 or before, and the ones that have started at 2003/2004.

I started at 2003 so I never really gotten emotionally attached to the 99 look, call it nostalgic or whatever but players generally feel the most comfortable with the image they had when they first got in touch with a series such as UT.
        I'm fine with Jugs, but I can understand that the "vets" had a rather alienating feeling when they saw these armoured brutes instead of the futuristic criminal serving as a gladiator.

I'dd define the UT99 style more as a postpunk look, rather then the scifi look UT200x has. When you think of it the differences are quite big actually, and I think preferences are based at from which point you dropped into the series.

I think some people would like to see something more criminal like this - wish I could find a better image tough, this one kinda sucks at explaining.

What would you think of something like this in UT? Lots of armour but less buf characters?

Comment

thats bad@ss Z

Comment

absoulutly not please ...no offence but you bring up a good point UT people liked the UT game of which 2k3 and 2k4 were nothing like UT at all not weapons not player models etc etc.. so where in the world woould you think that a punk would fit in ??? now in 2k3 a punk would fit in fact there is one in the opening movie..now all the people who have tried to l8ike 2k3 and 2k4 (like me ) have been holding on that someday there would be some game simialr to UT and having punks in it in not that game...like i said no offence meant in anyway..

Look at the picture i posted on the previous page that is what i would like to see the players more resemble of course with updated graphics and some more imagination ..in UT you could more relate to real people ..just by the players looks .

Comment

My point is I don't want to see stylized armour. I want believable characters, not cartoony monsters.
              That's why for you Epic will put in a number of lesser 'charicatured' chars. But leave us our hopping two-legged tanks, please ?

Comment

Originally posted by Zynith

This guy rocks!!!! And that's the end of that!!!! This is exactly the type of characters i'd like to see...

Comment

Postpunk.. an interesting definition, not sure how accurate. There was definitely something unique about its atmosphere which was lost in the next 2 iterations.. I think that mostly this was a combination of the engine itself with the setting of the game which gave it a retro/futuristic feel. Some elements perhaps felt like some cyberpunk movie, but at the same time, one could argue that 2kx has much more "punk" characters... and that is not a good thing from what I've seen. and for the record I don't really think that character suits the UT world. The trend has been towards bulking up armor and clothing, rather than making muscular and well defined bodies which gives the impression of toughness, and is a style I favor artistically, not to mention that is how the original game felt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lert
                    That's why for you Epic will put in a number of lesser 'charicatured' chars. But leave us our hopping two-legged tanks, please ?
                    When I said "I want believable characters" I meant, of course, " I want to SEE believable characters", not "I want to PLAY AS a believable character". I don't care if there's one or two believable characters, if there's loads of bulky cartoon characters bouncing around it'll ruin the look of the game.

Originally posted by placebo 3.0
                    You better get a handle on what you think a tournament fighter looks like, because so far you've been criticizing things for looking too futuristic/extreme, and I would have thought the more soldier-looking, the better.

Also, remember that these teams are pretty well-backed professional outfits: they have the wherewithal to get expensive armor.
                    Tournament arenas tend to be rather confined, and even in the game modes like ONS most of the armour is provided by the vehicles, and running speed and agility is much more important than body armour. (edit: changed "speed" to "running speed and agility" and "armour" to "body armour" for clarity)
                    For soldiers in the field, you'd expect a country to equip them with futuristic power armour as soon as it's available even if it reduces the soldier's ability to sprint short distances or evade gunfire. In an open field without vehicles for protection you're not going to evade gunfire even IF you're fast, so armour is more helpful even if it slows you down.
                    In the tournament however the competitors rely on speed, brutality and tactics, not superior technology or more bulk. The only exception are the robots/cyborgs that the tournament organisers themselves smuggled in, like Xan and his army of the corrupt.
                    Not to mention that even if there are fancypants that spend a lot of money on technology to win the tournament, I feel a significant part of the fighters should still be comprised of convicts, criminals, cannon fodder and jobless ex-military that look to win a living. Excessive armour doesn't fit in there too well.

Comment

When I said "I want believable characters" I meant, of course, " I want to SEE believable characters", not "I want to PLAY AS a believable character". I don't care if there's one or two believable characters, if there's loads of bulky cartoon characters bouncing around it'll ruin the look of the game.

Well, that's what forcemodel is for .. Ofcourse, that would remove all variety and you'd stare at the same character twenty times over on a big map / busy server.

I guess the bottom line is, you can't please Everyone. There will always be people who prefer This over That, and people who'd rather have That instead of This, and some people (like me) who genuinely like to have a big variety to choose from / look at, even if some of those models will become quite silly in their extravagance - be it with armor, colors, style (Egyptians anyone ?) or what have you.

One option would be, a standard in-game forcemodel where you can select to have just one skin for everyone, or simply have all skins of a certain type (IE Juggs) replaced by random skins from another team (IE Ironguard) Sort of like a checklist "I don't want to see This model, I don't mind This model, oh This one's right out" etc etc.

Comment

In my own robot opinion I've always envisioned Unreal combatants as armored humanoids, but with light armor. Not as Juggernauts layered in tons of armor. Most characters in the UT2k series I don't have a problem with, except for the Jugg models who are too stocky as well as armored, and Mr Crow who looks downright silly, and the ladies that are too slender. They look like they'd break in half really. The only problem I have with Abaddon is that the colors on his armor are too rusty or grungy and just don't stand out. The model is fine, however.

I think the other extreme is Kragoth, who looks under-armored. He looks like he's in a pair of slacks, tennis shoes, and a tank-top. No offense but what are civilians doing out there in the warzone?! I'm a Necris fan and it appears Kragoth was called into the tourney while he was on vacation or something.

Comment

Boksha's opinions and statements are usually the ones you should listen to, because they are backed up by facts.

But in this case Boksha isn't even allowed to have an opinion on the look and feel of the characters.... ....because he likes the Anubians in UT2k4. :sour:

Comment

When I said "I want believable characters" I meant, of course, " I want to SEE believable characters ..."
                            If you need an extra bit of realism, run the SpeciesStatistics mutator... the skaarji monsters will jump higher, light soldiers will run faster, and I think the juggs can take up more damage than the rest... I don't think you will.

As you want it, every single character would have to look like the mercs. Or anubans maybe.

So far I don't see any trouble in realism there. I mean, the nightmare characters for example are half cyborgs or do heavily rely on drugs. Actually Ophelia is the only one that is under-armored imho. But then again, from a physical point of view, a slick slim warrior COULD even take less damage than a heavily armored one, for example if a rocket hit the wall right next to you, or if a heavy sniper projectile softly went right through the flesh instead of giving the full impact to the armor and body... also they appear to be smaller & harder to hit. To me, taking/giving damage doesn't feel or LOOK unrealistic when playing.

And this is not adressed to anyone specific, but just to remind:
                            Don't play utcomp (with hitsounds and alike) and whine about realism at the same time :up:

But this is getting picky, and is far off the thread title. So...

Comment

Originally posted by fftunes
                              And this is not adressed to anyone specific, but just to remind:
                              Don't play utcomp (with hitsounds and alike) and whine about realism at the same time :up:
                              But what about those, who like to max out graphics and sound to feel like in a real sci-fi battle in ons for example sometimes... ...and on the other day dumb down everything activate UTComp/TAM to have a competition.

I like both... ...sometimes this, sometimes that.

Comment

@Magwa: I think you've missed Zynith's point a little. He's not nesacerily talking about Punk as in, everyone looks like a sex pistol, but about the image and visual style that's often gloosed over & rather generically called Cyberpunk

You've got to admit, UT99 ows much more to Blade Runner, and scifi-punk authors like William Gibson & Neal Steaphenson, than say to the modern hollywood style of SF, StarshipTroopers, clean design and shiny armour style that UT2Kx lives in.

If you look at any of the old 80's, Cyberpunk RPGs, all the source material and concept design could have stepped right out of UT99, personally I'd say he means more the generally accepted style rather than tying to say that all the characters have spiky hair and saftey pins in thier jeans.

As for my view, well, the intro to UT99 did (as I mentioned) remind me of BladeRunner, so it was easy to put it into that slighty disturbing near future typa setting.
                                As the games went on, it seemed a bit natural that the tournament moved on, with more spectator-tech (the little floatycams, and teleporting to the arenas from the 2K3 intro, etc..), although I never really gave it ny concious thought, it just seemed normal that the guys would begin to wear more armour, to replace the amateur fghters and criminal *volunters*, with ex-military and corporate-sponsored *celebrity* teams.

I mean, if you wanted to be *really* picky, you could look at football.
                                Think back to the 60's, where all the players wore skimpy, skin tight shorts because that's all there was in them days, & crappy looking, unfashionable (even for then) t-shirts, and the haircut left over from last year's christmas bash, and the majority of them still needed day-jobs.

Then look at the industry today. Football boot adverts that look more like sportscar ads, and boots that look like sportscars, the same spectator-tech (well, except for the teleporters :P), networks practically goiong to war over contract rights, players spending more than I earn in a decade getting crazy haircuts and designer kit just to go training in, and all the while, the crowd loves it.

It's not tricky to imagine the Tournament advancing style-wise as the engine advances (and as time passes, etc..), although again, it's not really something I'd given much thought to as I layed, it just seemed normal to me..

Comment

Working...
                                X